Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Classes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:49 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Just writing this one so people can bounce around the ideas of new classes they think of. Or maybe classes replaced and such....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:52 am 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Monk and Merchant are two classes half-way completed. Monk was to specialize in new combat skills, while Merchant had some specialized craft stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:10 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Here are a number of classes I suggest:

Shaman- Like a druid in the fact they have awesome access to druid magic, but maybe they can permacharm a mobile and have it as a pet. And give them special abilities like "Claws of a Bear" "Stamina of the Wolf" "Eagle eye" "Screech of the bat" And maybe make them able to walk in the spirit realm and have visions. (maybe like have a vision of a mobile, as a heightened consider- like a mating between peek and deem)

Also- Assassin, Ninja, Mercenary, Necromancer, Slayer.

Assassin: They'd get enhanced damage and special abilities like "crippling wound, "maiming wound", "permanent wound" etc. And also "lethal blow" where anything that cons as an easy kill would get instantly slain.

Ninja: Stealth, Heightened thief abilities, fleeing without loss of exp, ranged w/ new weapons.

Mercenary: Maybe they could gain a higher % in gold for their mob kills, like they automatically get a %15 gold find

Necromancer: They can summon skeletons, breathe life into golems and construct golems. Sort of like a Druid, but cooler.

Slayer: Would gain a bonus against a particular kind of monster? Almost like a sworn enemy, or maybe they are just really good at killing and get a +5 dam roll per level or something but also only have half mana and -20% complexities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:57 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Shaman- Like a druid in the fact they have awesome access to druid magic, but maybe they can permacharm a mobile and have it as a pet. And give them special abilities like "Claws of a Bear" "Stamina of the Wolf" "Eagle eye" "Screech of the bat" And maybe make them able to walk in the spirit realm and have visions. (maybe like have a vision of a mobile, as a heightened consider- like a mating between peek and deem)
------------------------
Problem: People would just permacharm mobs with slay programs :P
------------------------
Assassin: They'd get enhanced damage and special abilities like "crippling wound, "maiming wound", "permanent wound" etc. And also "lethal blow" where anything that cons as an easy kill would get instantly slain.
------------------------
Problem: crippling wound maiming wound and stuff like that is kinda like severs :P... lethal blow would be kinda useless because you wouldnt be able to use it on anything that you couldnt kill with 1 jab :P
------------------------
Ninja: Stealth, Heightened thief abilities, fleeing without loss of exp, ranged w/ new weapons.
------------------------
Problem: Last i checked... ninjas werent thieves... and why would they flee without loss of exp?
------------------------
Mercenary: Maybe they could gain a higher % in gold for their mob kills, like they automatically get a %15 gold find
------------------------
Can't see anything wrong with this
------------------------
Necromancer: They can summon skeletons, breathe life into golems and construct golems. Sort of like a Druid, but cooler.
------------------------
Problem: Constructs would be wayyyy to powerful Especially when you get the people with a zillion surps just filling up spells like that and making an invincible mob :P
------------------------
Slayer: Would gain a bonus against a particular kind of monster? Almost like a sworn enemy, or maybe they are just really good at killing and get a +5 dam roll per level or something but also only have half mana and -20% complexities.
------------------------
Problem: There are too many kinds of monsters :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:24 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Shaman problem: Make it impossible to target mobs with an autoslay thingie.

Assassin Problem: Crippling / Maiming Wound would allow for an auto wound if hit, as you would agree that there is some uncertainty about that. But make it have only a 40% chance to hit.

Ninja Problem: Thief heightened abilities: Ninja's can pick locks, so can thieves, ninja's can detrap things, so can thieves, ninja's don't pick pockets, thieves do. I didn't say ninja's WERE thieves, i said give them thief like abilities. Also, they do use very exotic weapons.

And the Ninja's whole thing is about completeing a task and getting away uscathed, they very much lived by the "he who runs away lives to fight another day" rule. Hence those smoke grenade thingies.

Necromancer Problem: So what you're saying is that Necromancers would be about as ridiculous as pixies?

And you can make it so that there's a max construct strength or whatever, make them slow as heck. Specialized constructs, a berserk rune in construct would make a berserker construct with little hp, massive dmg, and low defense. And I didn't say make an army of constructs like druids and their elementals, but maybe only make it so the character can only control one construct and a handful of undead at a time.

I'm thinking they would be sort of the opposite of Paladins, or maybe sacrifice their construct thingie for the ability to not be affected by crits except by holy avenger thingie.

Slayer Problem: You misunderstand, a certain kind of monster: Humanoids = Hobgoblins, Orcs, trolls, humans, elves, lizardmen
Small Humanoids = Goblins, Gnomes, Dwarves
Beasts = Dog, Lion, Giraffe, Hamster
Insects = ants, praying mantis
Reptilian= Lizardmen, komodo dragons, snakes
Dragons = Wyverns, Dragons, Dragonettes, Drakes

And so on and so forth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:30 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

that Slayer reminds me of the classes on Baldur's Gate 2 like the paladins that could do extra damage to vampires and stuff like that........yeah just what came to mind :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:51 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I have more class suggestions!

