Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Juices
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:22 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

Okay...those of us who made 250 juices are getting our juices either changed to '10 sip' juices, or having them removed from our inventory period. I have personally seen another player's juice turn from a 250 healing juice to a 10 sip Lesser Poison. O.o Not fair >.>

I understand that mobs have been made easier - and I enjoy the benefits of it. My concern is that red vials and magenta vials are rare enough as is and I have personally paid up to 7k per vial on auction, but then to combine it to a 10 sip juice? =( Not funny.

How about making juices 50 sips? Most of whom I am talked with have agreed that that is reasonable. >.> OR maybe red and magenta vials pop up more...say um...20 to 30%?? =D

>.> Okay....will go away now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:33 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

the juices are not disappearing, they are however getting their max size changed to how the 'new way' is.

10 sips is still good for now, if, at a later date, (when i am sure all the bugged 250 sip items are removed) we decide to boost them up, we will make the change, and from the point on, newly crafted items will have whatever perks they have.

we may put in 15-20 sip (it will never be larger than that) as a special craft skill or something, but for now, 10 sips is max.

i will happily work with you to make the game fair if you find any instances where things are just not set right, but 50 sips to 250 sips for a drink is too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:40 am 
 ICQ  Profile

Isabelle wrote:
the juices are not disappearing, they are however getting their max size changed to how the 'new way' is.

10 sips is still good for now, if, at a later date, (when i am sure all the bugged 250 sip items are removed) we decide to boost them up, we will make the change, and from the point on, newly crafted items will have whatever perks they have.

we may put in 15-20 sip (it will never be larger than that) as a special craft skill or something, but for now, 10 sips is max.

i will happily work with you to make the game fair if you find any instances where things are just not set right, but 50 sips to 250 sips for a drink is too much.

you know, getting my drinkcons changed to have firewater in them when they dont have anything other than water to begin with in them is rather messed up.. since the appetite counter apparently includes stuff im stuck with innately im back up to ravenous and i dont enjoy having to cast spring every 15 seconds. 10 sip containers only last a few minutes until they need refilled. if containers are going to go down i think that the food thing might need adjusted.

50 sip containers are better than 10. maybe make bigger containers that cant be enchanted with pearls or spells or however else you did it since its been so long and i forget?

edit1: i really dont care about them getting changed to firewater i just cared that after you changed them i couldnt fill them up anymore :wink:

edit2: and what about stuff like my black death drinkcon that i use for dipping my weapons in? youre going to nuke it because its bugged sure, but i dont think its cool that you should change something that used to be great into something that is now really crappy because 'there is no use for anything over 10 sips omg you can only dip your weapons a few times since you fail too much'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:04 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i have no problem with having 'larger drink containers' created, via some more complex and cool way.

as for your problems with firewater, thats not my doing. Consider it either an ingame bug, or an error on your part.

the commands i type in no way come close to affecting the objects 'liquidtype'

For now, i want it to be 10, we can discuss larger items later on, and we can discuss ways for them to be placed in game :)

It was my fault for having it at 250, it was an oversight that i had just forgot about at creation. Unfortunately i let it go on too long, and you guys got accustomed to it. MY fault on that, but i need to correct it regardless. I'll give you bonuses in some other fashion, just not juice size :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:05 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

a possible fix for your poison thing, would be having celeborn work on the poisons, making them stronger, and cooler, doing more crazy things, then the 10 dip max size would be fair.

(my thoughts on poisons - rare, used on higher level creatures that are giving you a hard time)
- not used for every fight

- if the poisons are ineffective, we can work on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:18 am 
 ICQ  Profile

Isabelle wrote:
a possible fix for your poison thing, would be having celeborn work on the poisons, making them stronger, and cooler, doing more crazy things, then the 10 dip max size would be fair.

(my thoughts on poisons - rare, used on higher level creatures that are giving you a hard time)
- not used for every fight

- if the poisons are ineffective, we can work on them

im not trying to just bash on you tonight or anything but my uber potion of black death 40k black pearl does 200 damage per jab and i can only jab 1 time per dip. yeah, poisons do need damaged. the ones in the rogue shop are too expensive and 1 dip for me to even look at them. but this is for another thread i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:34 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Meh and myself have paid a lot of money to fill drink cons with rare liquids NOT effects. Some of the liquids come from epics. Others come from pearls. Most of the containers that I used were not old juice containers. They were mob containers and as such CAN NOT be combined with a vial.

If the reason for the change is Vials and the effects they have on the containers, I see no reason for ALL containers to be made 10 sip. If its a non-craft container holding some rare and expensive liquid like corrosive, poisons, or liquid explosive it shouldn't suddenly become 10 sips. You do realise how long it takes to find 100 or so sips of corrosive ect... ?

My solution to THIS problem (non-effect drink cons) is to increase craftable items to include barrels (wooden), water-skins (hide/cloth), and Kegs (metal). They would not have a flag that allows them to be combined with a vial. They could however be used to store larger ammounts of liquids.

If something like this is not done, the game becomes further imbalanced in the favor of casters. It also would be a slap in the face to people trying to accumulate massive quanities of poisons and such. Vials is understandable, limiting drink-con size is not.

Perhaps change the whole system? Drink-containers become craftable (large quanities of liquid for storage reasons) and flasks become craftable (combinable with vials). Flasks would vary in size depending on the quality of the flask. Normal might hold 10 sips, high quality hold 15, exceptional hold 20. Meanwhile drink cons could hold 50, 150, 250 respectively. Would not THIS be a better and more just compromise?

