Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suggestion:+- configastral
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:09 am 
Lowbie

There really needs to be a config for people to astral to you. Maybe the default would to allow people to astral but make an option for disabling that. There's way too many people random astraling to players and that can be extremely annoying and considered as harassment.

I've been mining plenty of times and people just randomly astral to me and take things, or dig up my path where I saved minerals for another alt to dig. This is also addressed to fishing, I had a player randomly astraled to me and stole map bottles. I send a message and the player sent me 10k for it... a bottle isn't a big deal so I let it slide. The point is that this needs to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:13 pm 
Dual-Avatar

In the mines is your own fault for not claiming whatever you wanted for youself. Fishing, too, is your own fault for not going down and picking up your bottles as you fished them up. I would suggest not a config option, but rather an extremely hard (and magic immune, in a gigantic non-magic area (helps to limit buffs on weaker meleers))) super mob that would drop a temples or forehead equip at a 10% chance... It should be pretty hard to make yourself immune to non-aggressive spells. This piece of eq would also prevent farsight, transport, etc... Come to think of it, is there an item that prevents astral already? Perhaps I'm just thinking about prior suggestions.

I also do not believe that losses by your own mistakes should be considered harassment...but I also do not believe most of the criteria for harassment should count either, meh... I say just let players file a restraining order ^_^...if the person follows you, you can freely PK them or jail them...just don't have it so if the restrainer walks into the same room as the restrainee, it triggers...and don't have it trigger in towns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:59 pm 
Lowbie

The default would be to allow astraling, which has no affect on current game play. Only additional option is to cancel that. And yes it is harassment if a player won't you alone and have a negative influence on your game play... you can't PK a player who you cannot kill... and even if you are able to kill them, how you going to proof that you killed them harassment. If there's a config to block summon, how is this different. Random summoning is harassment, so how isn't a player following, annoying, and stealing from you isn't harassment? This is not a matter of 'anti magic'.

The mining and fishing, yes its the miner/fisher's fault for not picking up loot every second he/she finds it. However, this 99% render the option of ->convenient<- 'find loot' then loot all together without anyone stealing. This is not like random 'finders keepers', this is 'purposely getting loot of another player NOT at random' Making the game unecessary harder on someone, bothering them, or 'theft' is harassment.

Anyway, like I said earlier, the default is allowing astral, which would not affect any players negatively except for those who actually does the random astraling for negative purposes. Caretaker opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

you sure you want caretaker opinion? :)

okay, remove astral altogether

problem solved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:48 pm 
Lowbie

That's like saying 'the car has a flat tire, lets get rid of the car, problem solved.' :/

Getting a new 'car' would be nice... but wouldn't it be easier to fix the tire to save time, money, and stress? ... analogy

Maybe if there're runewalk pillars everywhere(Dunly, one in most dungeons, spread throughout maps, etc), the maximum runewalk save would increase to at least 30, and another transportation idea comes in... I wouldn't mind a replacement for astral... but I like I said about getting a new car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:38 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I like Isabelle's idea...

But my suggestions:
Leave a couple areas in each region of the map with portallable rooms or pillars...
Then again, they're not that needed any way considering how easily you can get around the map in no time...
Maybe enable vehicles for those who can't figure out how to use basic MUD commands...
Oh wait, no, just leave the vehicles that are there...

Hmm...Yeah, let's just remove astral and leave it at that. I'm with Isab...wait...what am I saying? *Head explodes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:51 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

astral is like a mortal version of 'goto'
goto should not exist for players in a game, or any game.

i am perfectly happy with vehicles / waypoints / pillars / permanent portals strategically placed around Alora...

recall, that's fine
recall to a couple major cities, i can deal with that.

good points:
1) celeborn can remove all code dealing with astral, noastral, portals, areas being immune or not to astral, etc etc
2) players no longer need to deal with players farsighting them, and stealing their kills, or stealing their quest kills, or finding their quest treasure, or doing whatever is normally associated with the abuse of astral walk / portal.
3) players may need to rely on maps of the land which show portal locations, to figure out the best route to a particular destination. (using their brain)
4) with the removal of such 'goto' spells, pkilling becomes almost feasible.
5) other forms of transportation currently ignored / shunned, become useful.

bad points:
1) players can't be lazy, and may be required to think
2) celeborn would need to do a little work to ensure the other forms of transportation function as desired, and may need to add "public transit" systems. (with a fairy conductor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:35 am 

I feel players should largely be earthbound. In other words, walk.

While there are non-astral flagged rooms, there's simply not enough of them. Runewalking is adequate in most cases of travel needs. Anything more is too much.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:35 am 
Lowbie

Good additionals points from Isa's post. Also, maybe farsight would depend on willpower (like its supposed to) when using it on another player. Maybe this will also make players explore and find those nexus for epic... and track might be more useful.

If you remove traveling spells... there really gotta be a way to get to certain areas... such as armageddon and ACD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:54 pm 
Tri-Avatar

It appears people are largely blind to the good ideas.

http://forums.dark-legacy.com/viewtopic.php?t=243

I'll even bump it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:10 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yes, i'm sure there are other threads as well, since this has been proposed again and again, since about the time that config +showrolls first came into being.

but we have hijacked this particular thread to be more about whether or not astral /portal should even exist.

farsight should continue to be allowed (with no config.), as there is an item which can negate its effects.