Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stat Choosing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:47 pm 
Dual-Avatar

While it may be obvious to many that you want to start with as many statpoints as possible, it is not initially obvious just how to figure out what the best they can have is. Through extensive testing, I, and most likely others, have learned how to get the best stats that they can get.

1. Strength - it's the easiest stat to get as it's the most common on mob equipment and we have sigils that give about 30 strength. There are two ways to look at this. You either want to start it as low as possible so that you can just put a few statpoints on equipment to max it out or you can get it as high as possible, get a good sigil at a high level, and not waste any enchant space on it. I would advocate the latter because the lower your stats are, the cheaper it is to raise them with epic points. While this means that strength will be more costly to raise, it means that you will be able to raise all your other stats more cheaply, thus raising them all decently before e100. It does not initially make sense that you want the other stats to be as low as possible, keep in mind that there is a cap on how many stat points you can recieve. It is impossible to get the maximum base stats. Using epic points to get new stats is a great buy until all your stats are decently high (except that DR may dwarf it when the combat patch comes around). Raising 2 stats from 8 to 9 costs the same as raising 1 stat from 16 to 17. This means that if you have all your stats but strength at 8 (it won't actually be this low), you will have a higher sum of base stats after some epiccing than someone who starts with all of them the same.

2. Charisma - Worthless stat. I am going to show you which races get the best stats, ignoring charisma. There are only two things that charisma is good for. Turning (although I'm not even sure if it actually has much affect on this) and buying from shops. You can easily keep a spare cuirass around for when you want to buy from shops, and the bonus on turning really isn't even worth it.

3. Other stats - You want to get these as low as possible while keeping strength at its maximum and while hitting your stat cap. You also want charisma at it's minimum.

In order to figure out your stat cap, you add the sum of the racial bonuses to 105, I will refer to this C, for 'cap.' The formula for figuring out the stat cap, ignoring charisma is f(CHA BONUS) = C - (8 + CHA BONUS) or f(CHA BONUS) = C - 8 - CHA BONUS. This could also be found by the formula: f(CHA BONUS) = 97 + sum(All Bonuses except CHA BONUS).

The model for the following is:
Race
Bonuses
Sum of Bonuses (C - f(CHA BONUS) = C - ( 8 + CHA BONUS))

Human
STR +0 DEX +0 CON +0 INT +0 WIS +0 CHA +0 LCK +0
0 (105 - 97)

Elf
STR +0 DEX +1 CON -2 INT +2 WIS +0 CHA +1 LCK +0
2 (107 - 98)

Dwarf
STR +2 DEX +0 CON +2 INT +0 WIS +0 CHA -2 LCK +0
2 (107 - 101)

Halfling
STR -2 DEX +3 CON +0 INT +0 WIS +0 CHA +0 LCK +2
3 (108 - 100)

Pixie
STR -4 DEX +4 CON -2 INT +0 WIS -2 CHA +3 LCK +0
-1 (104 - 93)

Ogre
STR +2 DEX -3 CON +3 INT +2 WIS -1 CHA -3 LCK +0
0 (105 - 100)

Orc
STR +3 DEX +0 CON +0 INT +0 WIS +0 CHA -3 LCK +0
0 (105 - 100)

Troll
STR +4 DEX -2 CON +2 INT -2 WIS +0 CHA -3 LCK +0
-1 (104 - 99)

Lizardman
STR +3 DEX +0 CON +2 INT -4 WIS +0 CHA +0 LCK +0
1 (106 - 98)

Gnome
STR -2 DEX +0 CON +1 INT +0 WIS +2 CHA +0 LCK +0
1 (106 - 98)

Phasian
STR +0 DEX +0 CON +0 INT +0 WIS +0 CHA +0 LCK +0
0 (105 - 97)

Gerp
STR +1 DEX +0 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +0 CHA -2 LCK +0
2 (107 - 101)

As this shows, dwarves and gerps are able to get the highest possible stat cap, disregarding CHA, halflings if you do not disregard it.

Stats range from 8 + BONUS to 18 + BONUS. This means that with a -3 bonus, it ranges from 5 to 15 and with a +3 bonus, it ranges from 11 to 21.

For the following example, I will use Gerps.

The range of a gerp's STR is 9 to 19 and the range of a gerp's CHA is 6 to 16. This means that you aim for 19 str and 6 cha. If you substract 19 and 6 from their stat cap of 107, you are left with 82 for the remaining 5 stats. By dividing 82 by 5, we see that we want to aim for 16 in 2 of these 5 and 17 in 3 of them in order for balanced stats. The other option is to try to hit their caps in some and get others as low as possible. For a gerp, the stats I would aim for are 19 STR, 17 DEX, 16 CON, 17 INT, 17 WIS, 6 CHA, 16 LCK, all of which are within their appropriate ranges.

The figures here will obviously change with the coming of the race patch, and depending on your race/starsign combination, this may or may not be the best time for you to create your character. If you look at your planned race and starsign, do the calculations, and find out that your character will not have better stats than a gerp or dwarf, it is probably in your favor to create the character now so that you will get the best possible stats. You can also easily tri-av before it comes in, so you will immediately be at your full potential (well...pre-epic potential). You may also decide that you wish to tri-av now if you feel that the headstart outweighs the small loss in stats, which can be balanced out within a few epic levels. The main thing to keep in mind is that you should not choose a race with less than 99 or 100 cap, disregarding CHA, if you are just making a character for use in the new patch.

This is by no means telling you not to choose whichever race you want for your character, but giving you more freedom in choosing your race because you will not have to worry (as much) about attributes.

EDIT: Disabled smilies... damn them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:31 pm 
Dual-Avatar

It appears that either: a.) it may be possible to go below the usual minimum, b.) certain stats have lower minimums than others (although maximums appear the same), or c.) some races have hidden "soft" bonuses that only affect the possible stats and not the caps.

While rolling a dwarf I recieved the following:
Dexterity: 7 of 7 to 18 (Slightly stiff)

Dwarves recieve no bonus to to dexterity, so it should raise from 8 to 18. The other oddity is that his charisma ended up as a 4. This seems a bit too low considering dwarves only have -2. I will have to study CHA a bit more instead of disregarding it. It appears that, depending on what your stats roll, it is possible to go under the minimum, but is rather rare if your stats have no bonuses. In 582 attempts, I rolled under the minimum of a stat only once. I will have to test this later with a larger sample size.

Strength: 20 of 10 to 20 (Very strong)
Dexterity: 18 of 7 to 18 (Very nimble)
Constitution: 20 of 10 to 20 (incredibly fit)
Intelligence: 17 of 8 to 18 (Very smart)
Wisdom: 15 of 8 to 18 (Thoughtful)
Charisma: 4 (Repulsive)
Luck: 13 of 8 to 18 (Lucky)

Keep? (Y/N)
103 / 103 (14 unique sums in 582 attempts)

(The added things are my own triggers modifying the output)

I also notice that my max surpasses my calculations. I will have to go back to this later. It seems that I have different maxes marked down for races disregarding charisma from attempts years ago, so it may be that charisma has a slightly lower range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:35 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

quintos, are you doing this with the current races, or testing this on the codeport?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:40 pm 
Dual-Avatar

As these are all the current races, I'd say I'm testing with the current races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:53 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

hmm, good point