Alchemist- someone who makes potions, potions of burning for attacks, potions of healing, potions of regeneration.

They would use staves, wands, maces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:44 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I dont think classes should affect crafts... I think Merchant should be changed :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:40 pm 

Perhaps we can have epic abilites for each unique epic class. For example maybe as a Royal Explorer at e1 you would get a 5% gold find increase. Then at e50 you get +5% more goldfind and +2 luck max. Then at e100 you get +5% more goldfind and more experience for exploring. These abilities would make epic classes a stronger, intstead of just having the abilities of the three classes you chose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:21 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

New Class:

Inventor (work on name):

Instead of using spells they use gadgets and as a "gadget" they could build an automaton as a sort of "elemental" and instead of spells they could have "blue prints" and special chemical combinations like some equivalent to napalm or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:02 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

So basically replacing magic with "inventions"? I like it, it's kind of like bards but with a different aspect :D...

But where would they get the chemicals? Perhaps they could forage bugs and flowers and stuff and use those to make it? *shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:15 am 

Runescape has a thing called Herblaw :P Perhaps that can be implemented into dark-legacy.

Post subject: Re: Classes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:48 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  ICQ  Profile

It's nice to see people interested in new classes, but seriously, how can you expect to have new classes if the old ones are so imbalanced in regards to both the class itself and race combinations?

Only when you can truly achieve balance in all aspects can you have new classes. The addition of new classes, even then, will throw off any balance that you set out to achieve before implementation.

Honestly, if you're going to implement a shaman class, shouldn't you make sure that druids are upgraded to compete in the aspect of nature magic? The same with assassins/ninjas: people see the problem with rogues is that they only have a few useful unique skills (these people are usually the ones who don't take the time to thoroughly check out all the skills).

You also have to keep some reality where classes are concerned. Alot of the class suggestions come from video games already out there (BG2, D2, etc), where true classes should come from a medieval frame of mind (like alchemists, merchants, etc).

Possibly start another thread with each class, list all of the "uber skills" (meaning the skills that are most useful) and where each class compares to that class. For example, list a rogue with its most useful skill and then put it in comparison to a warrior, or a mage, or a paladin.

I just think we need to look at balancing the old classes before implementing new ones. I hate to piss on your parade, but I'm pretty sure it's something that alot of old players would like to see.

Post subject: New Class Idea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:28 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Deathknight.
The combination of a Necromancer and a Warrior. Or the opposite of a Paladin. But I was thinker something much cooler than that. With spells based on Death, Decay and Undeath! And at Epic level the Deathknight becomes Undead! Yeah....pipedreams for the Wicked.... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:17 pm 

Avestifal wrote:
Shaman problem: Make it impossible to target mobs with an autoslay thingie.

Typically, for a mob to instaslay anything, it has to have a mprog that uses it. When charmed, a mobile ignores all mprogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:46 pm 

Jorelani wrote:
Typically, for a mob to instaslay anything, it has to have a mprog that uses it. When charmed, a mobile ignores all mprogs.

Completely untrue. I remember awhile back either Quintos or Opus charmed Babylon (i think) and her slay progs still worked.

Jore... do you ever base your statements on any sort of fact?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:57 am 

Skill classes instead of classes. More classes just make for trouble.

Laurana:

Ok. Then it's called a bug. Shouldn't happen in the first place. Problems such as you described happen. While I may be wrong, I was thinking more along of the lines of logic when I said that.

There should be charmed NPC checks for every mprog check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:02 pm 

Laurana wrote:
Jorelani wrote:

Completely untrue. I remember awhile back either Quintos or Opus charmed Babylon (i think) and her slay progs still worked.

Jore... do you ever base your statements on any sort of fact?

He's talking about MUDs in general. Babylon is either a bug or a lack of foresight for whomever wrote the area.

those who overcome themselves are strong.
~Tao Te Ching

Post subject: new classes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:00 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

when are we going to get monks and merchants. i was wondering what going to be the speical ablility for both :roll: other then was mention 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:16 am 

i realize the post is fairly old, but there's already 2(or more?) alchemist classes in the game, who can make almost, if not, every spell into a potion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:34 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

the babylon thing occured when chloe transported her to me and made her mountable ^_^ And I mounted her...of course. And then opus hugged her and...well...died.

---Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:14 pm 
Lowbie

hmm well what about blackgaurds,necromancers and blade-dancers.
blackgaurds should be the anti paladin and does ann the things of a paladin oposite. necromancers create undead ofcourse, and blade-dancers just spin around with swords and other edged weapons in high speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:41 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Zeraphin wrote:
Monk and Merchant are two classes half-way completed. Monk was to specialize in new combat skills, while Merchant had some specialized craft stuff.
i cant wait to try merchants and make some better epic equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

spellcasters (i think all, at least cleric) get the skill "brew", you can BREW potions.... however, you need extra complexity for the thingermagigs... potions...