Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Next Patch and change in Crafts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:43 pm 

Just an idea that got me thinking: A few days ago we would mine and destroy stuff without any %, and that annoyed quite a few people, and so they changed it so that even if you destroyed stuff, you got a %.

I think it would be better in salvaging to make it so that its the same thing. when you salvage at 0.00% it always tells you 'you fail to salvage anything from the corpse' and does not give you experience. How are we supposed to learn this harvesting craft if we can not ge a % at 0%?

Hardly anyone walks around with bone/leather equipment, as it is too hard to get and really not worth the hassle when we have great wooden and metal equipment. With the new changes to mining and availability of resources I think the other crafts are starting to fall behind, and become worthless.

Please let me know what u guys are thinking :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:24 pm 

they are, i agree with you 100%. It's been my opinion on te salvageing craft from the get-go.

Bone equipment, It would have decent strength, not as much as metal, but more than wood... And it would be more flexable...

And i still think there should be a socket craft, and when making items they dont get made with the gem in them. You should be able to add sockets to items after their creation, and then insert said gem (instead of runes) into said socket.

That would give you the option of maybe even getting better enchantment on items such as bone equipment, leather equipment, or the such, and allow for more customization.

Post subject: new stuff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:50 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i have to agree some of us is falling behind. So what is the drawback for the new coding and what is the benfits. (question) Why is it that the new patch testing became perma? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:03 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

rant

the age old phrase "why don't we learn from things when we fail them"
using the assumption that you 'always' learn from your mistakes
people don't always learn from their mistakes

more accurately i think people are saying, why must it take me more than a week to adept a craft, i want to be adept in 1 hour

salvaging in my opinion, is spot on, it takes a perfect amount of time to become adept in it.

It's beyond my understanding why people insist on making statements that basically say they want to end the challenge to the game. There is no point to playing when you are epic 100000 and have 100 percent in all crafts/skills/abilities.. the game becomes real stale, real fast.

This isnt directed at any one person, it's just to address many statements over the past months. --(lets have 100 in every craft, lets arbitrarily make sockets on all our gear (and probably as many as we want), lets get to 100 in all crafts in a single session..

/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:10 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

zidane, celeborn has been busy with other things, (real life) and large changes, (big future patches) he has not yet been able to make everyone happy with the mining tweaks.

the code you speak of, was having the /entire/ world map mineable, this in my opinion is a "good thing" (c) (tm) (r)
yes, it didnt make the oldschool players happy, Celeborn is aware of that, and will be happy to add some changes the first moment he has :)

Sometimes, other ideas pop up, and when you are "inspired" to create, sometimes the old fixes, like mining, get pushed back slightly, so that you can have fun with some new ideas.

Patch testing is not 'here's a new idea, if you dont like it, i will remove it'
patch testing is "here's an awesome idea, test it out to make sure it works according to plan, and we will go from there"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think Cyradis was just asking for a balance between salvaging and how other things are adepted.

Furthermore, in RL to master something, it takes time as we all know. No craft is easy and some are going to remain harder than others.

Which leads me to say, ever gone hunting? Salvaging is nothing compared to whittling; yet whittling remains one of the easiest crafts to adept. Whittling is VERY difficult. :shock: You mess up, there's no turning back. There's no such thing as melting it and redoing it like your forge crafts. Jewellery crafts stands where it should be. It remains the hardest craft to adept - however, the process of cutting gems takes years of training. And again, you mess up - there's no turning back. So there could be a level of difficulty added there as well to make the game more challengable.

If anything, there should be an evaluation of the current crafting system - crafts aren't balanced as they should be in terms of level of difficulty. Salvaging should be on the bottom - one of the easiest. :P And no, I didn't kill Bambi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:45 pm 

i agree 100% with ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:17 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i agree, keep salvaging as it is, and use it as the template for everything else.
It being the easiest, and everything else being harder, according to popular vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:37 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Isabelle wrote:
i agree, keep salvaging as it is, and use it as the template for everything else.
It being the easiest, and everything else being harder, according to popular vote.
can we at least have a fail % on salvaging. This message would show half the process percent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

Isabelle wrote:

Ouch....I expected that. Naughty Isa :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:40 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I don't think they were saying "why can't we master crafts in 1 hour" so much as saying that, there should be some kind of code that allows you to learn from your mistakes. I mean think about it, when you were little, if you touched something hot and got burned you learned something then. But then you learned later how to better test for the heat of an object, but you didn't gain anything from touching the thing that was hot again. Maybe a one time "Oops you did something dumb" percentage would be good right at the beginning of a craft.

---Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:47 am 

Could we get 0.01% from a failed salvage attempt? 100 failed attempts to get 1% of salvage, 1000 failed attempts to get 10%... Maybe?