Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: for celeborn regarding future enchanting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:21 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Just had a thought here

is it possible to /not/ allow enchanting of damroll in the future, and possibly remove it entirely from the game?

reason being, you already have damreduction in game.

with only damreduction, i have a pretty good idea of what type of damage a melee person at level X would be doing, using conventional weapons/materials.
By using damreduction, i can effectively boost damreduction to a point, where they become impossible for any low level player to touch, BUT at the same time, become just normal to moderate difficulty for a player using a weapon at a level similar to the opponent.

example: level 20 bronze sword doing 40-96 normal damage
level 30 bronze sword doing 45-112 normal damage

so i set a level 30 creatures damreduction at 80-90 damreduction
presto, only a level 30 would effectively be able to kill it, or a large scale group of level 20's ;)

it's not perfect.. but if we removed the ability to add damroll, we could possibly tweak out weapon damages a bit, and end up with the idea i'm trying to explain :)

Those players who spend their time/cash on better materials would be able to fight higher level creatures more effectively.

And you could simply code it across the boards for X levelled creatures to have X damreduction.

Last edited by Isabelle on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:24 am 
Tri-Avatar

I wouldn't have a problem with this. Keep in mind all the mobs would have to be tweaked tons. All of epics assumes you have a certain level of damage roll.

In fact, this might make things /easier/ for fighters in the long run, because after the mobs are tweaked, they no longer have to dump tens of thousands of enchant space into damage roll just to be on par, furthering the gap between them and mages.

~Ocardus/Ridley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:29 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

sounds good to me, and something i didn't mention, was that the 'critical hit' modifier was not being taken into account, so while a level 20 player was whacking the level 30 for like 5 damage, 5 damage, 5 damage

they could still critical, and hit for like 20 damage or something like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:53 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I don't think you should, removing the ability to enchant damage just brings us one step closer to being carbon copies of everyone else of the same level(ever played Runescape? keep DL as far from it as you can). I don't think we should sacrifice diversity or character customization like that, even if it would make balancing easier.

I think it would be better to give mobs some defense other than just pure hp/damage reduction. Take a mob of a given level. Give it some armor class, attack roll, damage reduction, and resistance to a limited number of damage types. Make players get sufficient attack roll, armor class, and the proper types of weapons(whatever the mob has low resist to) to be able to kill a mob, their damage roll just determines how quickly they can do it.

While what you suggest would be pretty good for player versus monster, I think we should do everything we can to keep the game as diverse as possible for pvp, and keep DL as far from Runescape-levels of crappiness as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:45 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

removing damroll will not make players carbon copies of each other, you have another 50 enchants to chose from.

armor, already maxed out in many mobiles, if i bring it any higher, they become pretty much immune to being hit.

hitpoints, already way higher than i prefer

in reality, everything you have mentioned, has been tried, just ask the players, i've added /subtracted /modified mobiles more times than they can mention, and its never enough.

i don't want to make the mobs insanely powerful for every player.

What i want, is for players to be able to go where they want, but not be able to attack things which common sense deems to be outside of their level range.
I want a level 20 player fighting a level 20 to 23 monster. Maybe even a level 25 creature, with much difficulty.

I don't want them taking out a level 40 creature without breaking a sweat.

If i can get what i want, i have no problem with players visiting any area they wish to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:59 pm 
Dual-Avatar

as long as there are enough things to kill and that they give at least 100 exp so its actually worth it. Or that repops happen quickly in some areas where there aren't enough mobs.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:33 am 
Dual-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:

removing damroll will not make players carbon copies of each other, you have another 50 enchants to chose from.

I didn't say it would, I said it would take us closer to that.

Enchanting damage roll is fine. It's an important part of character customization, and adds more variety to pvp. You shouldn't take such an important ability away from players just because you aren't happy with the rate at which they kill monsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:02 am 
Dual-Avatar

If you were to do a large amount of tweaking, this might be effective... In particular, this will make casters even more powerful in comparison to meleers when fighting epic mobs or supermobs.
A decent caster will likely still be able to take out mobs several levels higher, and they will be even stronger if damroll becomes unenchantable. I would like to see a meleer without damroll have a fight with supermobs or epic mobs. As I see it, this will make meleers even closer copies to each other, as the idea of hit hard or don't get hit goes good bye with the loss of enchanted damroll.

Currently, which things are enchanted by most meleers? The main stats that come to mind are:
Damroll, mobility, attackroll, resists, the basic stats, and a little hp.

If we remove the ability to enchant damroll, you will no longer be that worried about getting hit by a player. You will most likely focus solely on
enchanting hp, as mobs have extremely low mobility for the most part, and even those who have higher mobility stop being a problem once you invest a decent amount of attackroll. Also, after you can hit everything, you cannot choose whether you want to get hit less or if you want to hit harder because...well, you can't hit harder.
Once you get decent HP and a decent heal spell, you will be invulnerable to player melee attacks.
You will already recieve basically no damage due to resists and damred, being able to absorb smaller amounts of damage will be no trouble unless you're sitting AFK for large amounts of time. The fact that most people can heal decently is just icing on the cake. Consider how much the average player hit does now through resists and damred. Consider how much the average player hit will do when its lowered by 500+.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:10 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

you're forgetting about the upcoming patches / changes to enchanting

but thats fine, i posted my idea, thats all i wanted to do

the arbitrary contradiction of any idea is something i expect.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]