Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Justice Council
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:41 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Here is an updated list of rules and regulations for Justice Council members.

First, the purpose of the J.C. is to assist in jailing and judging players who have broken the laws regarding illegal player assaults and murders.

#1 You /cannot/ jail someone unless they have a criminal flag.

#2 Favouritism is not allowed, It may happen, if it does, you will be caught, you will be jailed for cheating and stripped of your position.

#3 Bail does not exist, bribes will get you jailed for cheating and stripped of your position.

#4 When a player is jailed, you must follow these rules:
4a You must find out what happened from the aggressor.
4b You must find out what happened from the victim.
4c You must decide if it was accidental or not.
(Special consideration to new players who are obviously confused)
4d Judge the player accordingly.

4e If the player appears to be truly a newbie, and it appears as though it was an entirely accidental crime, you must speak to a caretaker. (send me a PM, or send a tell to an online caretaker)
4f It's all about fair play, remember that, live by that.
4g Lastly, after it's done, a note must be placed in the Justice Council board room, with a description of what happened. A summary of events is more than acceptable.

#5 If you see someone in jail, with a flag reading [Awaiting Judgement] you MUST take care of it. If i catch you leaving the player to rot, for any reason, you will be stripped of your position, and publicly humiliated for your actions. I reserve the right to be imaginative with your public humiliation.

The current council has been disbanded so that i could ensure you have read these rules. Those who wish to re-apply, may do so.

Last edited by Isabelle on Tue May 17, 2005 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Justice Council
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:52 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Justice Council commands:

jail visit - visit the current areas jail cell
jail [player] - jail a player marked with a [criminal] flag
jail judge [player] # - judge a player

The councilroom is in the far west corridor of the jail complex.

A 1 way pillar is located there to help you get back to the outside world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:46 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

ok i understand about the JC is to assist in jailing and judging players who have broken the laws regarding illegal player assaults and murders. what if your trying to help someone to get vampire to bite then and get a pardon in return? this is accidental ,correct? :shock:
Ok for the [Awaiting Judgement] only JC members can see this correct? if so maybe i should apply again and see if they're is opening now :P
i think more rules should apply or a change as in so we dont have to chase someone down we can just judge player and you and the person are in jail to talk about it. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:45 pm 
Dual-Avatar

zidane wrote:
i think more rules should apply or a change as in so we dont have to chase someone down we can just judge player and you and the person are in jail to talk about it. :idea:

This would go against the original idea setforth for the justice council, that being an RP role. For IC crimes, characters should have to be chased down, I even believe they should need to be subdued, but that's non-negotiable I have been told. For OOC crimes, only imms can arrest criminals and they are able to transport them as it is. I do not believe that ordinary justice guards should gain the ability to transport anyone to jail, even criminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:58 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

if you are helping someone become a vampire, you bite them, and they report you, and then you get sent to jail... then either A) it was not done willingly, or B) it was done to someone who doesnt like you.

(You will go to jail unless pardoned by the victim)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:04 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

There are only two actions that can be made from jail. The first is to jailtalk. The second is to use a bank function.

The reason for the first is of course to plead your case or to speak to caretakers and justices.

The origional reason for the second was so that people in jail COULD post their own bail, and COULD hand out bribes. Why? Because origionally the JC was suspose to be an RP function. What is it now? Its become nothing more then a group of mini-caretakers whose special purpose is to handle PvP crimes and accidents.

What would happen if players completely boycotted the JC and refused to apply for membership? Caretakers would be forced to act in their stead. Yes, this would waste valuable Caretaker time, but it proves my above point. JC has completely departed from its origional concept as an RP council, and is now 100% an admin function. As an RP'er I dislike that.

On another note, I completely agree with Quintos. I feel that a crime committed IC should require them to either capture you by subdue, or hold a trial without you present and conduct a manhunt to the death (declared outlaw). Will it ever be that way? I 100% doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:05 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

Haven't we already talked about bail and rp on this forum before? The main reason why bail was taken away was because people who are able to pay bail often times get right out of jail, go kill someone, get in jail, pay bail, go kill someone again. Whereas if they were put in jail for say 48 hours, they'd have 48 hours of no killing and time to cool down and think what they've done. We've tried the bail system before, and it didn't work at all, we've tried the current system, and it's been able to work a lot better.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Last edited by Dunadan on Wed May 18, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:11 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

Vogar Eol wrote:

What would happen if players completely boycotted the JC and refused to apply for membership? Caretakers would be forced to act in their stead. Yes, this would waste valuable Caretaker time, but it proves my above point.

