Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Make RP like Permadeath
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:21 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Make RP like Permadeath, you choose it at level 1 before gaining any exp. and make it so you can't turn it off. That way a player who wants to RP isn't tempted to ooc. It starts with shouts, then goes to ooc and newbie. Perhaps let them use newbie until they're level 10 or so.

--Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:24 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Yes, lets encourage even fewer people to use RP mode. Lets also slap everyone in the face that has been RP'ing with their current characters :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:06 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

It's not my problem if you took it as an insult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:33 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i dont think vogar took it as an insult, it was more like he was trying to make /his/ message be an insult to show his dissatisfaction with your idea. :) Vogar is like that.

On your idea - personally, i don't think we should do that. If people want to roleplay, thats fine, they deserve no perks, no disadvantages, they roleplay for the fun of it.
Not everyone will want to roleplay 24/7, sometimes you want to hear whats going on in the world, being forced to make a different character, just so you can read public discussions is a deterrent to playing.

The builders of each area can promote roleplay, via quest interaction methods. And that's open to everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:56 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Hee hee, I know he's like that, that's why I take his jibes with a grain of salt. And in the end, I agree with you. It was a spur of the moment kind of idea.

--Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:51 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

What I would like to see is people that are known to hardcore RP their character (and stick to guild/racial/deity/class biase) get an occasional RP point for their hard work.

Yes RP points mean nothing. Yes they likely never will.

However, its a slap in the face when someone gets 12 points all at once just on the spur of the moment of a Caretaker. People that work hard enough with RP that the public knows about their RP should get a point now and then as a "Thank you" for trying.

Those are my thoughts on RP for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:02 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

There can be the current roleplay and "superroleplay", "superroleplay" would use Avestifal's idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:09 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 WWW  Profile

Somewhat related. What if once every 24 hours, a player could distrute an RP point piece. It would take like 5 or 10 of these pieces to make a full point. That way it is something that players can contribute, but reduces the chances of it being abused. Within the 24 hour, the player can only give it out to one other player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:58 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I have seen such systems on other muds. I am kinda against players having control of RP rewards....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:55 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

likewise, as we have all found out, it's near impossible to have 'overseers' to distribute roleplay points, since the only way an admin would be able to do this, would be logging every single bit of speech at every moment of the day.

people put on roleplay cuz they dont wanna hear channels, i say leave it, remove any mention of 'roleplay points' if it still exists, and just let people play however they want to.

i would even go further to say, remove the rule on medieval names, and just let people choose anything they want, as long as it is in no way offensive :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:21 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I would even go far enough as to say, remove the imms, the players, the rooms, the mobs, the shops, the objects, the helpfiles, and the website :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:37 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Just so long as they leave dwarves and the mine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:39 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

whoops, forgot those

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:04 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

no offense but it is a BAD BAD IDEA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:05 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

which one? there are a number of ideas posted here, dork :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:32 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

He was refering to all the ideas not given by Vogar, obviously. You sure are ignorant for even a pixie not to see that ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:45 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Come on, removing medieval requirement for names? Why not take out anything that involves a theme...

Area 1:
Room1
Mob 1 runs around doing nothing, waiting to die by your hand.
Room2
Mob 2 runs around doing nothing, waiting to die by your hand.

Exciting isnt it? But this way anyone can do anything and think anything.
Until this moment I thought Isabelle was one of the Caretakers that liked RP and wanted to encourage it...how stupid of me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:49 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

*dies laughing*

Silvanos that post made my day, and a very good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:09 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

well, i do like roleplaying, but consider the whole enforcement thing for a moment, what a pain in the ass it has been!

i mean, i've had to step in on many occassions, ridicule is widely, and i mean WIDELY abused, players who want fanstasy based names are basically out of luck, (like windwalker, raindrop, etc) all great names in a fantasy atmosphere, not allowed in a purely medieval setting.

It would be nice if we didnt have to enforce things so much.

Course, even if we allowed fantasy based names, i imagine it would be the same, just less annoying to explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:52 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I agree completely in that regard, Isabelle. People who might try for a dwarf named "Bouldershoulder" or some such would almost instantly be ridiculed by half the mud. To me names like Smashfist (troll), Ironhammer (dwarf), Wings (pixie), ect... are perfectly fine names that don't really hurt anything.

On the other hand names like Uberdeath, Killyou, Kiasyn, Mageboy, Throwup, Kiasu, Mfocker, ect... are extremely annoying just to look at. Such names should not be allowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:12 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

That is a good point Isabelle. I had a Troll alt with the name Gorefist which was ridiculed by a few ppl but a Caretaker put a protection thing on it because it was RP-correct for a Troll. Why not mention this in the laws that if you feel your name is correct then you can appeal for protection? Mb through mudmail or a special command which i prefer for newbies? Possibly too difficult however.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:47 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

well, gorefist was allowed because ignoring the spelling of it, it /could/ sound medieval. that was the only reason why i allowed it.

there are a few people who have had protection put on them, but that was the reason why i mentioned possibly changing the medieval names rule.

because when someone does pick a name like windwalker, and is an elven druid, and says but but but, sniff, this is my persona, then we need to go explain to them, but we want medieval names, not fantasy names..
then we argue, and then i get annoyed
and then people start randomly catching on fire

anyways, those are my thoughts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:20 am 

Role-Playing and the ridicule command, two of my favorite topics in one thread. I have always role-played on DL for one simple reason, I enjoy it, and I like acting like I am really in this world. I wish to learn things on my own rather than learn them off the chat channels. In addition the makes the game more of a challenge. The only problem that I have found with RP here is that there is no spell to take the place of the Tells channel. I like to keep this channel off as it seems to me to be realistic for RP. Plus it keeps people who don’t know me from asking me to group all the time. But that means my friends have to Beep me, Astral to me, or send me a Mud mail. A spell that would allow one player to send a message to another would be nice for this reason. However I think it would be abused by people, and harder to monitor than a normal channel, so I have not harped on the subject. As for RP points, I have not missed not having them; I don’t RP for special rewards or recognition. I also see how they could be misused as others have pointed out. There is a place where they might be useful as there are other ways to role-play. Some people like to RP a character in a story. If a Caretaker wished to run something like that, then RP points would serve a use. They would reward the players who were involved with something they could use, in exchange for good role-playing on their parts. It’s not my cup of tea, but there may be some out there who would enjoy it as a change of place.

The ridicule command, to quote Isabelle “ridicule is widely, and i mean WIDELY abusedâ€