Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ideas on new RP type stuff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:08 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

just thinking about how little everyone RP's in a game such as this is kinda funny, i belive that where should be more roleplaying in the game.
i understand that the caretakers dont want to force people to RP, and i think that is fine, alot of people dont like to RP, in which case i find myself asking, if you dont wana RP why play a game that should have lots of RP in it? but its not my place to question others about such subjects, and to each their own. But i would like to get a little more into Roleplaying, and i have thought on it a little and there just isnt enough people on the are willing to RP to really get going with it. I know some of the stuff i am going to suggest will be a little too much, but im just trying to get other people thinking about how to make the RP part of the game more enjoyable. so without much more talk about why i am suggesting this, i will get to the point.
My suggestions:
1. Add another form of whois, one that a player can set that would be kinda like a Bio but seprate, everything on it would be about RP. That player could set it up with a little ease, creating a Bio isnt all that hard but for some players it too much work to type everything out and then find out that there was a typo or somthing and have to figure out how to correct it without deleting everything and starting again.

2. name the area's in alora, such as countrys, and land masses insted of everything just being Alora

3. More trait choices (ill try to come up with stuff for this part and post it at a later time)

These are just a few ideas if anyone else has any, please post them here, but remember were not trying to affect gameplay in any way, just the quality of RP. also please post any questions about my ideas that you may have, and i will attempt to explain in any way i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:51 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

1. The effort of making a bio is rather minimal imo, and most of the writing systems (ie. noteboards, books) work the exact same way. I keep all my work in a Word file, so i just c/p it into my bio...which makes it slightly easier.

2. I agree with the need for a team of builders/or just Celeborn to decide on continents etc, not just for RP's sake..

3. there are plenty of trait choices..more than plenty imo, this has no negative effects on RP here

Imo, about 90% of the burden of RP lies with the players...i myself only RP with other ppl in response or in writing, otherwise i only create an RP character through the available means (ie. bio and all that) because i enjoy writing. My suggestion is that if you enjoy RP then just stay in character when talking to ppl (not on ooc channels) and see what sort of response you get. Also Nikkosh created a system a long time ago to show which people were involved in RP. (For their titles)
It went:
RP-R (Responsive, meaning if you see RP you'll join in, but are not active)
RP-A (Active, is in RP mode most of the time and will remain in character)
RP-E (Extreme, ppl who never leave RP mode)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:58 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

cool, but i wasnt saying take the bio out, just like.. another whois type of comand with info the player could set that wouldnt really fall into the bio, like a little quick info sheet. with diffrent fields in it so that you could set one, then come back later and set another or change one of them without having to delete the others, i know a few of us that play at the library alot, i am one of them. but either way this was mostly just to get other peoples ideas and see if i could get others involved in helping shape the RP into somthing that more than just 3 or 4 people ever do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:16 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

what information are you wanting on this separate whois?

parents? children?

religion is there already, as is race, class, personal history story, level, exploration, deity respect level (plane of existance),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:07 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

yes parents, children, brothers, and sisters could put put there, as could such things as where ther char came from if you were to ever name the areas, where they currently live, and a place to list what jobs they do aka crafts and whatnot just a little info sheet the player could fill out themselves outside of how they got from where they were to where they are now. im not 100% on what all could be added to it, it was just an idea. maby some other people have idea's on what else could be put on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:12 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sounds like a biography...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:16 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

kinda, but its would be a little easyer to set the stuff individualy. i would be able to try something such as rpwho from (place name of area here) and in the new whois it would say: Nimisis is from (place name of area here) that way it would be a little easyer to change one thing without having to retype everything, but then leave in the normal Bio for the life story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:35 pm 

Excellent ideas, Shana Arkai.
There should be more RP. and I think you fully have the right to question what people are doing on a mud, if they dont want to role play. I see loads of accuses, and I get even disliked for Role Playing, IC and OOC and thats another annoying thing. And your idea is good, but I think not needed. I should be stimulated more thats all it. and if you don't like RP, what are you doing here? because a mud is DnD based, and DnD is the inventor of RP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:25 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

Roleplaying wasnt invented by DnD, but actually was invented by a psychiatrist. then was later developed by Gary Gygax into what we now know as DnD. and its a common mistake to say DnD is the first because it was the first official "Role-playing game".

not trying to flame, just inform

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:39 pm 

Thanks for the info :)
But that doesn't change the fact about Role Play at this mud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:52 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

i know :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:08 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

it makes me, however, wanna start up a game with my shrink.

i'll be DMing, naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

lol

Post subject: Re: ideas on new RP type stuff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:01 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Ill be honest and say no. Im one of the few people that enjoys RP and even then not always intensively, and that is a rarity on DL. I can probably name max 5 people who care about it. Having said that I think a little promotion and education on the part of the Immortals would be quick to improve the situation. *cough at Imms*

Post subject: Re: ideas on new RP type stuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

rp sucks