Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Miners: Being "Adept" and "Rolls"
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

My mitrill miner (100% adept): receives this typical pattern from an 'M' symbol:

You destroy some Mitrill ore (10). x 6 = (60 ore lost)

You dig up Mitrill Ore (total of 49 ore) and drop it on the stack!

Each room varies with an 'M' symbol, but for each 'M' that I have mined in the last couple of weeks, the average resources mined is less than 50%. This goes with varied other Mitrill symbols of '+' and 'm' - nearly 50% ore obtained. Now on some occasions, I am lucky to go above that percentage - in some cases, I have been lucky to mine 100% of the resources from an 'm.' It happens to me maybe once-twice a day if I mine for several hours.

Is this reasonable? What are your thoughts on this? Curious ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:11 pm 

I think so. It's not likely a person digging around is going to find every ounce of resource, or find every ore/gem they find to be usable (this is how it is in RL, afterall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:50 am 
Dual-Avatar

I think you shouldn't destroy any with 100% mastery, which is just that, one hundred percent mastery at mining a very specific type of resource. You aren't going to mess up over half the time on something you've dedicated your entire mining career to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:20 am 

I could say sure, Nuitari, but I'm not. Because it'd be wrong to. :)

Reason being becoming 100% adept is easily reachable by EVERYONE. It's nothing special and warrants no reward in itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:25 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Jorelani wrote:
I could say sure, Nuitari, but I'm not. Because it'd be wrong to. :)

Reason being becoming 100% adept is easily reachable by EVERYONE. It's nothing special and warrants no reward in itself.

Depends on the resource. For mitrill thats true. For carnelian thats true. But 100% adept in say...Meteorite, is quite special and only reachable by people who have WAY too much time on their hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:55 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I have time on my hands.
I may start an alt dedicated to just a super ore.
So which is the best ore you can get as a player, short of emeralite? Meteorite or Adamantite?

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:58 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Gilgolad wrote:
I have time on my hands.
I may start an alt dedicated to just a super ore.
So which is the best ore you can get as a player, short of emeralite? Meteorite or Adamantite?

BAhahahahahaha. Good luck. Btw, the best is Meteorite, followed directly by Adamantite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:11 am 
Dual-Avatar

I figured id get a few people who think im nuts, but hey, a guy can dream cant he? And i willl try, but ill start up with another ore, like copper, go to 60 % or so, and just alternate with the ores, this way less is wasted. i can do the same trick with procesing.

Just think, if i succeed, everyone with the ore can come to me to get the maximum yeild from it. and for those who think im crazy, ill charge you triple :P

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:41 pm 

weems wrote:
Depends on the resource. For mitrill thats true. For carnelian thats true. But 100% adept in say...Meteorite, is quite special and only reachable by people who have WAY too much time on their hands.

Totally acceptable. But I would suggest a smaller rate of failure compared to other ores, instead of complete success. Unless one wants to make such resources very valuable. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:46 am 
 WWW  Profile

Jorelani wrote:
Totally acceptable. But I would suggest a smaller rate of failure compared to other ores, instead of complete success. Unless one wants to make such resources very valuable. :)

Ores such as ada/met are rare enough to encounter. There isn't such a thing as a complete success as is O.o *please read 1st post* Ores are still quite valuable.

Also, for cele...I still can't mine citrine/carnelian properly on my cit/carn gem miner; yet I am getting various other gems. Was that supposed to be fixed? Curious ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:34 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I would say "Why put the metal there if a 100% miner is going to destroy it?" atleast unless some effect item improves your mining abilities. If that is the case, then heck... there should be some there for various improvements.

Personally, I find it utterly depressing to see so much good material destroyed so quickly....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:10 pm 

Mining has always puzzled me...I know for ease of programming and stuff certain things act like other things even though they shouldn't.

I can see why when your mining rock or gemstones, if your not 100 percent in that type of medium that your going to lose/destroy some/all of that resource, but ore shouldn't ever be destroyed, lost maybe...you might not get all of it as you didn't notice the taletell signs that the chunk of rock you just removed had some ore in it, but for the most part, even the smallest piece can still be melted down and used.

I think the limiting factor of ore should be in the smelting process and the length of time it takes to dig through the medium the ore is in. Rocks and gems are prone to stress cracks and as such, if your not 100% in that medium your going to lose resources of it.

I also think there should be a new type of rock, Marble.