As for this i don't ever see this happening, not only are most of the current JC those that have been in it for a while, but also a lot of people want to be JC. A current boycott if pulled off (don't know how it could be), would only stop people from applying, not stop people (like me) from being a JC. A lot of players view the JC as a defense against illegal acts like pkilling, and a lot of players wish to help by upholding those laws

P.S. There are more actions available in jail then just those two, like drink :P, but i'm done arguing :P.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:59 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

bail was removed because of abuse.

when a guild / and select players decided they would make money killing players, that ended it.

the idea of bail, sounds great on paper
the idea of bribes also sounds cool on paper

in reality, it sucks, and players get slaughtered, and don't have any means left to them, other than to stop playing, or use a different character and hopefully not get slaughtered again.

(and, because of pkills making it so that you can't supplicate your corpse - the victim also loses all their possessions from corpse campers)

So tell you what, you fix it so that there arent crap players who make others gameplay hell, and we'll see what we can do.

:)

Post subject: a new idea on jailing?
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:22 pm 
Lowbie

I have a proposition for the report/pardon system and jail times..

I think, that if you are jailed for murder, justified or not, you shouldn't be able to be pardoned at all once judged.

if assault..you can be pardoned after half the time of your judgment has elapsed, not before.

etc etc...

I don't think it's right, that if someone get's put in jail for something, they get judged and sent to jail for a certain length of time, then they shuold have to deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:43 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Probably sounds bad, but that's the whole idea of bribes/bails...those who have means can get away doing whatever the hell they want. Hell, it's not like those with means aren't treated differently in real life too. Bail is always considerably easier for a rich man to post, let alone the fact that the CEO isn't gonna be seen being thrown against a wall, frisked, handcuffed, and thrown into the back of a cop car.

Bribes are meant to let the rich get away with whatever they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:10 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

possibly, but it cannot happen until 'pk' rules come into place

such as 5 minute free time after you get pkilled, which allows you to gather your corpse and run away.

the complete removal of astral walk
- or, an astral walk patch which prevents players from astralling to players via a toggle.
(default would be noastral)

the removal of loot being dropped on death (to prevent unscrupulous players from planning a 'kill' then 'intentionally crash the mud' scenario. (to make a player lose their possessions)

safe zones (area wide) for players

if all those things came to be, then perhaps bribes, bail, might be acceptable.

in other words, there must be protection in place first. And players have to have a fair chance of playing without guaranteed death.

Post subject: Re: a new idea on jailing?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:56 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Chubbukoku wrote:
I don't think it's right, that if someone get's put in jail for something, they get judged and sent to jail for a certain length of time, then they shuold have to deal with it.
i have to agree put a limit of time and make it double for each crime they do or just have the J.C. members have a max of limit of jail time. If the player is jail more then once then the jail time should double or one of the following:
A.) player recreates.(escaping from jail and have to relevel)
B.) player learns s/he lesson.
C.) Player account is jail with all 8 characters because of bad actions.
zidane wrote:
The game is suppose be fun but we have to take out the bad time or influences that ruin it for other players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:07 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quintos wrote:
This would go against the original idea setforth for the justice council, that being an RP role. For IC crimes, characters should have to be chased down, I even believe they should need to be subdued, but that's non-negotiable I have been told. For OOC crimes, only imms can arrest criminals and they are able to transport them as it is. I do not believe that ordinary justice guards should gain the ability to transport anyone to jail, even criminals.
Ok its not fun if someone is cursing of a storm on the ooc channel and going on a kill sphree. Most of all killing one of the C.J. for kicks.
Non-Negotiable! demeoloy is not tolarated peroid exuse the typo just a quick note here *back to work*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:45 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

With all due respect, since LOOTING is gone, there is absolutely no reason a corpse shouldn't be allowed to be supplicated after a pkill. The only reason it was like that in the first place was because of looting. The idea was you get time to pick over their corpse and they can't just supplicate away your prize.

