Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Character planning help?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:50 am 
Hey!

I'm trying to make my first character, but I am pretty overwhelmed at the moment. I want to make a character that I can put a lot of time into and get a nice powerful character out of.

I've pretty much decided that I want to make a Spiritualist (warrior/cleric/psionicist). Is this a good choice? Any other better recommendations? I'd like a character that will eventually be pretty strong and capable of soloing in the later game.

I'm very overwhelmed with all the race/starsign/etc options you can pick from at birth. Again, anyone have any pointers?

I'd really appreciate any help. This is a bit confusing and there doesn't seem to be much info on what exactly the benefits are of the various races and classes etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:11 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I would say that the Spiritualist can be of long term use, its also one of the more popular choices.

For the race stats: http://www.geocities.com/andreasboon/racestat.html

That should help with an overview. My suggestion for picking a combination is to go through each section and pick a selection that agrees with the roleplay youve chosen or would like to try or even anything that looks interesting. Or if youre not roleplaying you can basically start with the 2nd step, which is to take a look at your classes and make a selection of each type that supports your strong points and/or covers your weak points. (If youve chosen from a roleplaying p.o.v. whittle down that selection) Youve got the strongest melee class, the cleric class with haste, healing and defensive spells, and psionicist which is basically a support class that adds a speed spell, stat spells, other various handy spells and can cast offensively as well (but less than a mage). So you can look at whether or not you want things like balance, speed, better melee and/or magic damage, extra magic complexity, better resists etc.

If you have trouble picking something or want to check your selection, just post the combo here and I will respond, as will other people most likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:21 pm 
I guess my biggest question right now is: what exactly are complexities, and how important are they?

I was thinking I would be either a Half-Orc (seems like a nice meleeing race?) Moon-Elf or Pixie. Bad ideas?

For a starsign, I was looking at "The Pentagram" since people seem to really push the importance of complexities. Bad idea?

I'm kinda stumped on the Ancestry part. Mindflayer gives a pretty big boost to Psionicist and overall magic complexities. On the other hand the Lich looks pretty cool too. Then there is Thrall and the various Dragons. Ahhhh, I'm so overwhelmed here.

Overall I want to make a character that I can put a lot of time into and get the best results out. I don't want to end up putting 500 hours into a character and then find out that if I picked a different race or starsign I could have been better. I mean, a lot of the races etc look good on paper, but since I have no experience with the game they could end up being horrible in practice.

I'd even be willing to change my class plans to something else if Spiritualist isn't a great choice.

Any help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:39 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

im a big fan of arcane templar (mage/cle/war) ^_^,

Quote:

Each prism belongs to a specific spell school. Depending on your
class, level and intelligence, you will have a certain skill in each
of the schools. This is called Max Spell Complexity.

If a prism of a certain school is more complex than your Max Spell
Complexity of that school, You are unable to cast the spell.

The chance that spells fizzle is greater the closer its complexity
is with your max complexity.

Adding runes to a prism makes a spell more complex, but also more
powerful.

You can learn the skill 'Spell Mastery' to increase your maximum
complexity slightly.

Every 30 epic levels your complexities raise a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:01 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Depending on what you want that can help you in epicing or just a hardcore character that can tackle anything as soon as possible with alot of leveling. personally i would pick mage/rogue/cleric. this is a good combo to start with. you should have more problem with the classes because mage just need about 5 fecs to level to 50 and some more common runes. the second class is cool too. Rogue have detrap and other skill you might need in epic. and cleric one of the must have class. not only for healing but when you learn a couple of tricks you be fine. there are more combos you can do for second and third chacrters. if you need more help and understanding. log on and ask for help once in awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Mages are cool for levelling and all, but, really, they're rather useless for epics. when you hit epic, mobs' magic resistance is way too high to do anything effective...

also, i'm rather sure whoever needed the help, here, has already got a character made.

bye, gotta walk the puppies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Chilliwack wrote:
Mages are cool for levelling and all, but, really, they're rather useless for epics. when you hit epic, mobs' magic resistance is way too high to do anything effective...

also, i'm rather sure whoever needed the help, here, has already got a character made.

bye, gotta walk the puppies.
what kind of puppies??