And with that, I think it would be better that when you want to build a house/keep/castle/citadel whatever, instead of having to come up with all the money to buy it, why not allow people to go out and gather the materials...simple houses could be all wood, or wood/stone combo, each 'level' of house would require better and more materials. A castle would be mostle granite and wood and a citadel should be mainly marble and wood with some granite.

Obviously it would still cost some money to build structures (workers to do the work) but you could seriously offset the cost by supplying most or all of the building materials.

Just a few thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:50 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Terrible ideas.

Although it would be more realistic to go with what you have said, it would definetly go against the entire grain of what the entire mining system has been built upon.

I have already been screwed enough as it is, I do not feel like getting screwed more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:47 pm 

weems wrote:
Terrible ideas.

Although it would be more realistic to go with what you have said, it would definetly go against the entire grain of what the entire mining system has been built upon.

I have already been screwed enough as it is, I do not feel like getting screwed more.

Would you care to elaborate on how or why they are terrible ideas? And just how would they 'screw' you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:51 am 
Tri-Avatar

grykon wrote:
weems wrote:
Terrible ideas.

Would you care to elaborate on how or why they are terrible ideas? And just how would they 'screw' you?

Alright. To paint the picture I'll need to go over the previous mines, which you are probably already familiar with, but whatever.

Previous mining system was very similiar to this one, except you were blind, except by looking at the walls in the current room you were on. Different resources were found at different levels in the mines.

Mining both gems and ore was much harder on the old system. The results were more compacted. 100% in a resource guaranteed you would mine up a fair quantity of that resource, but if you tried mining up some OTHER resource, usually you got little to none, with the exception of very low stuff. Even gem mining, if you were 100% citrine mining, and tried to mine up so garnets, you only very rarely get any. If you were 100% mitrill mining and mined all the adamantite you saw, you would also get very little, it took a long time to accumulate.

Anyway, I worked my ass off and got to 100% adamantite mining, and high meteorite mining as well. Also managed to get some high percents in some upper level gems. The adamantite was paying off, the meteorite was just barely starting to yield some decent returns when the patch came.

Blam.

Now all of the sudden every single resource is easy to mine, regardless of your percents. It depended far more on luck than in having a high percent in a specific thing, when looking for the better ores. Also, the results were far less compacted...So a 100% mitrill miner only gets maybe 30 or 40% less meteorite than me, even though im over 90% in meteorite mining. This also applies to adamantite. Considering the amount of time I spent in the mines in order to get any quantity of meteorite at all, you can see how this might upset me.

Gems are in the same state. You can just go waltz over to any gem you see and pull it right up no problem. Blue diamonds? No problem, as long as you are good at junk gem mining, like citrine.

Anyway, all of this still has me extremely pissed off, to say the least.

You suggested that your mining percent in a specific ore type should have a negligable impact on the quantity mined, thus making it even WORSE for me. Why not just reset all my characters while you are at it, and spit on me?

I have no problem with your idea about mining marble and constructing buildings though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 pm 

weems wrote:

Alright. To paint the picture I'll need to go over the previous mines, which you are probably already familiar with, but whatever.

Previous mining system was very similiar to this one, except you were blind, except by looking at the walls in the current room you were on. Different resources were found at different levels in the mines.

Mining both gems and ore was much harder on the old system. The results were more compacted. 100% in a resource guaranteed you would mine up a fair quantity of that resource, but if you tried mining up some OTHER resource, usually you got little to none, with the exception of very low stuff. Even gem mining, if you were 100% citrine mining, and tried to mine up so garnets, you only very rarely get any. If you were 100% mitrill mining and mined all the adamantite you saw, you would also get very little, it took a long time to accumulate.

Anyway, I worked my ass off and got to 100% adamantite mining, and high meteorite mining as well. Also managed to get some high percents in some upper level gems. The adamantite was paying off, the meteorite was just barely starting to yield some decent returns when the patch came.

Blam.

Now all of the sudden every single resource is easy to mine, regardless of your percents. It depended far more on luck than in having a high percent in a specific thing, when looking for the better ores. Also, the results were far less compacted...So a 100% mitrill miner only gets maybe 30 or 40% less meteorite than me, even though im over 90% in meteorite mining. This also applies to adamantite. Considering the amount of time I spent in the mines in order to get any quantity of meteorite at all, you can see how this might upset me.

Gems are in the same state. You can just go waltz over to any gem you see and pull it right up no problem. Blue diamonds? No problem, as long as you are good at junk gem mining, like citrine.

Anyway, all of this still has me extremely pissed off, to say the least.