Since looting is completely and utterly gone, there is no reason we shouldn't make it possible to supplicate a corpse after a pkill. Currently, all it takes is someone pissed at you to aggree to help you run a supermob thats aggressive. Once past lots of other hard mobs, and right at the hostile supermob they need just turn on you and your corpse is as good as gone.

Another case and point is in really high level epic dungeons. If killed deep inside a fresh level, the chances of making it back solo are zilch and nill. If the evil-doer is camping my corpse in epic, just how does the JC make me feel safer?

All JC do is clean up the mess afterwords, and MAYBE if they are tough, smart enough, and on at the right time, help a few people out of these sticky situations.

As for Bail and Bribes, why should ANY money go to the JC individuals? If its trully about RP, give the darn Justices a council bank account. They can play a crooked cop and take the bribe without personally getting the money. Let any money from Bail/Bribes go DIRECTLY to that council account, and let that general fund be used to help people who HAVE been abused by criminals. In a for instance, lets say a corpse was camped in epic and someone lost everything they had. That general fund could be used as a charity case.

On another note, each crime should have VERY specific punishments, and not just time sitting and rotting.

Murder: Rot in jail
Justified Murder: Rot in jail, with possible parole for good behavior.
Assault: Rot in jail, pay a heavy fine, or both
Theft: Rot in jail, pay a heavy fine, or both
Harassment: jail time, or fine
ect....

Think of real life crimes: 10 years or $100,000 fine....

PS... If a fine is not stopping people, the fine is NOT high enough. Also lets say you could rot in jail for 100hrs, or you could pay the fine and rot for 5 hours.... which would you pick?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Chubbukoku wrote:
I think, that if you are jailed for murder, justified or not, you shouldn't be able to be pardoned at all once judged.

if assault..you can be pardoned after half the time of your judgment has elapsed, not before.

I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:48 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Zidane wrote:
Ok its not fun if someone is cursing of a storm on the ooc channel and going on a kill sphree. Most of all killing one of the C.J. for kicks.
Non-Negotiable! demeoloy is not tolarated peroid exuse the typo just a quick note here *back to work*

If the person is coming out to kill a JG - I assume that is what you meant by C.J. - then the rest of the JC could come and arrest the person. Perhaps we should force the JC to equip their characters properly so that they won't be able to be killed for kicks.
There is one other flaw that I see with your idea. People can log what was said on OOC, ignore the person, and send it to Isabelle.
If your arguement is that things are not done enough when people are doing this, perhaps you believe Celeborn should pick a couple more players who can recieve low level immortals that have the ability to transport players to them and are on the JC. This is a possibility if you just want people who are on at all times to do things like this. They would have to know that their powers are just to be used for OOC crimes, however, and not for petty IC ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:52 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quintos wrote:
If the person is coming out to kill a JG - I assume that is what you meant by C.J. - then the rest of the JC could come and arrest the person. Perhaps we should force the JC to equip their characters properly so that they won't be able to be killed for kicks.
There is one other flaw that I see with your idea. People can log what was said on OOC, ignore the person, and send it to Isabelle.
If your arguement is that things are not done enough when people are doing this, perhaps you believe Celeborn should pick a couple more players who can recieve low level immortals that have the ability to transport players to them and are on the JC. This is a possibility if you just want people who are on at all times to do things like this. They would have to know that their powers are just to be used for OOC crimes, however, and not for petty IC ones.
Ok first thing J.C. are players that know better, and teach other new players "The ropes about the game" after that its up to the new players to become advance enough to have fun. Celeborn should'nt to have pick more players for low level imms. the code should be already there just add like a range rune command (no not the range rune). This way the player can be jail for misbehave and talk to s/he. This should relieved (to stop feelings distressed) immortals. Players should know better. if your over 18 year old and dont know better then the older players step up. Age is not a matter in the game. If it get out of hand then let the immortals handle it (banning). maybe if the person change his IP address then he will learn something not to do wrong to others (figture of speech).
Any exp. player know better when to ask and not to be a abuser.
(Abusers as in someone who regularly or habitually abuses someone and/or something in particlar).
8) hope you can understand what im saying J.C. players dont need anything special to jail someone to talk to the player to work it out first :roll:
Zidane wrote:
damn not like you need a few people to stay on all the time. I do not think this is a job super justice councils there're not getting pay for this but just make it fun.

