Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The skill we call 'Spin'
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:07 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Spin is one of the most commonly used skills in epic. It is one of the most buggy skills in common use with players.

Untill recently, it was possible to fight an infinite ammount of mobs with the help of the skill 'Spin'. Recently it has been lowered to a max of eight attacks. However, as of my last testing it was still very buggy.

A monster that is not the primary combatant can be attacked from hundreds of feet away. Spin reaches that far for those secondary monsters. This can be abused easily like this:

(Monster you are fighting is 500 feet away and somehow hurting you)
Cast 'Summon Vermin'
range 1
Kill rat
face rat
spin
(repeat untill the ranged monster is dead)

Personally I don't like the way spin works. Not in the slightest. It far too powerful and too buggy a command. I propose its removal, and replacing it with a automatic skill simular to "Cleave" in Neverwinter Nights.

The skill cleave give a chance to strike another monster when you kill. If you kill a troll, you get a free (no lag) attack on a single secondary monster that you were fighting (given he is in melee range)

Another further on skill is Great Cleave. This one allows an unlimited number of secondary strikes upon the death of a monster. Basically you get your normal cleave, then a 1d10 decides if you get another hit. Each time you roll a 10 you get a chance for another.... So it is possible to have a huge number of free attacks. Is it likely? No its not.

Yes, I understand such skills don't mean as much in single combat as spin does. However, the purpose of a warrior is not single combat. A warrior is a someone that fights and survives a large melee battle with multiple combatants. Their strengths should be all about multiple enemies.

Could a rogue beat a warrior in single combat? Maybe. A rogue is a duelist that takes on single enemies. A warrior is more used to the chaos of battle, where things are less focus on the individual. His skills should show this, and yet not be "God-like" or easily abused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:26 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i agree its abuse :oops:
why cant rogue have this tactic :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:31 pm 
 YIM  Profile

you think its abused ? breath works same way and also you cant attack charmed creatures so kill rat dosnt work unless you cast earthquake and what makes spin any worse then breath breath still hits unlimited mobs and is 10 times worse then spin spin atleast took balance away but i as a vamp mage just cast breath about 20 times in 5 seconds killing 30 things at once

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:53 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Mellifluous wrote:
you think its abused ? breath works same way and also you cant attack charmed creatures so kill rat dosnt work unless you cast earthquake and what makes spin any worse then breath breath still hits unlimited mobs and is 10 times worse then spin spin atleast took balance away but i as a vamp mage just cast breath about 20 times in 5 seconds killing 30 things at once

Spin is at least equally deadly in the hands of any competant player. Breath may be easier to learn, but spin has more potential damage and other perks...like the fact that it's not effectively worthless once you get to a decent level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:29 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I dont think we can really compare skills to spells. Id like to see cleave replace spin. But id give it the properties of greater cleave since theres no cleave-> greater cleave theme going on with skills, just percentages. I could def. see it on par (as in balanced) on a relative scale, with the rogues specialty skill, multistrike. Warrior for multiple, rogue for singular. which brings me to something i just remembered about a game i played, but i forgot if it was NWN or KOTOR or something. I forgot what the skill was called but it basically gave the person a concentrated shot that left you vulnerable while in the attack but you had a huge increase to your crits or attack or something (someone will know right? :p ) and i thought this was quite appropriate for a paladin. Sort of divine guidance of the sword, for a single enemy of course. Ill c/p the end of this onto a new thread if you think its a problem Vogar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:23 pm 
Lowbie

that would be point-blank shot