You suggested that your mining percent in a specific ore type should have a negligable impact on the quantity mined, thus making it even WORSE for me. Why not just reset all my characters while you are at it, and spit on me?

I have no problem with your idea about mining marble and constructing buildings though.

Thanks for the clarification and your support on the marble and building construction!

Actually I enjoyed the old mine other then when people would drop into the room you spent 3 hours digging into and without even so much as asking would start digging the 'booty' out of the walls as you stood there helpless to do anything about it...though I think my mining of gems (citrine and carnies) was higher back then...might be wrong...seems like it though. And as a side note I think luck has its place in mining...it should offset some of the experience needed for mining and harvesting of usable material.

So when you say my ideas were terrible you meant only in the context of how the change in ore mining would negate all the 'blood, sweat and tears' you spent on getting your character(s) so high in adamantite and meteorite mining. I feel you there, I started working for a company 10+ years ago making usd 6.25 an hour and worked my way up to just over usd 12.50 an hour (5 years of blood, sweat and tears) only to have the company change the starting pay rate and people were then making $10 an hour just walking in the door...the part that really got me was when this one 'kid' was just standing around and I got on him about doing some work and he's like "They're only paying me 10 an hour, that's too much work for that." Talk about coming unglued.

Basically, it seems like there isn't anything they could do to make the mining part of the game appeal more to new comers (or even old players that have never mined) that would suit you because in some way it would bring them closer to your level without them going through what you did to get to where you are. And while I really can understand and feel your frustration on this point I guess I need to ask, how long will you feel this before a change can be made that you won't feel this way? Or what changes could be made that you would be agreeable with that would make mining more appealing to others? Is it the quantity of material people are pulling out of the mine that offends you, or are you worried it will (or has) lower(ed) the value of what your mining/making to sale to people?

And just for the record, I would never spit on you or want your characters reset...You're alts have made some fine items for me that I am very appreciative of...I'm just trying to discuss my thoughts and feelings about this area.

I was reading another thread this morning about mining and saw some of this same discussion about percentages and stuff like that being mined and the last thing I want to do is get that started in another thread, I'm more curious about what could be done that would make the craft more appealing but wouldn't upset those who were 'masters' in it before the changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:15 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

you got it, it's a difficult job to make crafts/mining enjoyable for new players (or - new miners) and still try to retain interest for the veteran player.

sure, the oldschool player who has a stranglehold on a particular resource will cry and complain because now they and their elitist group can't do the whole 'price-fixing' thing.

There are some things i would like to see changed, i wouldn't call the newest change perfect, but it does cater to new players, and for that reason alone, i embrace it.

The veteran players complain all the time that Dark Legacy is too hard for new players, and that we are making it too difficult, you notice that when we go ahead and make it easier, suddenly they aren't so happy about making it easier anymore :)

(changes i would like to see - would be more emphasis placed on a players skill level when mining for 'rare-type' resources)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:33 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
you got it, it's a difficult job to make crafts/mining enjoyable for new players (or - new miners) and still try to retain interest for the veteran player.

sure, the oldschool player who has a stranglehold on a particular resource will cry and complain because now they and their elitist group can't do the whole 'price-fixing' thing.

There are some things i would like to see changed, i wouldn't call the newest change perfect, but it does cater to new players, and for that reason alone, i embrace it.

The veteran players complain all the time that Dark Legacy is too hard for new players, and that we are making it too difficult, you notice that when we go ahead and make it easier, suddenly they aren't so happy about making it easier anymore :)

(changes i would like to see - would be more emphasis placed on a players skill level when mining for 'rare-type' resources)

I have said this before, and I will say it again. Mining has ALWAYS been an interest for new players, even in the old system. You will notice that if you dig up old threads, that people were complaining that the old mines were too small because of the steady increase in the number of people mining.

Thus, making your point moot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:51 pm 
Dual-Avatar

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. :roll:

Ya just gotta suck it up if something isn't going your way. :evil:

This is why liberals are so dangerous, they try to appease too many people at once. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:35 pm 

I believe her point is far from moot, Like you I think the Mining skill starts out as an item of interest to all players, but in the old system I think interest decreased quickly. And that is where the problem was...retaining miners.

The new system seems to make mining easier thereby giving newer miners a chance to harvest some of the more exotic materials instead of having to go out and find 50k+ to pay someone for an item. Or selling the material to other players...The advantage you immeadiately have is you don't have to work your way up to 100% or whatever percentage you have in a material like new miners.