Guest wrote:
P.S if you see a typo/dont understand or trying to make something more powerful that is not needed then step aside peon! Your not going to get it here. :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:02 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Chubbukoku wrote:

Zidane wrote:
I cant help it if im real strong and testing my new spell out for the arena. I remember you having killer elementals :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:19 am 
Dual-Avatar

There a rather distinct line between giving a council of people the ability to jail those who have been reported by a victim and giving a council of people the ability to jail anyone who they feel has done something worthy of jailing. While there are situation when it would obviously be appropriate to jail someone and situations where it is obviously not appropriate, there are also grey situations in between. You will argue that all JG are capable of distinguishing when they should and should not jail, but it will still cause more problems. Are we going to fully trust the JC? Are we going to have the imms check through pages of logs to decide if those who were jailed really deserved to be? If we go with the first option, we're asking for corruption. If we go with the second, I see little reason to implement this. If we truly do implement this, I believe we will need a function where 3 or more JC must vote to jail the accused. This will make it less likely to be affected by corruption while still making the job of immortals easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:41 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

JC people can only jail and judge those who have been reported by a crime by another player. (specifically murder and assault)

its hard coded, the reason why one of my rules states to make sure the criminal has the 'criminal flag' is for the JC persons own protection, so that they don't get a crime against them, or mistakenly try to attack someone who is not a criminal.

that..will never change

jc people are players, not admins, admins handle ooc disciplinary action.

harassment, and such, we consider ooc due to their severity. Anything that threatens the game, or how the people play the game...adversely, is considered ooc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:26 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Thank you, Isabelle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:28 pm 

Okay, you have a problem with people paying to get out of jail, killing, and paying again........... Why?

I kill Joe. I go to jail. I pay a mil to get out.

I kill Frank. I go to jail. I try to pay a mil to get out, get laughed at, and have to pay 5 mil if I want to get out.

Note, that these are just random numbers, but why not just up the cost A LOT. If they pay 500,000 gp the first time, then they'll have to pay a few mil the second or something..... That way, unless you're made of gold you won't have a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Tuler wrote:
Okay, you have a problem with people paying to get out of jail, killing, and paying again........... Why?

I kill Joe. I go to jail. I pay a mil to get out.

I kill Frank. I go to jail. I try to pay a mil to get out, get laughed at, and have to pay 5 mil if I want to get out.
Well if you ask me if you kill/murder someone you do the time no bail :P

Post subject: hehe, my turn
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:49 am 

well, I suppose it is time for me to put in my two sense, and stir things up. thats what im good at, eh? anyways... I beleive that bail and whatnot? good idea, just ensure that the prices of bail are worthy of the crime. bribe? absolutely not... thats when some guy who is good friends with a JC just kills and kills and kills. not on my watch. but I know that hours upon hours of nothing is alot of stress to someone - and they may very well leave the game because of it. thats my worry - havent we lost enough people? I mean, yes, alot of the people that go are people we wont miss, but good players sometimes get ticked, rampage, and get nailed for a ton of online hours, and then what? what if they quit? was the whole system worth it? was our paranoia worthwhile? to address the other aspect - the way we jail is weak. we only need to hit them once... and I think it is cheap. think from a player perspective... if they wanna RP thier character, the JC should be forced to subdue them to take them in... it isnt fair to those who are just playing thier character. I mean, if I am playing Demeron, and someone slights him somehow, he is going to go beserk on them. im tired of playing demeron alltogether, because thats his RP, and it is impossible for him to get away, because he literally doesnt stand a fighting chance - he isnt allowed too. noone is, and I think it is bad form. Isabelle, you had a very good point about corpse looting though - it IS something that needs to be addressed before we can implement the bail portion of this. but I am NOT worried about overpowered characters going on a rampage - this, if anything, will force JCs to work together to take in an especially dangerous criminal. I remember when we used to have huge in game events and RPing, where has alla this gone? I know I am ranting, but I havent had my say in this entire thread till now - so deal with it. =p I stand with Vogar and Quintos on this one... JC was originally an RP function, and its RP functionality is gone.

Beleives in capital punishment,
~Bruteus Lonewolf