Also require the 'need' for a container to hold a liquid before you can craft it. This removes the current ability of jucies to BE containers. When did you last see someone addept pitcher making? Exactly.

Cook juice elderberry flask
A flask is already full!
Cook juice elderberry barrel
You do not have enough berries to fill A Hawthrone Barrel!

To offset the extremely low container size of flasks, the durations of potion effects should become increased. Ways to do this might be by considering Con stat and Fort save throws. The higher the longer the potions positive effects would remain. Another way would be to have a craft skill 'Alchemy' which would effect the duration of the combine flask-vial. A third way cound be to make the flask quality (or material) dictate duration. One last way (and the simplest) would be to just boost the duration of vials by about x4. I mean 25 seconds of a boost? Why even bother? 2 minutes atleast! You can use rarity to control powerful effects.

Anyway, thats just a huge mass of ideas. Pick and choose what you like. However something needs to be done. I would recommend completely redoing container craft, and juice making. Cele has something up his sleeves anyway about a craft that will have vials become make-able. Or atleast so it is rumored. Making vials from mushrooms and herbs, and combining them with flasks sounds like a great peice of code for an Alchemy craft. This might also bring into game other materials (crystal for example) for the making of flasks other then from metals or stone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:47 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

having a single 'limitless potion of full heal' that is what i was/am dealing with here.

if the mobs are overpowered, and a potion is 'required' in order to do a normal fight, it's my duty to fix the mobiles.

to fight many creatures in epics, or to fight supermobs are the times when i could see potions being needed.

If a player is attacking creatures 50 levels above them, then obviously, this was not intended. In this scenario, yeah, you would definitely need a limitless potion of full heal, but i dont want it that way.

Thankfully Celeborn has fixed the 'use water to fill a potion back up to fill' abuse bug, (i think) So part 1 is taken care of, 100, 150, 250 quaff potions will not happen.

However, as per the 'general idea' of your post, it may have some merit, perhaps, but i'm trying to picture a fight, and having a pixie whip out a 55 gallon barrel of insta heal, chug it down, and go back to the fight as if nothing happened.

I would rather change everything to make it least feel right.

-- once i am sure all the old insta heal drinks (and similar ones) which obviously lopsided the game have been corrected, we can play around with increased size of poisons, or better poison effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:54 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

lalala... and there goes the non-casters last line of defense :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:56 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Code:
Exquisite squished preserved elderberries juice (drinkcon)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contains: 10 sips of juice (Max 10)
Wear location: Hold
Crafter: Canosa
Enchantment: (0/15)
Size: Fine
Weight: 15.0 lb.
Crafted: Exceptional quality
Value: 2 gold

Sorry, but I would think a 15 pound juice would have more then 10 sips :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:59 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

maybe the juice shouldnt weigh 15 1bs in the first place, especially considering most base pixies only weigh 15 1bs themselves :)

as for a warriors last line of defence, carry 2 potions of 10 sips insta heal, aside from voids, and single class warriors, those are about the only times you will see a non magic user character

and i keep repeating myself here, but yes, once again, a player should not 'need' to be relying on healing potions during a fight, unless the opponent is incredibly more powerful than the player. And if this is true, ask yourself a few questions -

first, is the opponent overly powerful for its level(should it be tweaked)

second are you fighting something way outside of your level range in the hopes of getting more experience, and being pummelled in to the ground due to you being 30 levels below your opponent?

third, is this fight supposed to be hard, requiring 1 or 2 sips of healing, and maybe the occasional bandage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:31 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

well since your changing size, change the weight as well k thx bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:14 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

k, when celeborn changes it so that prototype flags will keep material types to save, then we will change weights on 'everything' :)

all robes will be of a cloth/silk origin
all portals will be leather
all equipment that should be metal will be
all equipment that should be whatever, will be :)

we wait for cele :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:29 am 
Dual-Avatar

Why will portals be leather? Shouldn't they be something...extradimensional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:12 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Isabelle you completely misread my post, atleast as far as I could tell. A barrel of complete healing? I am completely against that. A barrel of corrosive, poison, ale, or water I am completely for.

FLASKS would be able to be combined with vials and depending on quality of the flask, hold 5-20 or so sips.

Barrels, kegs, waterskins would NOT be combinable with vials. These would be for the storage of.... oh, maybe water? Not everyone can cast create spring you know. 100, 150, or 250 sip containers are completely realistic for storing simple liquids.

Note that vials change the container, not the liquid. Hence you can not effectively empty a flask into a barrel to fill it with Concotion Complete Healing.

In short:
Flasks != Barrels
Barrels != Flasks

Barrels == Storage
Flasks == Magical
(Magical == vials, Storage != vials)

Barrels == Many sips
Flasks == Couple of sips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:14 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

On a side note, portals are magical. Hence methinks they should be made from the material "Light"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:26 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

call them plasma :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:45 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yes, i agree with you on that part, BUT, currently that is not how they are set, /every/ single container ingame, uses the same (1) object as a base, which is why i have to change them all.

Probably making poisons and such only enchantable onto specific objects would be the way we would need to do it, but for now, its not there.

As long as we all agree the 250 sip insta heals, or even the 50 sip insta heals were a source of unbalance, then cool, we are on the same page :)