Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Judgements - expanding JC options
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:16 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

I propose expanding the options for the different crimes commited by criminals:

Resisting arrest while JC officer is trying to jail such as fleeing or fighting back: additional 10 hours
Resisting arrest by hiding: 10 hours
Bribing a JC officer: additional 5 hours
non-compliant when questioned: 5 hours

Some say that JC's are 'biased' when they have to deal with additional problems from criminals. For example, a judgement that should have been made a justified murder, was in turn - made unjustfied. I say to fix that...let's make a criminal think twice before commiting such additional acts. I for one, if you give me hell when trying to do my job - I think additional time should be added. That seems to be a problem for most players on this game and although I can understand to some extent of which these players are saying about JC's being biased about their judgement, neither do they waste 15-30 minutes trying to question the scene and jail someone. THEN you have make the reports.

Hey, I am happy about what I do, but there seem to be accusations among players that JC's are being biased because they get so mad at the criminal who is giving hell, that their judgement changes.

So let's change that =)

Last edited by Shira on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:22 am 
Tri-Avatar

I disagree...ESPECIALLY seeing how extra time is sometimes needed to get a pardon from the person. I can think of numerous examples when I, or other people, were jailed before they got a chance to get a pardon, and could have EASILY gotten one sooner. Or if the person who reported you changed their mind....

Etc etc...

Less red tape, not more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:29 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

I have rarely seen a player who deserved to be let out - not be let out. As JC, I have seen people stay in jail for several hours and didn't deserve to be in there, and have to wait until they get out. Hey, it happens =) And that's also why JC's asked for the pardoning option - but as that went out the door, then people should just try to prevent getting themselves into tricky situations.

I also disagree with the fact that just because they should have been pardoned, they should be let of completely if they have commited such other crimes as hiding, resisting arrest. They are two different crimes weems *winks*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:35 am 
Tri-Avatar

Hiding is a bad enough penalty in of itself. Lets go over the pros and cons of hiding, shall we?

Pros to hiding:
1.You don't get jailed.

2.You get extra time to negotiate a pardon with the person who reported you.

3.If you get jailed without being pardoned first, and later get pardoned, you spend an /inevitable/ few hours in jail, just so somebody on the JC can have a power trip.

Cons to hiding:
It's almost the same as being in Jail. You can't level. You can't mine. You can't do anything outside of your citadel.

If you get jailed afterwards, you get out of jail /LATER/ considering that the time you spent hiding, you could have already been in jail, serving your time, therefore getting out sooner.

In closing, we can conclude that the ONLY logical reason to hide is to work on getting a pardon, especially considering sometimes it takes a bit of negotiation to get one. And therefore, I definetly dont think there should be extra time, and DEFINETLY not time for merely avoiding arrest and getting a pardon before they could arrest you...

Last edited by weems on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:35 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

weems wrote:
Less red tape, not more.

Actually, since we have to report all actions of the criminal ANYWAY, and I personally don't feel that the options added are in anyway more difficult - No, I disagree. It actually is a good idea =) I know what I have to type to judge someone - it's very simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:44 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

weems wrote:
3.If you get jailed without being pardoned first, and later get pardoned, you spend an /inevitable/ few hours in jail, just so somebody on the JC can have a power trip.

You are saying that all JC's abuse the system and should spend minutes perhaps hours until pardoning takes place, otherwise - they are seeking a power trip. You are also accusing JC's of being biased because they are simply doing their job - that is, duh...if you have a criminal flag, you are going to be arrested.

So what we can conclude from this JC's - wait until the criminal is pardoned. Hey, sounds good, then why have JC's?O.o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:49 am 
Tri-Avatar

Nah. If everybody were to wait it out, they would just spend an eternity in their cit (the same as jail), and nobody would be able to play...

Note the word 'PLAY'. This game is for fun. I'm simply not willing to spend hours in jail when I could have waitied 10 extra minutes in my cit to get a pardon. Sorry.

Think of it as how villians used to hide in churches to avoid arrest. They couldnt arrest you in church without being violent...And violence in church was a big no-no...

This is a fantasy/medievil mud, isn't it? If somebody wants to hide in church, let them rot there. They can't leave. It's not any different from jail, besides the fact that they can use channels...But thats a trade off from the fact that they are stuck inside the citadel /FOREVER/, but the person who went to jail gets out after a 2 days at most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:52 am 
Dual-Avatar

1. I only tried to bribe you because 'help justice' implies that JGs are expected to take bribes:
Code:
However, they have some freedom in deciding how long someone
should sit in jail, be it for a moment or forever, until they pay
a fine or bribe themselves out of jail.

2. Extra time for killing a JG would be fun, but I say if you can avoid arrest after killing X JGs, the Council should just give up. :P If I kill 4 JGs, I'll get 20 extra hours, but if I kill 5 then they're gonna give up. :) Of course, this is just because I feel I can kill most of the JC, and those that can't probably won't like this idea, but hey...those who are powerful should get special treatment. ;)

EDIT: I like the idea of sanctuaries in Alora. Would add some RP element into the justice system like 'help justice' says there should be:
Code:
These councils are meant as RP councils

I'd also like to volunteer to lead a justice council when more are made. I'll be a great RP corrupted council member. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:57 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

code: However, they have some freedom in deciding how long someone
should sit in jail, be it for a moment or forever, until they pay
a fine or bribe themselves out of jail.

Guys, you just put the icing on the cake >> Sorry, but I will take a piece of that if you don't mind.

