Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: death and resurrection
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:09 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

proposed change:

being dead does not mean your actual corpse is left where you died, instead, it drops something which resembles your corpse, all your possessions are still on you when in ghost form, you just cannot use them, interact with others, speak, etc.

This means, if the mud crashes, there is never corpse loss, there is never corpse duplication, because your corpse has never dropped, you are either ghost form, or you are alive. (1 = alive or 0=ghost)

Upon death you are placed in a state of nothingness - not a ghost, not alive. (call it being in spirit form)

It is here that you decide what to do.
1)wait 5 minutes for teammate to resurrect you (timer)
2)depart to healer and become alive
3)ask for world range resurrect
4)release your spirit, returning to your areas healer, or your place you sethomed at, which involves you walking back to where you died, an inconvenience, nothing more.

four ways to resurrect:
1) depart - you are returned to place you have sethomed at, or you are returned to areas healer. Current penalties such as experience loss remain, plus you also get afflicted with a non-dispelable 10 minute sickness which lowers all your abilities, and all your equipment suffers 25% damage.

2) resurrect spell by group member in room with you - you are instantly resurrected as per current spell. Currect experience loss applies.

3) resurrect spell by world range - (possibly an entirely different prism)
player is resurrected from afar, suffers 10 percent damage to all equipment, plus 5 minute (non dispel) resurrection sickness + experience loss similar to #1.

4) you walk back to your corpse while in ghost form, and once you are within 3 squares of your corpse (possibly corpse is shown on mini map)
you may instantly resurrect without any ill effects. (And, no experience loss)

Edit: to include information about experience loss.
Edit2: to explain better what happens when death occurs

Last edited by Isabelle on Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:40 pm 
Dual-Avatar

You mention walking back to your corpse; where do you propose ghosts go when you are killed? Also, does this mean if you are soloing epics you would be forced to have sickness for some period of time, or would you be able to drop and sacrifice gold, or an item, in order to return to the dungeon?

EDIT: Also, if you can freeroam while dead, this could lead to some serious abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:46 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

As i mentioned in my post, you would either go to the place you have sethomed at, or you would go to the areas healer, currently i have area healers for nearly every area, but they could be added to epic dungeons as well.

As far as freeroam goes, what abuse? if you cant do anything while in ghost form, there can be no abuse.

As far as getting back into epic dungeons - thats covered in my first sentence.

Last edited by Isabelle on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:46 pm 
someone has been playing a lot of world of warcraft :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:47 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yes, i do have a tendency to borrow ideas i like :)

two things from wow i would like to see on d/l - the way people die, and the way pkilling works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:03 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

WoW is the great evil. Hence, any ideas that come from it must also be Evil. Evil is generally alligned closely with Chaos. Vogar serves Mitrill, deity of Order. As such, Vogar is honor bound as a Paladin to resist this idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:14 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

We are isabelle of sekhmet

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your dwarf culture will adapt to service ours. Resistance is futile.

Freedom is irrelevant, self-determination is irrelevant, you must comply.

Strength is irrelevant. Death is irrelevant. Your defensive capabilities are unable to withstand us.

Resistance is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:26 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I would assume that being in ghost form would mean that mobs won't attack you. This would mean that you could freely explore maze-like areas without interference, possibly being able to figure out the secrets of the maze (Seth's mazes anyone?). I also do not see why soloers should be penalized for not bringing along a cleric or paladin to resurrect, but that's only my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:35 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

soloers are not penalized, you can walk back to your corpse without any ill effect.

not even experience loss, but it would be an inconvenience.

most mazes in dark legacy rely on programs that move you around, if being in ghost form means you cant trigger those programs, no abuse is created.

bringing along a cleric would mean you are grouping, so you would get a 'bonus' for grouping

and 'not a bonus' when going solo

the trick would be coding something to allow a player to get back to their corpse, (where ever it may be) without making it too easy, and still keeping it feasible.

(small price to pay for no experience loss)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:39 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Not even losing exp would be very simple for when in epic dungeons. I'm assuming in ghost form you'd have passdoor (or at least be able to cast it on yourself) and that you wouldn't trigger traps by walking through doors (semi-abusable...it's not like traps are really much of a nuisance any more any way). How epic dungeons are, it's not too hard to see where you've been and where your corpse would be. You could likely get back to your corpse in under 30 seconds in basically any epic dungeon layout, even the special hell bovine layouts aren't that hard to figure out once you know how they are set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:52 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

How are you going to get into epic? You can't drop gold and sac gold in ghost form. If you can you can perform actions. Potentially you could sac other people's items while they can't see you.

How are you going to get to Dunly? In ghost form you can not cast spells. If you can cast spells, you can perform actions. Potentially a ghost cleric could follow someone and heal them while being immune to damage. Or cast offensive spells, for even worse abuse.

How many people know how to walk to an epic dungeon? My guess is extremely few people would have a clue. Most people rely on portals to Dunly or simply astral to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:15 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 WWW  Profile

I think that if people could wander around while in ghost form it would be abused, because they would have to be able to activate programs because you can't get everywhere just by walking. One possible way of curing this would be to have a time limit and how long you have to get back to your corpse. It could maybe be variable depending on how far you have to go.

Also, what about having a supplication form. Maybe it takes 2500 favor, but you are made alive and you don't get sick and maybe don't lose exp. It would be possible to have different levels. Maybe, level 1 = Sick (10 min) and exp loss, level 2 = Sick(5 min and exp loss, level 3 = just exp loss, level 4 = no loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:22 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i think, scrapping everything else i mentioned, but still keeping the 'real corpse doesnt drop' would be something i'd be happy with.

no more corpse loss
no more corpse duplication