Just as an example I have mined for 3 days about 12-15 hours and found 1 wall of obvious adamantite, with a 60% total mining skill 0% in adamantite I dug the wall, took 7 digs, got 6 pieces of adamantite (1 per dig), destroyed 5 (in one dig) and it was all gone, my skill was now 1.24%...personally I think that stinks, but it seems fair overall in the current game setting.

Maybe it is a little unfair because I didn't have to dig down to 1000 ft or whatever, I was at the border of granite and had weaved a trail a snake would love to find...I just don't see how it really affects users who have had 100% before...other then in theory, they could reach 100% a little faster then you did...the biggest difference now is, there are far more places to mine and that much more resources to find without competition making it more fun to do so.

Obviously my idea would affect miners who are 100% in some ore mining, but the current system, I don't see it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:21 pm 
Tri-Avatar

grykon wrote:
I believe her point is far from moot, Like you I think the Mining skill starts out as an item of interest to all players, but in the old system I think interest decreased quickly. And that is where the problem was...retaining miners.

The new system seems to make mining easier thereby giving newer miners a chance to harvest some of the more exotic materials instead of having to go out and find 50k+ to pay someone for an item. Or selling the material to other players...The advantage you immeadiately have is you don't have to work your way up to 100% or whatever percentage you have in a material like new miners.

Just as an example I have mined for 3 days about 12-15 hours and found 1 wall of obvious adamantite, with a 60% total mining skill 0% in adamantite I dug the wall, took 7 digs, got 6 pieces of adamantite (1 per dig), destroyed 5 (in one dig) and it was all gone, my skill was now 1.24%...personally I think that stinks, but it seems fair overall in the current game setting.

Maybe it is a little unfair because I didn't have to dig down to 1000 ft or whatever, I was at the border of granite and had weaved a trail a snake would love to find...I just don't see how it really affects users who have had 100% before...other then in theory, they could reach 100% a little faster then you did...the biggest difference now is, there are far more places to mine and that much more resources to find without competition making it more fun to do so.

Obviously my idea would affect miners who are 100% in some ore mining, but the current system, I don't see it...

Again, the old mines were extremely popular. I don't know why you and Isabelle will not concede this FACT. I will say this yet again:

You can look back and see threads about how the old mines were getting crowded due to popularity.

The longer the mines were open, the more popular they were. The new mines are no more apt to attract new people than the old ones. The only difference is that now its really really really easy to get anything.

And in response to your mining adamantite, try doing it with a 100% mitrill miner if you have one, or any 100% ore miner. You will find it to be easier. Also, you have to realize, rarity of a resource in terms of how many blocks there are only makes the situation WORSE for people who adepted it. Why? Because it makes extra percents gained more meaningless.

Now lets say I can findone obvious chunk of meteorite for every 15 hours of mining. That is a constant, and is no different no matter who is mining, as long as they mine in the same fashion, staying on the bottom level and looking for capital M's. Alright, now lets say the 100% mitrill miner gets 5 ore from each obvious chunk on average, and that I get 9. So that means for every 15 hours I mine, I get 4 more meteorite ore than the next guy. So if we both mined for 500 hours, I get a 133 ore advantage over him.

Now, you may say thats not so bad...But lets remember how much time I spent getting my meteorite mining to a level where you can actually get that much meteorite. If I had instead spent that time mining all meteorite with a 100% mitrill miner in the new system, instead of trying to put it on a fresh miner and get percents, I would now have /FAR/ more meteorite than I currently have.

It would take me probably about a real life YEAR of mining to negate the losses from putting my time into meteorite mining, caused by the new system.

And Isabelle, you can in no way compare pre-epic levelling to mining. Sorry, but thats just stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:05 pm 

weems wrote:
Again, the old mines were extremely popular. I don't know why you and Isabelle will not concede this FACT. I will say this yet again:

You can look back and see threads about how the old mines were getting crowded due to popularity.

Just wanted to say a couple of things here...caps and enlarging the type does not in anyway help persuade someone of the logic to your way of thinking...just FYI.

I never said mining wasn't popular...but in new comers, more often then not, within a weeks time a good deal of them were no longer doing it...but there always seemed to be plenty of people signing on and trying it. I can't speak about Isabelle, but I am speaking of retention and attraction, I think she is speaking of attraction to crafting in general...and the problems of over crowding have been virtually removed unless a bunch of people happen to like the same general area.

