Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Severs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:39 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Severs should be removed from the game. Wounding should remain, but no more chopping heads off or horrible spasming.

I remember reading somewhere in a DND manual that Hp is not the ability to sustain absurd amounts of damage, such as losing your head or taking a dozen arrows through the heart, and live. Hp represents a character's ability to avoid critical wounds, through his training, experience, natural toughness, etc. It simplifies wounds and damage into a simple value that is easily understood and manipulated.

Having your head chopped off kills you. Period. You can't cast a spell requiring a verbal component, such as regenerate, with your head gone. However, this mortal wound should not occur while the character has any Hp left, as his remaining Hp represent his ability to avoid such wounds.

What I think should be done:

Remove severs and crushed heads/torsos. Slashes and broken bones can still occur, but nothing which causes spasming(crushed heads or ribs). Increase bleeding damage from wounds. Remove the hard-coded restriction on regenerate and increase its casting time. Increase regenerate's complexity so that it cannot be combined with a Cie rune and so that most non-clerics will have to rely on other means of closing wounds in combat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:25 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Regen is the ONLY way to close wounds in combat. Period. You can't use a bandage in any way, shape, or form while in combat. My voider has bleed to death in the arena from a scratch on his ear. Why? Because when I fled people chased, started a fight, then stayed as far away as possible.

In short, I think there should be two kinds of bandages. Hastily Bandaged (what happens when one is used in combat), and Well Bandaged (what happens when not in combat). Hasty bandages would not completely stop a wound from bleeding. They would slow it several degrees of severity, and lessen the number of ticks per minute.

Depending on the wound, more then one bandage should need to be applied "Partially Bandaged" would happen if you only bandaged a severed arm with one bandage. It might take five for a lost arm, but only one for a scratch... ect...

Last edited by Vogar Eol on Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:55 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

another way to work things would be with delays and timers

so basically forget about everything that happens in DL, doesnt matter

you swing, you cast
complexity of cast determines max delay

ability for opponents to increase the delay by hitting you very hard (a critical hit) - but not over a max possible delay for fairness.

bandages would have a delay

so you stop, bandage yourself (or attempt to) and may not attack while doing so.

bandages could heal you for x amount of damage determined by your skill. (and specific bandages could heal severed limbs? - like bandages with magical ointments) but i would want that to be so rare and hard to find that only people who devoted their time to it would be able to get them, and even then, in small quantity.

Celeborns new patch will help out much for those who use the advantage of metal armors, so we will see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:19 am 
Dual-Avatar

Edit: Oh how wrong I was, and how glad I was to be proven wrong ^_^

Last edited by Nuitari on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:31 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Two things:
While I agree that you should be able to bandage in battle, especially because of the new regen spell lag, having something like Issie stated would be very unrealistic. I mean im in battle my arm pops off, I bandage it and get a long delay..Whats the other person doing while im bandaging? Standing there? No, theyre hitting me. So youre telling me im standing there totally open to attack while bandaging my arm and when an axe gets lodged into my armor my concentration isnt broken and i can cont. bandaging? Seems quite a long shot to me. I think maybe a retreat is necessary.

I dont want to start a flame war here but why are you posting about the effects of the patch when you havent tested it out yet? Even if you *are* speculating and saying you *could* be wrong. I dont think its all like you stated and i *have* been testing things. Maybe others might agree with you but thats for them to post. I dont want this to turn into an insult thing cuz thats not what im here to do, but if it does I will not respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:49 am 
Dual-Avatar

This post isn't about the announced changes in the new patch, I only made a reply to Isabelle SPECULATING about the changes.

Also, you don't know jack about how the system works NOW, Silvanos, so how could you effectively test the new system? Are you going to find out how the new code affects newbies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:12 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Ill respond to the part that wasnt an insult (pretty wrong too but oh well)
Celeborn is testing out all the levelling areas with different people and eq. So yes it is being tested for newbies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:22 am 
Dual-Avatar

I'll respond to the part of what you said that's not moronic or insulting.

....Oh, wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:37 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Please keep this discussion a bit more friendly or it will be locked.

Nuitari: As far as gameplay authority goes, the players who have been testing know a lot more factual information than any of the other caretakers do, since they havent visited yet. If you want to check things how they really are, go create a char on the codeport. You'll be advanced and supplied with gear for anything player related you wish to test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:41 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Thanks. I considered making a character, but I didn't think I'd get gear or anything so I could atually test anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:23 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I think that certain wounds should be lethal, and others not.

A scratch on your arm will not bleed you to death (unless your bloodline has hemophelia). Coagulation is your friend :-). A deep slash however, will kill you if you don't manage to bandage it. Constitution should play a role in what wounds will kill you and what wounds will not.

---Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:54 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

thats how it is already

but you still need to use a bandage to stop the bleeding

any large wound can kill you if you have no blood left in your body

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:52 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

was refering to vogar's comment on his scratched ear causing him to bleed to death.

--Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:46 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Untill such time as we can bandage in combat, the game will be warped toward casters. A true magic-less character will be at a much larger disadvantage in melee combat then a magic-user!

With a penalty of lag or something, bandaging should be allowed in combat. Otherwise if your locked in a single room, and can't excape, the smallest of wounds is leathal. All it takes is time.

Post subject: here's my fix on bandaging
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:57 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

with bleeding/bandaging

my fix would be, you /HAVE/ to be a certain distance before you can bandage (or bandage without a delay)
So if in combat, bandage, 3 seconds, ok, back to fighting
Or, in combat, retreat to distance 75, bandage instant, advance back into combat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:27 am 
Dual-Avatar

Warriors could get a skill that reduces the chance of wounding when they are hit. A veteran warrior has been in many battles and bears scars from wounds received in them. He has learned how to avoid such wounds over the years, and is much better at avoiding critical wounds than a mage, a rogue, or even a paladin.

Combine this with allowing players to bandage in battle, with a delay, to put warriors and casters on more equal footing in terms of wound recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:12 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I would go so far as to say such a skill would be for Paladins and Warriors. Warriors would get the higher skill rank, and Paladins the lower.

Post subject: sever ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

My idea on severs is base on luck,dex, and maybe reflex save throw vs foes. another idea is have a class bestow +1 bleeding like rogue a melee and skillful class. i know Rogue cant hit very hit like a Warrior can unless, the Rogue is highly enchanted on Damage Reduction + Mobility = more parry,dodge,tumble. A killer classes combo is warrior,rogue, (cleric/psionicist) :shock: