Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starting the mud over, a better way
lets fix the mud, and start over using the minor reimbursement method 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
i am interested in starting over, but need to know more about the reimbursement process 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
i am not interested in starting over, let celeborn make his new mud 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
i am interested in starting over, with no reimbursement method, putting everyone on equal footing. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: updated voting, to see where everyone stands now
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:16 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

as per weems suggestion, old topic is locked, new vote being put forth.

see http://forums.dark-legacy.com/viewtopic.php?t=864 and pay particular attention to Celeborns views before you vote.

please note that there would be some form of reimbursement in place, but you are NOT going to be left with everything you have now.

things you would most likely be left with would be character names, empty structures, guilds

So your identity would stay, but the game as a whole would begin anew.

---snip--- Ideas on reimbursement from Celeborn
- The ability to boost your characters and pets back to an approximation of its former glory as far as your credit and the new system allows.
- An x number of wishes/credits, comparable to your former wealth, which allow you to re-wish items, resources, pet eggs, whatever.
- A reservation to names you've used before. (character names, pet names, guild names).
- Deeds to replace guilds, citadels, shops, etc.
---snip---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:28 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm curious but would this reimbursement system be able to make poitns out of say... bronze mining which can be spent on anything?

Like if you got 5 points for bronze mining and you decided to spend it in levels or something...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar

I don't think the people who voted 'let celeborn make his new mud' realize that all work on DL will stop if this happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar

kiasyn wrote:
I'm curious but would this reimbursement system be able to make poitns out of say... bronze mining which can be spent on anything?

Like if you got 5 points for bronze mining and you decided to spend it in levels or something...?

I hope not. Thats a terrible idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:43 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

weems wrote:
kiasyn wrote:

I hope not. Thats a terrible idea.

exactly why i asked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:44 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

weems wrote:
I don't think the people who voted 'let celeborn make his new mud' realize that all work on DL will stop if this happens.

Theres no other 'don't start over' option!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:48 pm 
Tri-Avatar

kiasyn wrote:
weems wrote:

Theres no other 'don't start over' option!

Good point. ISABELLE, you messed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:56 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yes there is
"i am not interested in starting over, let celeborn make his new mud"

there is no option for "celeborn you are not allowed to fix this mud, and you are not allowed to work on a mud thats actually fair, and makes you happy, but you are required to stay here, and continue patching it together with bits of glue and band-aids, and we will continue to complain about it not being fair"

its not currently an option, besides, i'm sure there will be the occassional update on DL even after his new mud comes in, it will just have to sit second fiddle next to his main one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:05 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

ahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:09 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Celeborn... if the problem is ? upgrading pfiles to a new format or whatever... why dont you code a function or something that loadsup the entire pbase (i assume they're upgraded when they login) one by one gets their pfile upgraded then saves it as the new format... sure this would be lag the mud up for a bit but then you can remove the upgrade code... right?

EDIT: Hell.. i'm going to do this on my mud :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Celeborn wrote:
Or do a mud split and start Petal vs Blade on cleaned up DL code (which would mean hardly any time for old-dl, not something i prefer at this time).

Sounds like he'd prefer not to start a new mud.

Celeborn wrote:
First off I lothe pwipes due to the negative impact it has on the unwilling so support would have to be very big.

Celeborn wrote:
But anyhow, a pwipe is not happening without cooperation of most of the pbase, so you're probably safe.

Celeborn wrote:
I've strived against pwipes since the beginning of DL.

sounds like he doesn't want a pwipe either.. wheres the middle ground.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:46 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Well, i'm going to help him with Petal vs Blade, which he is working on, i just posted those notes to see who was interested in making things easy for him.

No big deal, he'll just run both for now, although this way, he will end up splitting his time between projects, rather than focussing on one.

regarding your previous note, Celeborn isnt concerned about 'upgrading pfiles' he's upgraded pfiles in the past. He's talking about a 'different system' and i just wanted to see if players were interested in such a system, the only thing is... they would lose 'who they are presently'

Players already said they do not want to lose what they have, so the discussion is pretty much done now, we'll just work on 'P vs B' and see how it turns out :)

If players migrate to the new mud once it's opened, so be it :)

(Disclaimer: these are all my views, not Celeborns)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:51 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Isabelle wrote:
regarding your previous note, Celeborn isnt concerned about 'upgrading pfiles' he's upgraded pfiles in the past. He's talking about a 'different system' and i just wanted to see if players were interested in such a system, the only thing is... they would lose 'who they are presently'

I was talking about the memory usage not the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:56 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I believe the memory usage has more to do with areas and coding.
Although i'm sure pfiles are pretty large as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:08 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

you don't understand me.. never mind ill talk to cele on msn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:49 am 
Arch-Caretaker

kiasyn wrote:

It should be obvious that the reimbursement would be designed with a players best interest in mind, so any concerns like this would be adressed. True design of a reimbursement system has simply not been done. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Isabelle wrote:
yes there is
"i am not interested in starting over, let celeborn make his new mud"

there is no option for "celeborn you are not allowed to fix this mud, and you are not allowed to work on a mud thats actually fair, and makes you happy, but you are required to stay here, and continue patching it together with bits of glue and band-aids, and we will continue to complain about it not being fair"

its not currently an option, besides, i'm sure there will be the occassional update on DL even after his new mud comes in, it will just have to sit second fiddle next to his main one.

Isa's statement is true. To be honest, a split is looking the best option at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:58 am 
Arch-Caretaker

kiasyn wrote:
Celeborn... if the problem is ? upgrading pfiles to a new format or whatever... why dont you code a function or something that loadsup the entire pbase (i assume they're upgraded when they login) one by one gets their pfile upgraded then saves it as the new format... sure this would be lag the mud up for a bit but then you can remove the upgrade code... right?

EDIT: Hell.. i'm going to do this on my mud :P

I can simply convert players from multiclassed-50-levels-plus-unlimited-epic-levels-with-weird-formulaes and everything else I want to alter to a different system, replace the way how every single item functions, etc. But in effect players will get screwed up characters, with half functioning and useless items, that they crafted and optimized for a different system. (Sort of like a pwipe that cripples you as a bonus, instead of a pwipe with reimbursement).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:02 am 
Arch-Caretaker

kiasyn wrote:
Isabelle wrote:

I was talking about the memory usage not the system.

Think of it like this: all the players have objects from every single area on the mud, and code depends on certain mobiles and rooms being there. This blocks our means of just removing all areas and replacing them with our own (would be like a pwipe).. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:11 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

i think cele should just do the pwipe and fix it, if that is what he would like to do, im sure most of the pbase would be pissed for a while but then they would see that the new system works better, im sure anyone that has stuck around this long and through all the other patches would still stick around atleast long enought to try the new system and see if they like it, ive put a lot of time into crafting and what not my self, and i did it all by typing every last bit out unlike most who just sets a trigger and leaves or sets a trigger and chats for hours. if there were reimburstments i dont realy think it would be so bad. most people delete their old chars and start new ones after every patch anyways (any that changes the classes/races/fighting system). i know i for one will still play as long as DL has a mini map much like it does right now. the mini map is the only thing that got me hooked in the first place. i guess ill stop talking now, but i vote yes on the pwipe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:59 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I'm gonna go with isabelle on this topic

It seems that not very many (not even 90%) of the mud wants a pwipe so let cele make his new mud and update us every so often

Nothing TOOO wrong with the way it runs now...I see hardly any crashes besides the citadel crash thing and the game runs perfectly fine for me...Oh btw some people might not run as smoothly due to their clients (and i have tested many clients and had problems with a few)

So it seems that to me a pwipe wouldn't really do anything besides make everybody pissed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:54 am 
Well Cele, whatever you feel is best for DL I'll back you up 100% :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:02 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

same here, what ever is best for cele/easyest for cele (i mean, je is the only reason we play)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:27 pm 
Well, I haven't been playing DL for very long...But I have been mudding for quite some time..And so far, DL is the best, in my opinion. Its easy to understand..not hard on newbs like myself, and you get cool rewards for getting to high levels. A full player wipe wouldn't benefit the mud..It needs players, and a pwipe would most likely chase alot of people off. But we do need the mud to be fixed..There are a few glitches I've noticed. However, I am quite curious about this "new mud" of Celeborns..Is it going to be based off of DL code wise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:48 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

forgive my newbish ignorance... but is this thread basically saying that dark-legacy might die?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next