Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Druids and Rangers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:12 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I dont know about most people but i have tested druids and played a ranger in the new system....and apart from nature spells for druids and track for rangers and ranged :P they seem to be quite weak compared to most of the others, i dont really know any suggestions as of now but i was hoping others could help me in that part...i will test them further to see and find out more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:52 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I suggest higher percentage in bows for rangers, give them 99% in bows. A naturally faster shot would also be nice. And perhaps an auto 25% in Salvaging.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:49 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

i agree about the ranger but not druid. druid are still powerful, too bad they cant dual wield. No one knows how to use a druid properly. A druid with 2 other classes can be extremely deadly if they are chosen correctly.

There isnt much to talk about Rangers because they simply suck. I like to see more bow bonus added to rangers.
Possibilities:
multishots
poison arrows
flame arrows
acid arrows
Piercing damage causes bleeding
you get the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:25 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

perhaps a spin type skill?
where if they shoot the arrow hard enuff it goes straight thru one opponent and into another? dunno :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:38 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

It's kind of hard in real life to shoot multiple arrows at a time, let alone shoot an arrow through two people. The idea of Fire/Poison arrows might work as well as better bow percent or faster shooting ability. Or maybe give rangers some other boosts while wearing light armor.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:45 am 
Dual-Avatar

Well rangers are a partially magic class. Perhaps give them their own archer spell school which contains spells...maybe move Arrow to that school, put multishot, enchant quiver (using elements), could get some decent spells which don't take away from their melee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:03 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  ICQ  Profile

Being that I'm a pure-melee kind of player, playing anything even remotely magical is shakey to me.

I've tried to make a druid, she's still at level 30, and anything that she tries to go after leaves her either incapacitated or constantly having to flee.

And it's not that she isn't well-equipped or strong enough, she is. I purposely put crafted eq, weapons and other stat-raising items on my druid for the sole purpose of levelling her with little to no magic. And it's not in just one area, it's areas that are either close to her level or where her level is median in regards to the level range itself.

I haven't tried her in the new system yet, but unless druids have been upped where melee is concerned, they still aren't worth levelling.

Post subject: Druids
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:45 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Celeborn has already asked about druids and rangers on the avatar channel. I posted the ideas on the idea board but ill c/p them here so you can discuss them.
the help files states that they: Able to face many warriors on almost even
footing, and able to shield themselves nearly as well as some mages, druids are truly a gifted class.
druids get maces and staves to 50, blowguns to 30, and everything else to 10
in general it lacks very strong skill/spells to make it very wanted, things
like rosethorn and ironwood are just "handy"
earthquake doesnt do enough damage in epics (not even comparable to distort) and meteor isnt nature when logically it should be and the damage is also minimal.
thorn is the worst spell in the world and lasts an incredibly short amount of
time
entangle is entirely way 2 slow and the effects are unknown
and shapeshift basically doesn't do much since there are only 2 types u really want to use: treant or unicorn. And all the advantages u get can just as easily be gained by enchanting stats into eq without the disadvantages u get with shapeshift
mb faerie fire should be enhanced as well to give it some advantage in counterspells

lingolas responded by saying he agreed but left out elementals and said they should be able to summon 2. and other summoning spells should be buffed. he also said meteorite should be physical.
I responded with:
I left out elementals cuz i think theyre fine. but yes other summoning spells should be improved.
fyi its Meteor/Spike. And so if Earthquake is a natural disaster, Meteors dont exist at all in nature is that it? Magical elemental breath = unnatural =
physical, distort = same, meteor = big large rock from outerspace = nature. And it should be nature because druids need it more than mages do, ill bet 90% of all mages have never cast meteor and just stick to distort and breath which is more than enough for them. And with a til it becomes an elemental bunch of *spikes* that come out of the *earth*. Seems like a nature spell to me...closer to nature than phsyical in any case.
So theres something for discussion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:46 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Id like to add poison to that list. It still lasts an incredibly short time.

Post subject: from idea board
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:39 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

ahh. Lets make them rangers good again!!!
* charge at a greater distance.
* lower summmoning ability(save for druid)
* increase sensory
* allow arrows to be enchantable to make up for single wield. or
* allow arrows to be dipped in poison/spell effected/fire/oil...
* eat/drink less
* increase hunting(is there such thing as hunting?)
* greater exploration exp points
* should be 99% in bows(longbows only)
* should be 90% in swords if not already
* extra wear location (maybe)
* increase nature but not much (if not already)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:46 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Quote:
Class Config Spec. Adepts Other Classes
===================== ====== ======= ===== ===========================
Pure Melee 3x99% 3x85% 80% Warrior, Rogue
Hybrid (Mainly Melee) 3x80% 2x70% 60% Ranger, Paladin
Hybrid (Mainly Magic) 2x60% 2x50% 25% Psionicist, Bard, Cleric
Pure Magic 2x50% 1x30% 10% Druid, Mage

(2x70% means the class will have 2 specific weapon types they can raise
to 70% skill).

Althought it would make sense for ranger to have higher ranged skills, it does go against the weapon skills. I think they should just gain new skills or spells which affet their ranged weapons. If you are going to rasie the skills of one class in the Mainly Melee group, then the other should be too. Of course, if you raised paladin to 99% swords, then they'd be too good. Oh well, not like most people really care about what help weapon_skills says, but I think it's like that for a reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:54 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

If you use the code tag around your text, it will be in pre-formatted courier-style font.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:37 am 
Dual-Avatar

When I use code it priviews as having the same bg color as it does text color:
Code:
This is a test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:52 am 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:41 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I agree with all the pts Isabelle made cept for the longbow thing. Tech. i suppose many fantasy themes focus on the longbow for rangers and elves and such, but the smaller races are being forgotten. Maybe some sort of exception or more general rule? I know you can get past size but it doesnt really help you in the short term.

Post subject: btw
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:03 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

those were not my own, i think lingolas was the original poster of that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:07 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

hmm maybe it's just me but i think rangers are kinda fine as it is

when i made my alt a single class ranger, he was doing fine with just the basic levelling mob eq

the only thing i'd like to see is maybe a spell or two more but then again, they're not amazing at magic as it is, so maybe an extra skill or two like maybe being able to make a healing paste out of things you can forage to counter the fact they dont get a very good healing spell......plus it'd help the lower level rangers if they could have healing pastes with them

and before anyone mentions the healing juices, i've seen a lot of lower level people asking for heals and potions and stuff on ooc recently, so it seems to me that juices are a thing only a tri-av alt would know about until the newb is told about them. So giving the newb a new way of healing themselves would be a good thing in my opinion

Oh and if the paste is implemented, please ensure that young uns can find out about it easily :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:02 pm 

Why is it that people always want to beef up the classes and races, more spells, more skills, etc. I have played every class except Bard, and every race except Gnome, and have never had a problem leveling any of them, and I adventure solo. DL has gotten much too easy to level characters as it is, putting the restrictions on Signals is a step in the right direction. I do agree that the Meteor spell should be a nature spell, as it does seem to fit that type of spell, and is not really needed by a mage. Every class and race has its strengths and weaknesses, and I think that the game is well balanced because of it. If you are having trouble leveling, you are not using your character to their full ability. It does not surprise me that many have problems, as they level their characters to fast and they have not taken the time to build or equip a character properly.
Arureal, the absent-minded elf
Hate me if you must, but I can only say the truth as I see it.
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:13 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

we're not talking about levelling characters cos most of us on this forum have levelled many characters, we're talking about how unbalanced they can be at epic levels and in pvp and other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:34 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Even so, i levelled a first class druid and in the two years ive been here and in the many alts ive made and remade etc, that sucked the worst ever. I mean i tried utilizing the spell aspect...earthquake etc = crap. I tried using melee, ie. maces = yick but thats what i stuck with. Rangers in general are fine except for my above stated comments. Druids are what im really interested in. I have 2 druids now, one at e100+. I can easily state that none of my druid spells are utilized at all except for my ward spell with slash, but thats just either one type of ward and enchant the other resist or the opposite. and the rosethorn, ironwood spells.

Post subject: druid
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:01 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

rosethorn and ironwood does not only benefit druids, they benefit everyone else too. I suggest that we make ironwood and rosethorn only wearable by druids :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:24 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

And enchant weapon spells only available to mages and they can only wear the eq they cast on? Give me a break. Those are utility spells that enhance norm eq but especially crafted items. Theres no logical premise for that either. If he can cast it on one wooden armor then he can on another. Same with enchant weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I have a ranger character, and NONE of the spells except for recall that he got while leveling as ranger were useful enough for me to conjure. It seems to me that this class is more melee than it is magical, so either remove the magic entirely and just amke them nature loving warriors who can rustle up some grub, and can do some damage with a bow, or give them better spells.

And as to the point about "it being rather hard to shoot multiple arrows or shoot one through somebody"

I doubt there were many warriors who could spin around really fast and not get themselves killed during or immediately after said maneuver.

And this is a fantasy game, and if you look at myths and legends of hero's etc some of them were strong enough to do such uber things. In a realm where magic and dragons live, things like that should be possible as well. For isntance an ogre using a compound bow made for an ogre would probably do a good job of sending an ogre arrow through a Human. Perhaps size of the ranger and his weapon vs size of the enemy he's attacking could play a role in the arrow going through?

Also, as I think Silvanos pointed out a long while back, maybe arrows could lodge into someone and cause less balance/mobility/movement and more blood loss etc., or extra dmg for moving around while stuck full of arrows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:29 pm 
Dual-Avatar

What I want for rangers:

More spells
I think rangers should get more spells which are actually useful. Maybe a bless type spell which only applies to bows? A spell to enchant a quiver/bow with a certain element?

If no spells, make them pure fighters
This would mean that they would earn 99% in bows, crossbows, and swords (or change this to a different weapon if someone can think of a reason another fits better). This would also allow them to get more skills (although they do have more battle skills then paladins :(. Perhaps give them the oppurtunity to fill the bottom of a quiver arrows with poison or some flammable liquid. For the flammable, they could have a 'light' skill which they use to ignite the arrow (1-2 second extra lag?) before they fire it. The poison option would probably be easy to code, seeing as how there are already poisons.

More access to nature
Allow them to get a familiar (other than just those damn feys/dragonettes/sprites) which is in addition to a pet. I believe there is a note about adding eagles in, perhaps use this or something similar. They could have to go to a forest and use a certain skill to get this familiar, depending on the forest area, it could be different than other areas. The familiar could level up in proportion to you (level/2?) and even increase into epic levels. Druids too should get this, but I see ranger as having a stronger skill in it (I generally think of druids as the spiritual side and rangers the physical side).

Other stuff
Well I forget what else I was gonna suggest...but there's more.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the arrows getting lodged thing.

Post subject: how about...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:31 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

new elemental rune for rangers
when added to shapeshift gives you options of certain creature types which are cool.

(all forest type animals - including possibly green dragon?)