Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spell Range Rune
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:16 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I was thinking...We have WORLD range runes but when you try to cast certain spells such as breath it is almost impossible to hit because of SUCH low range

We outta have a rune like a "ran" rune that increases the range for that spell by like 5-15 feet so the spell is worth getting...Because i've seen some epic mobs that retreat so quickly that it is nearly imposible to use breath on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:19 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Okay...now this may sound good for a second, but come on...do you really want to see me have a 0 mana, instantaneous, 360 range breath spell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:53 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Well maybe make it where only one of those runes can be added (like omb,lei,aya,etc)

But it would add maybe...erm...like 40 feet (a range rune Nge (+7c +30m) (or 40 50 mana whatever)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:04 am 
Tri-Avatar

Kamiru wrote:
Well maybe make it where only one of those runes can be added (like omb,lei,aya,etc)

But it would add maybe...erm...like 40 feet (a range rune Nge (+7c +30m) (or 40 50 mana whatever)

I would only agree to this if all spells with a range had their base ranged reudced by 40 feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:28 pm 
Dual-Avatar

That wouldn't be so bad...it'd make it only effective on ultra close range spells such as breath...but meh...we really don't need range runes...breath is powerful enough already...although, reducing the range of all spells doesn't seem like a bad idea still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:50 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  Profile

breath (and to a lesser extent, distort, and i'm sure there are some others) is a very strong spell, i think part of the reason it is kept at 10 feet is /because/ it is such a powerful spell. To add a range rune to it would just make it even more overpowered than it already is, vamp oracles would become more powerful vs super mobs (and probably players too) than they already are.....

imagine how easy life would be with a range 150 breath or something.. >:D

Also, some ppl would see it like this: if you're far away from the mob, your spells shouldn't be as effective. Like, if you're retreating from a mob (or letting a pet/ele do the fighting), you shouldn't deserve to have a really strong spell to hit the mob with while you're at range 150. granted, it's slightly different if it's the mob that's retreating from you not the other way round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:29 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Malkier, you do realize there are other spells equally as deadly, if not more, as breath and distort, right? They have an advantage too, they're not close range.

Oh yeah, and just to throw in some arithmetic: oracle = weak uber caster wannabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 am 
Lowbie

It looks like a neat idea.. although I would change it to 15 complexity for +20 range, +40mana.

About the oracles sucking... you're a conjurer... so it's cleric vs pally... body and defense complexity vs dual wield, 80% weapon, divine. Care to elaborate and compare both class why pal is the uber universal known better SPELL caster in combo with psionic/mage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:05 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Dual wield, divine complexity...'nuff said.