Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:55 am 
Tri-Avatar

phalanxyrian wrote:
well weems ppl already have big weapns but all ranged weapons are FAR weaker then the most mellee weapons.. by making it able 2 have a 1 handed crossbow you can shoot and weakien your enemy first then use your "big freaking weapon" to kill the enemy..

to: ShanaArkai : you even dont need magic, in the toppic ppl already spoke about the reloader mechanism :D

Ranged weapons are not weak compared to melee weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:11 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

so, what would be the point of using this form of a crossbow again?

this sounds identical to the arrow spell

if you're going to have an "infinite ammunition, self reloading crossbow" then you might as well have nuclear missiles, and phaser guns.

To address weems, it has little to do with realism, and more to do with drawing a line. (somewhere)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:15 pm 
Dual-Avatar

the arrow spell can take more mana than just paying for a reload of a regular crossbow bolt.

but i agree with issy, its time to draw the line, any way you slice the issue it all comes down to the fact that it probably wont be done anyways.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:53 am 
Tri-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
so, what would be the point of using this form of a crossbow again?

this sounds identical to the arrow spell

if you're going to have an "infinite ammunition, self reloading crossbow" then you might as well have nuclear missiles, and phaser guns.

To address weems, it has little to do with realism, and more to do with drawing a line. (somewhere)

Thats a much better reason to draw the line! But judging from your last post, it had a LOT to do with realism...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:50 am 
Lowbie

well if you are a non magic user a crossbow is a lot better, besides with a crossbow you can poison the bolt charge to your weakened foe an slay him...try that with your arrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:10 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

phalanxyrian wrote:
well if you are a non magic user a crossbow is a lot better, besides with a crossbow you can poison the bolt charge to your weakened foe an slay him...try that with your arrow.

*lights his arrow on fire*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:29 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

how about this weems, this is more inline with what i meant

instead of using the word realism, we do this:

"It has alot to do with not putting in such absolutely fantastical ideas which totally contradict any notion of real world medieval based mechanics,(on the furthest end of the spectrum) AND, alot to do with drawing a line at not wanting to see the game spiral down into the pit of insanity.

(the line, incidentally, is drawn about 1 foot from a cliff edge, if it's crossed, there may be no hope)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:34 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
how about this weems, this is more inline with what i meant

instead of using the word realism, we do this:

"It has alot to do with not putting in such absolutely fantastical ideas which totally contradict any notion of real world medieval based mechanics,(on the furthest end of the spectrum) AND, alot to do with drawing a line at not wanting to see the game spiral down into the pit of insanity.

(the line, incidentally, is drawn about 1 foot from a cliff edge, if it's crossed, there may be no hope)

Fantastical? Wow, thats interesting, it has the same prefix as the word FANTASY! Perhaps they are related...

By the way, if you want to see something absolutely fantastical that totally contracts any notion of real world medieval based mechanics...Check out our inherent magical abilities.

*casts some spells*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:37 pm 
Dual-Avatar

i think i speak for issy when i say you missed the point

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:54 am 
Lowbie

Well one handed crosbows did already exist in the old times... so no fantasy or insantiy (or what ever u want to call it). And a gain i say it it makes combat more stategic (poison someone with a bolt then hit the hell outte your ennemy with your sword or so).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:13 am 

hey, here is something... wouldent it be harder to defend yourself with a ranged weapon? and even harder with two? I think if you do try and use two crossbows, you are gonna suffer some mobility penalties. oh, btw... dual wielding two self-reloading crossbows... christ, just have celeborn code in some uzis for you. -.- we could just go back to the days of no range weapons, I say yall should be happy with whatcha got, and stop trying to convince immortals to give you ways to break the system. the point isnt that it is possible irl, it is what affects game balance, and as Issy said, this idea would unbalance the game severely.

~Bruteus Lonewolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:14 am 
Dual-Avatar

He speaketh wisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:30 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Bruteus wrote:
hey, here is something... wouldent it be harder to defend yourself with a ranged weapon? and even harder with two? I think if you do try and use two crossbows, you are gonna suffer some mobility penalties. oh, btw... dual wielding two self-reloading crossbows... christ, just have celeborn code in some uzis for you. -.- we could just go back to the days of no range weapons, I say yall should be happy with whatcha got, and stop trying to convince immortals to give you ways to break the system. the point isnt that it is possible irl, it is what affects game balance, and as Issy said, this idea would unbalance the game severely.

~Bruteus Lonewolf

Exactly my point. It has to do with balance, not realism. Realism is just an excuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:36 pm 
Lowbie

one last edit: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cw_ag/75476.jpg :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:01 pm 

The idea should be posible: U can be able to dual wield em if ur big enough, just like weapons, only the reloading, should be extremely slow, that would make it fair to the other weapons.
So i vote yes to the idea, but with a slow reload because when you go shopping, you have your hands filled but are mostly still able to unlock your door, only it goes unhandy and slow =).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:29 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

phalanxyrian wrote:
well that i a nice crossbow but maybe the crossbow in the game maybe has something to do with runewords or how many sockets can a crossbow have? does it have more or less socket then bows? if so why? :?: