Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New channel idea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:04 pm 

Today there was a heated argument over drugs on OOC. i was thinking why not make a debate channel so if ppl wanted to debate topics they could, with out thew rest of alora hearing it.
Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:20 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

Seems like a good idea, as long as its not too hard to make a new channel. Seems like some people like to just argue with people so a new debate channel might be good. I always think it's funny when someone gets sick of people arguing (not only on ooc but avtalk too), and is told "If you don't like it go chan -all." It can be very annoying when you try and get people to stop arguing and are just told to turn off all your channels. Maybe if they had their own channel to argue about all they wanted then that'd fix it, but most likely they'd still argue on ooc :(. It's a good idea but i dunno if it'd be able to be implemented.

EDIT: That and just think about how much they're going to argue about this :P.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Or, you could save Celeborn the trouble of adding something useless...And type:

help ignore

You get 32 ignore slots now. Use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:44 pm 

the only problem with ignore is if the person says something important, which can happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:06 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

or, what if celeborn codes it so that people can make their own channels
plus the normal default ones

your channel settings would be stored in your profile, and you could leave them or join them at your will.

ooc, gemote, avatar chan, newbie chan, guild talk chan, jailtalk, war

all of them are used for whatever someone wants to talk about anyways, so a new chan for debate, is already there - under any of the mentioned channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:11 pm 

good point, but it gets annoying when ppl that are arguing use a commonly used public channel to argue over and tell you to turn off that channel if you don't want to hear them, but what happens when there is something important happening when they're arguing, this way they can go to an unused channel or there own channel like you said issy

Post subject: to address the problem:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:34 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

the only (and i do mean only) way to solve that problem, is by ignoring the player who is arguing / being annoying.

if you are in the debate channel, and 5 people are debating stuff, and then someone pops in and gets annoying, they wont leave.

If you are in the avatar channel, and someone decides they dont want to use the debate channel to argue about something, they arent going to stop, just because someone tells them to :)

More channels does not equal peace of mind :)

Perhaps an ignore upgrade would be what we should be asking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:13 am 
Retired Caretaker
 WWW  Profile

I'm not sure if this is exactly what Isab was thinking, but you could have "chat rooms", where you could create your own, and people could join them or leave them at will. You could have them open to others or closed. You could make them invite only. There are tons of possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:28 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

pretty much, first person in to the channel becomes moderator, if moderator logs off, next person in line becomes moderator, if everyone except one person leaves the channel, then that person is the moderator.

you would have 1.) general chat 2.) trade (things like auctions and such go here) 3.) players guild channel 4.) insert any channel of your desire here

would need some command to view available channels

if the last person in a channel leaves, then the channel disappears

this would replace all channels, guild, avatar, epictalk, chat, gemote, etc.

the first 2 channels would be moderated by admin only

add some option to make another person moderator?

So, you could logon, do a join 'haraxs new chan' and now you have a new channel made, and you are the moderator, when you leave, its gone.

guild channels would function differently, as they would only be viewable by guild members, so, maybe they wouldnt change really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:12 am 

we woud need to test that to see if it would be ppl friendly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:49 am 
Dual-Avatar

I'm not sure how Isabelle feels about this point, but I say keep newbiechat, OOC, AvTalk, and EpicTalk. We could have them function how they currently do and just rework the 'chat' to send to whatever channel we 'join.'

EDIT: Having moderators on the public channels (Imms and maybe JC) would be a good idea to keep order. I am questionable about having JC use it as they might be more opinionated about the chat than the imms should be. Perhaps have them allowed to squelch people from the channels for a shorter time than imms are allowed to, and have the messages before the squelch be logged where all immortals can access them to judge the decision.

Last edited by Quintos on Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:50 am 

that sounds like a good idea

Post subject: dynamic channels
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:19 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

ooc, and newbietalk, avatar chan, and epictalk would all be changed into 1) general chat

from there, players who have been playing for awhile would simply move into their own channels

newbies would still use 1) general talk, because it would be all they knew

the idea here, is that the 'current channels' not exist, but that the players could make them instead

- someone would probably make their own 'avatar chan' - so right off, avatar chan is still there, but it would be moderated by whoever made it,

example: if someone says you know what? - the moderator of this chan sucks, im gunna make one called 5) 'new avatar channel' everyone move over to 5, and we can get rid of this fool moderator :)

But yeah, getting rid of nearly all the channels, replacing them with dynamic channels is mostly where i was going with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:20 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Actually, i think the original idea was a better one..a debate or gossip channel for stupid out of control arguements. Personally I wouldn't mind shutting such a channel off, but I don't like to miss ooc or avatar. I've seen numerous muds where a channel such as this has worked great, the problem would be getting peopel used to using it. once it is established it will become second nature. The whole 'chatroom' idea just seems liek a bit too much, IMHO. The channels are pretty good on DL as they are.

An alternate idea would be an 'adult' channel where peopel could discuss more offensive topics. Default position is off, and turning it on would have a confirmation that you are 18+ yaddayadda whatever it takes to cover the muds own behind. that way if people want to talk about drugs or sex or whatever they wont be offending the rest of the mud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:27 pm 

that sounds awsome and smart. imho, the chat room thing could get hard, annoying, and user unfriendly, also it wuld probably be hard to make it so you could have 2 or 3 chats at the same time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:30 am 
How about this? You get a certain amount of ooc's per time limit, then you cannot ooc more. For example, say 5 per minute, then if you were running your mouth and said 5 things in 30 secs, you would have to wait another 30 seconds to get your next ooc. So on and so forth. Basically, a flood control for ooc. This could be combined with custom chat rooms or another less public channel, where you could take your argument and blab all you want.

Another possibility is like what Medievia had (has?) where you can type some command and you will be taken to a separate peaceful area with multiple rooms and you can just go and argue with whoever you want in your private room. Then, when you are done arguing, you type your command in again and it drops you back where you were. No healing or regen, or loss of damage would occur in the special area, and you couldn't warp out of a fight. This system worked pretty good on Medievia for meeting with other players when you didn't want to go to a map location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:14 pm 

Good idea, but a bad one at the same time, Mori. Many people, myself included only generally ooc like a sentance at a time... It's become second nature, from typing things like sentances (syntaxes) in the mud, and asking us to change after many years of being this way is kind of ridiculious, don't you think?