So basically, even if it's supposed to be a justified murder - I can make it unjustified.

O.O Whoa............................

Well then, caretakers, forget this post...if you make me mad enough, you'll get unjustfied =) Biased or not. woot!

EDIT: So basically, if you resist arrest at any time, are non-compliant during questioning, I shall make my judgement. Caretakers, please correct me if I am wrong, but the code DOES state that I have the write to judge - although I will make sure my judgement IS reasonable. I don't think JC's should have be truley biased in their judgements as long as they remain reasonable.

Last edited by Shira on Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:03 am 
Tri-Avatar

Well, you COULD...But the problem is, the system doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I would then go to caretakers and complain until they removed you from JC (I can actually think of an example where this happened) and that would be that.

The point Quintos is making is, the JC needs to take a stance, and stick with it.

If it's roleplay, then yes...No more running to imms, no more getting outcasted from JC for giving the wrong sentence...But then as a counter, if it was roleplay, I could kill you for trying to jail me, and get away with it. =). Also, the whole sanctuary/hiding thing would be in as well....

If it ISN'T roleplay, then the JC's need their powers expanded. For Shira's expansions to work, the JC would /ALSO/ need the ability to pardon. Without the ability to pardon people out of jail, I will never agree to such a system. As long as there is a downside to being jailed, even if it's for something you have already been pardoned for, it's stupid.

It's one or the other folks, no middle ground.

Or we could just leave it the way it is.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:21 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

Just so you know, that help file isn't the newest thing out there, it's pretty much been around since the start of the JC. Since that helpfile has been made _a lot_ of things have changed both in and outside of the JC, however you're still able to judge them whatever you want to judge them as. From my experiance the pardoning problem is not as big as it's made out to be, everytime i've seen someone get pardoned while in jail they have been released well before there sentence would have lasted. Also not being able to pardon someone in jail keeps people away from doing things like jailing a friend to "scare" them and then getting them out. Basically, we're allowed to jail people as to what we think is fair, and as long as it is within a certain range of reasonability no other JC can really change it (Imms can always change player sentences but 95% of the time they stick with player sentences).

EDIT: And btw, one of the main reasons (i beleive) that caretakers are reluctant to give JC the ability to pardon is that often times people are punished too easily and sometimes abuses can occur. Back in the beginning it was hard to get people to write notes about when they pardoned people, let alone why they did.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:45 am 
Tri-Avatar

So as long as the person gets out faster than the sentence would have lasted, it's fine?

:P

Sorry, but no thanks. If I think I need an extra 10 mins in my cit to get pardoned, I'd do that ANY DAY over going into jail for a few hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:05 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

You know, if it takes just 10 mins half the time for someone to finally pardon, then I would say so be it - I agree. And actually, there have been cases like that. But when I can mention a couple players who has spent hours even days hiding out, then that's a problem.

As JC, i always asked the one who reported the person if they truley are happy with their results..and if the person doesn't want to pardon them...then there's a bounty on your head >=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:14 am 
Lowbie

You do realize the easiest way to fix this pardon problem right. It may shock you, but if you don't do any crimes you won't go to jail :P, and you won't need a pardon to stay out. I too make sure that the reporter is happy with the criminal going to jail, and almost all the time people who are reported, stay reported. If you allow yourself the oppurtunity to be jailed, you should be prepared for serving your entire sentence, with a pardon or not. People should be happy we're as nice as we are anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:02 am 
Tri-Avatar

Don't give me that crap Duna. I once got a criminal tag for killing hya who was following me (AND ONLY ME) around. It was a bug...

And not even counting bugs, ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:22 am 
Lowbie

It wasn't me who jailed you weems, accidents happen and for that there are imms, and JC who are responsible enough to ask both parties about it when they happen. Just because you had one bad experiance with a JC member doesn't mean we're all bad. I have put people in with very little sentences for accidents, and i do not hold it against him, and I've also spent hours of my time trying to help people with their accidents or bugs. If the JC is doing their job you shouldn't be put in for TOO long, and even if you are put in a caretaker would come and clean things up.

EDIT: And by hours of my time i mean hours of my time, i have literally sat in a cell with people during their entire sentence to try and cheer them up if they've been jailed unjustly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:00 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I for one have seen and experienced the times when the JC could pardon freely. I can attest to someone being pardoned more or less instantly for cold murder, when the victim wanted them jailed. One JC jailed the criminal, and while interviewing the victim another JC pardoned the criminal.

Since then there have been many changes in the JC. Members have come and gone. Rules have changed, and standards shifted. Commands have changed too. However, my experiences in the past will cause me to always dislike the JC as it currently exists.

JC should be completely desolved and kingdoms come into being. Kings/queens would be the leaders of the 'JC' of each kingdom, and he/she would decide the exact effectiveness of the law in their land. If you don't like one kingdom, stay in another.

Currently we have one JC, if we don't like it (or those in it) we have no options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:12 am 
Dual-Avatar

Quintos Aelon-Fel'smar for king of Highmoon and leader of the Highmoonian Justice Council: He might be corrupt, but you know what you're getting!

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the all-powerful conjurer, Quintos Aelon-Fel'smar, in cooperation with the Fraktorians for Expansion Organization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:20 pm 

I still say we should be able to break into the jail, and rescue people in the jail... It'd add more to the game I think, and if the mobs were good enough, it could be challenging too.

Punishements that are severe enough should get the person banned/marked/whatever, not jailed for time that they have to spend and waste.