Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Review of Joint Operations (PC Game)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:59 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Originally posted this on my gaming community, gonna kick start this forum:

Ok. Wow. Where to begin...

This game is simply stunning. I mean, almost to the level as to make me forget HL2 for several months and buy it whenever I just happen to remember. Its developed by NovaLogic, a good solid company with a lot of great games behind them, though they tend to usually mess one detail up that keeps them from being super big. I've loved a lot of their games, but they always seem to screw up on replay value (Too short a single player game, or not enough paths/choices in stories) or multiplayer. Well. They've corrected both of these. #1) There is no single player. #2) OMG TEH MULTIPLAYER

This game is entirely multiplayer. The closest thing that comes to mind that people might be able to assocate: Take a BF:V style of gameplay, with fairly realistic vehicals and soldier classes in a Indonesian theathe of operation, increase the max players of a server to 150, optimize the code WONDERFULLY, and give it graphics on par with the screen shots I've seen of Farcry and HL2.

The attention to detail in this game is amazing. The game is nearly photo realistic in some aspects. Water is amazingly well done. The levels are huge.. Most maps your spawn point is a full kilometer from the map objective. The range of vehicals is smaller than a Battlefield game, but more emphasis is placed on the players not tanks. Helicopters are awesome. Boats are awesome. Everything is awesome.

The levels are 'infinite' .. If you go out to where the map technically ends, it loops the terrain. It really serves no purpose to go further out, but if you wanted to, you could. I drove a boat up a small stream that repeated.. I got 5KM away from the objective before I decided to drown myself and respawn.

Let me underscore something for you: The first 30 minutes of gameplay, I didn't kill a single person, even though I was on a full 80 player server. I was too busy just walking around looking at stuff and swimming around. This game is beautiful.

On top of that.. Although I recently replaced my motherboard, ram, and CPU, I didn't expect the level of performance I got in this game. The game analysizes your hardware on first-run, and will set you up with what it considers "Best Performance" and also save a profile for your "Best Quality" ... It gave my Athlon 2500 Barton (OC'c to 2300mhz), 1gig of PC-3500, and GF3 a "Best Performance" profile of all Normal detail levels and 1024x768. That's way higher than I can play any BF games at, or could under my old PC anyways. For quality settings, it gives me 1280x960 and all High detail levels. I left on performance. I did not have ANY graphical slow downs. Despite the huge size of the levels, I had better performance than I do in Counter-strike.

GO BUY THIS GAME. As soon as there is a dedicated server, I WILL be hosting this as part of GameHavoc. You can find it at Best Buy for $40, and I've seen less than that on amazon.

One last note: Realism of weapons. This game takes everything into consideration. Ranged scopes and stuff have elevation settings to adjust for bullet drop.. That's right, over a long distance, your bullets will drop lower due to gravity just like in real life. Detail detail detail. This game is awesome.

Post subject: sounds nice, but cant see it.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:32 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

screen shot please.

Age of Mythology is lovely!!!
go to ensemblestudios.com to check out details.

yes it's one of those games that you build up and then conquer.

Lingolas Escaflowne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:49 am 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

http://www.jointopsthegame.com/default.asp

Click Gallery to view some screen shots.

Post subject: PC and gifts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:53 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i was wonder what is a good game to buy for my daugther as a gift. She has PS2,computer games,and online game (not mudding)