Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: continuing izzy's note to cele
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:36 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

I thought that was a very controversial idea. very radical but just may work. Perhaps we can discuss more about it here.

Removing damage rol enchanting entirely might work. What about damage reduction? will players still be able to buy DR?

I like the idea that damage is and should be based on the weapon damage. Maybe we can add in a strength factor. What about diablo II damage system? I find their system very good.

--------------------------------------

here's my new proposal

We make it like Diablo II. In addition, we remove the stat cap completely. The only twist that we add is that we do not make the cost of extra stat linear. We should make it exponential.

cost
17 x
10 x
6 x
3 x
1 x
STR: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

This will create a gradient of damages among players. We still have our diversity but at the same time the cost system greatly discourage people to go too far beyond the imaginary cap. Sort of like the epicpoint system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:16 am 
Dual-Avatar

All that does is make getting damage roll harder, and force you to enchant a minimum amount of attack roll per damage roll(though you can still enchant more attack than that).

Alternately, we could stop taking away important abilities from players, and instead give them something new to balance the game, or improve something existing. Taking things away, in most cases, doesn't improve the game, it worsens it.

Note that I said "in most cases". If you add something to the game that's stupidly overpowered, by all means remove/fix it. However, removing/restricting things that are beneficial and/or important parts of the game will not fix anything and will only cause harm. Enchanting damage roll is important, it's benefical to the player, and it doesn't hurt anything, except MAYBE to make balancing mobs a bit harder(and anything that makes the game more complex makes balancing harder, but isn't the whole point of adding new features and updating the game to make it more complex and fun?).

Basically, what I'm saying is: don't try to fix problems by taking things away from us. Improve on what's already there or add something new; don't detract from gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:12 pm 
Tri-Avatar

I think weapon damage should be perfectly acceptable by itself. It stops this absurd damage roll crap from unbalancing areas, which is not just 'a bit harder' to do, its near impossible even in theory. Think about it. It also unnecessarily widens the gap between rich players and poor players, which is far larger than it should be in DL.

You go from your average player with 50 or 60 AR and 200 damage roll, to the power player who has 70 AR and 600+ damage roll. How would YOU design an area for both to be able to level in and have a challenge? It's impossible. Damage roll is by far too powerfull. It allows you to kill things FAR FAR FAR more powerfull than you would normally be capable of. All by itself. Yes, I think you should be able to kill things above your level, especially where epic levels are concerned...But damage roll is just over the top.

*SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM* To the mobile 400 levels higher than me, because of my damage roll.

It DOES however, have numerous benefits to selfish power players. I will go into detail now:

1. It widens the gap between the power player and the stupid newbie *SPLAT*

2. It makes areas easier (including epics), since the builders always have to take the lowest 'average' players into account.

Those two things are huge. It means if you are rich, bam. All areas are now easy, and newbies can't even come close to touching you (not saying that they SHOULD be able to touch you, but perhaps the gap is a bit wider than it should be.)

Damage roll is one of the roots of all evil in this game. I will detail other roots in other threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:54 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i'm only going to address lingolas' note, because everyone already has heard my case, and i would only be repeating it... :)

I think right now you can only buy damreduction with epicpoints right?

I don't see it as necessarily needing to be removed, as epic players can still upgrade their weapon material values easier than newbies.

But, perhaps it could be looked at, and if it wouldnt allow a player to be immune to damage, then either leave it be, or just tweak it to be fair.

But if damreduction was going to imbalance things due to the removal of adding damroll, then sure, by all means, removing it would be fair i think.

(then we could just focus on resistances, armor, attackroll and such, rather than damreduction and damroll)

Possibly, rather than allowing damreduction to be attained by epicpoints, /only/ allow it to be attained by having a material of a certain value and level (as it is) - that sounds much more balanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:27 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Weems, more powerful players are SUPPOSED to be more powerful. You try to make it sound like one player working harder to get a higher level/better eq than other players makes him a filthy cheater or something.

If you can't enchant damage roll, you have to use the enchant space on something else, which means it will be massive attack roll and armor class, so you're STILL going to own weaker players/mobs, you just have less options for how to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:38 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

incorrect, thats not how the enchanting will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:56 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Nuitari wrote:
Weems, more powerful players are SUPPOSED to be more powerful. You try to make it sound like one player working harder to get a higher level/better eq than other players makes him a filthy cheater or something.

If you can't enchant damage roll, you have to use the enchant space on something else, which means it will be massive attack roll and armor class, so you're STILL going to own weaker players/mobs, you just have less options for how to do it.

Point me to where I said more powerfull players shouldn't be more powerfull.