Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:52 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I like this idea

It would be nice if you could lvl both pets instead of one person's pet lvling while the other remains the way it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:39 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i don't think pets should be allowed in groups period.

and that they should only gain xp based on the damage they do during a fight, kinda like oldschool experience/combat mixed with current combat.

so if you would normally gain 75 xp in a fight, but this time you had your puppy Dino with you, and it did 25% of the total damage inflicted on the opponent, then it would get 25% of the experience you receive.
(to a maximum of 50%)

No groups with pet tanks, while the players sit back at 150 feet, and chat amongst themselves about their hair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:20 pm 
Lowbie

How is your pet suppose to keep up with your level if it only gains "up to 50% exp". How are you suppose to start off growing pets since they can't deal damage? You mean to get tri av then and only then you can only use ups to boost your pet from level 1? Next to that, pets are more of an extra-fun add on that can't go beyond level 50 and is already very much ignored by most people(usefulness wise). I haven't seen many players at all that actually uses pet because of this... pets are just a thought "I have a dragon for a pet" or say.. "I have a unicorn and you don't".

Anyway, good idea, could actually use something to encourage 'multiplayer' grouping as game was meant to be.

About pets tanking, anyone actually use a level 50 pet as your level 20 char's tank 'recently' and game gained mass exp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:40 am 
Dual-Avatar

Jerardo wrote:
About pets tanking, anyone actually use a level 50 pet as your level 20 char's tank 'recently' and game gained mass exp?

Level 50 dragon = fun...I know a few people who do it, although I believe one of them uses a gryphon *shudder*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:44 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yes jerarden, weak players using more powerful pets happens alot, and the players spend 90 percent of the battle retreated to like 150 feet.

it's cheap

granted, if they spent time they could get stronger, but i'm talking here of players who don't want/care to spend any time with equipment, or fighting, they use other people or pets to do the fighting for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:24 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Oh, Isabelle, it's not the fact that most of the people can't get the eq in 5 seconds, or in some cases are already wearing it, they just like to use all their perks that they have earned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:01 am 
Lowbie

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one... but when high pet kills for a weaker player (decent gap in levels), the player receives 0 exp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:46 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i'm not necessarily speaking about high level pets, as i am about very strong pets.

and i am all for players using everything at their disposal, it's what i strive for. However, i am also aware of 'loopholes' within the game which have the unintended effect of giving some players a 'free ride'

My goals have and always will remain the same; to have:
A system which encourages [all] players to discover their full potential within the game via knowledge about combat, travel, exploration, etc.
A system where players can be self supported with minimal caretaker intervention.
A system where players will always require a challenge to gain experience, and evolve. In this system, every fight would require at least a minimal amount of thought, requiring the use of at least one advanced combat tactic - such as aiming for a limb, charging into combat, or anything aside from the normal spin/jab/thrust/lunge.

This system would also present a possible risk to the player "everytime", there would be no immunity when fighting a mob or player of any level.
example: a level 50 player being attacked by a level 1 dog, by itself, it would do 1 damage, miss, 1 damage, within a pack, the player could theoretically be challenged - and likewise a player sitting there doing nothing may eventually die from the wounds.

i always remind myself, this is a text based game, we will always have limitations, but i want things to be challenging and fair.

Distance is very cool, i like ranged attacks, but i don't believe it works perfectly, there are cases where i see monsters incapable of countering against this form of combat tactic, and when some of these players use this tactic, pets or elementals are often used.

I want the challenge to exist, i think pets when used with distance / retreating takes away from that challenge.

edit: i should note that this note deals with any form of 'free ride' whether you use pets, elementals, or other players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:17 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Isabelle, although that does sound like a good idea, I don't think it would be the best accepted tactic. It would probably lose a good deal of the current player base as they complain about difficulty. It might be harder to attract new MUDders also. I would like to see something like this with epics though. After their levelling, they might be prepared, and have the resources to deal with, a few (failed) attempts at killing things. I must say, however, that this idea would likely attract me to come back and find a way to beat the new system. I would finally have an excuse to code huge bot scripts (not that I'd seriously use them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:01 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

there will always be new players :)

and the current ones would adapt, they always have in the past :)
(even if they did complain)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:17 am 

Okay Isabelle... I try not to complain, but hey, here's my gruff...

Isabelle wrote:
and i am all for players using everything at their disposal, it's what i strive for. However, i am also aware of 'loopholes' within the game which have the unintended effect of giving some players a 'free ride'

^Okay... I admit there are some 'free rides'... where's mine? ;)

Quote:
My goals have and always will remain the same; to have:
A system which encourages [all] players to discover their full potential within the game via knowledge about combat, travel, exploration, etc.

^Full potential? I had potential 3 years ago... when I was around level 20. Then Cele started his balancing act. Now, I'm level 35, single class ranger. I'm learning, and I've gained more levels in the past few months than in the previous year. I did also take some time off, due to frustration with dying every 5 minutes, et cetera...

Quote:
A system where players can be self supported with minimal caretaker intervention.

^I try to be... :)

Quote:
A system where players will always require a challenge to gain experience, and evolve. In this system, every fight would require at least a minimal amount of thought, requiring the use of at least one advanced combat tactic - such as aiming for a limb, charging into combat, or anything aside from the normal spin/jab/thrust/lunge.

^Well, I have mastered swords, and yet, when I aim for a particular body part, I still go all over... The only time I consistently hit a particular body part was when I was using a crossbow, and doing about 25 damage per shot to a creature that had approx 900 hp... I have no problem with thinking ahead about combat, or to the use of tactics, but fighting a level 30 mob with a level 35 ranger, and getting my butt kicked, seriously!?

Quote:
Distance is very cool, i like ranged attacks, but i don't believe it works perfectly, there are cases where i see monsters incapable of countering against this form of combat tactic, and when some of these players use this tactic, pets or elementals are often used.

^I recently rediscovered range... using it to cast what spells I can before the mob tramples me does help.

Quote:
I want the challenge to exist, i think pets when used with distance / retreating takes away from that challenge.

edit: i should note that this note deals with any form of 'free ride' whether you use pets, elementals, or other players.

I do want to let the imms know that I appreciate their efforts... :) Dealing with us players isn't easy. (And I'll keep any further gripes about the ranger class out of here.)

Also Rivandor, Urvick, and Thog...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:53 pm 

Ok, back on topic... keep all pets at the same range as their owners... no cowering at 150 feet while your dragon (or whatever... I've never had a dragon... my strongest pet is a young dragonette) goes in to range 0 and wipes out the enemy. Same thing with elementals. Allow npc's in groups, but keep them all at the range of their respective owners/charmers/summoners. Just a thought... :)

Also Rivandor, Urvick, and Thog...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:53 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Im not sure if anyone else has noticed this really but before the last combat patch, pract. no one ever used a pet to level themselves let alone rely on them as tanks...why? because they were and are pretty weak...what does this mean? (no offense newbies) but that the newbies are even weaker than their pets (ill leave the elemental jugs out since thats very obviously a crutch that needs to be fixed) I think something else should be created in order to stimulate the newbies into thinking about their eq...i remember you were talking about better newbie/academy eq etc Isabelle...is that still coming in? Im not sure if thats the answer but perhaps this perspective lends something to the situation.