If your telling me, that as a 100% adamantite miner, you can mine a obvious chunk wall of adamantite and only get 9 ore of adamantite then the problem isn't how much others are getting, but how much your getting. obvious chunks of one resource should be the same as any other, otherwise it shouldn't leave the degree of minute.

To me, the way the mining seems to be written you, (as 100% adamantite) should be getting 50 times what I got based on the same wall type. In your earlier post you said 100% Adamantite and now you keep saying Mitrill...which is it? If it is 100% Mitrill then by the current system you really shouldn't get much more then me in an ore your not a master of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:41 pm 
Tri-Avatar

grykon wrote:
weems wrote:

Just wanted to say a couple of things here...caps and enlarging the type does not in anyway help persuade someone of the logic to your way of thinking...just FYI.

I never said mining wasn't popular...but in new comers, more often then not, within a weeks time a good deal of them were no longer doing it...but there always seemed to be plenty of people signing on and trying it. I can't speak about Isabelle, but I am speaking of retention and attraction, I think she is speaking of attraction to crafting in general...and the problems of over crowding have been virtually removed unless a bunch of people happen to like the same general area.

If your telling me, that as a 100% adamantite miner, you can mine a obvious chunk wall of adamantite and only get 9 ore of adamantite then the problem isn't how much others are getting, but how much your getting. obvious chunks of one resource should be the same as any other, otherwise it shouldn't leave the degree of minute.

To me, the way the mining seems to be written you, (as 100% adamantite) should be getting 50 times what I got based on the same wall type. In your earlier post you said 100% Adamantite and now you keep saying Mitrill...which is it? If it is 100% Mitrill then by the current system you really shouldn't get much more then me in an ore your not a master of.

For the last time, the popularity of the mines was steadily increasing. Yes, some people left, but over time, more and more people were mining, not less. More and more people.

More. And. More. People. As in, the quantity of people mining at a later date was greater than (>) the quantity of people mining at an earlier date. I don't see how I can be any more clear.

And I personally never had any problems with crowding, I was just saying that people complaining about crowding was a good indicator that mining was not an unpopular thing even in the old system. MANY people did it, and more people were learning it all the time, and retaining it.

And yes, the problem IS how much other people are getting. A full adamantite reforge takes only 156 ingots, so even as a master adamantite miner, I do not need to get thousands upon thousands of ingots very quickly for it to be profitable for me. Relatative to only myself, I'm perfectly happy with the rate of adamantite I am digging. But relative to other people, I am not. Considering the low quantity required to make a full reforge, I feel that anybody who isn't adept or near adept in a higher class resource should get virtually none at all.

And...I do not understand your last paragraph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:18 am 
Dual-Avatar

The current mining system is completely out of whack. The problem is not how much the adept miners are getting...no one should be getting large amounts of adamantite and better. If you want usable amounts of high ores and gems, you should need to practice it a lot. If you're not focused in adamantite, you should not be mining adamantite. Hell, if you're not focused in mitrill, you should not be mining mitrill. Mitrill is easy enough to find that you can adept it relatively easily.

I was never a big miner, but I managed to mine or trade for all the materials I needed for my equipment. No one NEEDS anything better than mitrill to be successful. People rarely even NEED mitrill, but it should be available, which it always was. I remember when I was forced to pay a few hundred thousand gold for the mitrill I wanted to reforge one weapon. I also remember later when I started mining mitrill when I was able to reforge whatever I wanted. At the time, I had thought the price of mitrill was outrageous, but really...it wasn't. And no, I do not just feel this way because I sold mitrill...I never sold my resources other than bronze.

100% mitrill miners should get, if their lucky, one adamantite ore off of a wall. A 50% adamantite miner should get a couple pieces. A 100% adamantite miner should get decent amounts, but still no more than they currently get.

Like Weems said, the old mines were popular enough and becoming even more popular. Not everyone was staying, but enough were to have competition in selling mitrill and even adamantite to a small degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:31 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

the old mines were elitist.

you and i know that steady work would yield the resources, but resources were not readily available for a new player. They found out that it involved alot of time, and suddenly mining became real old, real fast.

Thats how it was, perhaps some players think that the mines were becoming used more often, that may be so, there /were more/ miners in the mines, BUT, they were not new players, they were current miners who were simply making more miner alts. (and there was the whole (certain someone) who had like 4+ mining accounts and eventually got caught) :P

New players were barely mining, except for a very small number.

the rest would simply get tired and end up buying the resources from a hardcore miner.

If you wish to say i'm wrong, go ahead, but i know what i say to be correct. So we will just have to keep our contrary positions on this issue.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next