Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Aborting Classes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

As it stands, when you abort, you are taken back to level 1 of any of your first classes.

For example: Pal 11/ Cleric 11 aborts to ---> Paladin 1

Is it possible to change the coding so that when someone aborts a class, it goes to the 1st class (level 50)?

Pal 11/ Cleric 11 aborts to ----> Pal 50 so that if I want to change the Cleric Class to say Mage, it can be done using multiclass?

Final Result: Pal 1 / Mage 1 using muticlass option
------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps this can be done the same for all three classes.

Pal 11/ Mage 11/ Ranger 11 aborts to ---> Pal 50/Mage 50 and then they can change their last class. Final Result: Pal 1/Mage 1/Warrior 1 using multiclass option again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Most choose the correct 1st class, otherwise they end up deleting that character if they decide otherwise later to remake it anway. Whereas, the second/third class is debatable and as a lot of leveling was accomplished, it would help a lot if the 'abort' wasn't such a severe change. Just a suggestion. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:58 am 
Dual-Avatar

I believe that abort is meant to be such a drastic step back. If at level 5/5/5, you decide you would rather have a different class, you should not instantly be back to the same level. The extra hours it adds to levelling is a good penalty for the lack of thought originally put into the character and serves as a good lesson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:24 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Although you have a point about it teaching a lesson i have to say that the idea proposed would be a lot more fair and newbie friendly. People who want to change class are either newbies who learned something that makes them want to change it/didnt like the new class or ppl who made a mistake while multiclassing...which happens...ive done it too :P
I might even go so far as to say that you should be able to abort after tri-av, back to 50/50. Ive had it a couple of times where ive remade a character in order to replace one class. Its a bit of a drag on crafts and such :P (fyi, usually because of patch changes etc..not because i didnt know what i was getting before i picked it...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:44 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Hmm...just an idea:

Every 500 epic levels you gain the ability to replace one of your classes

OR

We use the idea that Manastofle posted a while ago that suggested every 1000 epic levels you gain the ability to pick up a new class. Although this seems overpowered, how many e1000 characters do you need? It's also not that overpowered because at that point, most characters have maxed speed and enough abilities to take down pretty much anything. This is more a solution to certain classes being nerfed through patches. Furthermore, do to the class overlaps, you would not really gain a full new class but rather 1 or 2 abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:24 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I remember Autumn made it to level 50 the first time around. Shortly there after she multi-classed. At level 1/1 she decided she wanted to change that class (after looking at the slists). She didn't read the abort helpfile correctly and went back to level 1. She almost cried. She is the reason that helpfile was clarified a bit.