It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: stuff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:01 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

just something i was thinking about

crafting -

people with 100 in a particular skill can have the option of crafting a better than masterpiece item.

the catch - it's bound to the crafter immediately

the problem - people would use ridicule to get around it

this wouldnt be for everything, but it would be like a quest reward to unlock the ability, and the ability can only be used if your skill is 100

so quest reward for gauntlets
quest for boots

etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:36 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Why not make it bind to the diety and maybe race
Opinin: just pick one not both :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:50 am 
Tri-Avatar

Honestly, I don't like this idea. The crafting system is already antisocial enough, considering everybody can make nearly everything. This would just make it worse, encouraging people to make their own items even more.

Post subject: Yes!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:04 am 

I love the idea! It is like a reward to the crafter, a masterpiece meant only for them. And I see no problem with encouraging people to make their own items. I have spent several years encouraging my daughter to craft with her character on DL. As for myself, my characters have always crafted as much of their own equipment as possible. Plus there will always be those who will not craft for themselves, and they will pay dearly for the scraps from our crafting skill, but they can never buy the true masterpiece of a master smith. :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Yes!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:09 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Arureal wrote:
I love the idea! It is like a reward to the crafter, a masterpiece meant only for them. And I see no problem with encouraging people to make their own items. I have spent several years encouraging my daughter to craft with her character on DL. As for myself, my characters have always crafted as much of their own equipment as possible. Plus there will always be those who will not craft for themselves, and they will pay dearly for the scraps from our crafting skill, but they can never buy the true masterpiece of a master smith. :twisted:

This is exactly my point. Seeing how we can only craft so many different things per character, I don't think it was ever intended that we can make EVERYTHING for ourselves, you know?

Yes, I think crafting for yourself is great, and I do it often. But on the same token, I also believe that crafts are something to be shared, and the only thing stopping this is the economy. If you got special benefits from the craft that could only be used by the crafter, it would be the same as further convincing people to make their own stuff, and put it on the characters that they want to use it. It DISCOURAGES sharing. It means by sharing your crafts, you could never ever get the best...You could only get the next step down.

Thats fine and dandy for quest rewards and other such things, but these are crafts we are talking about, the very principle of it being trading, selling, and buying. Lets wait and see how the new crafting/economy patch effects things first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:45 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i think we can agree to disagree, i also think you might be blowing it out of proportion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:02 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
i think we can agree to disagree, i also think you might be blowing it out of proportion :)

I'm obsessed with principle. Sue me.

Post subject: Sharing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:56 pm 

Weems does have a point, however I do not think it will have a large of an impact as he believes. It all comes down to human behavior. Some people would not give a starving man a bite of food; others will give the food plus the shirt off their back. Some players who fall into the middle ground of these extremes may behave as Weems suggested, but most would not change but continue to act as they always have.

I have always gave gifts of crafted items to true newbies in order to help them and show them how valuable crafted items can be for them. None of the other craft changes have caused me to alter this behavior, nor do I foresee any craft change that will cause me to deviate from this behavior. I do not give such gifts to established players unless they have selflessly helped my daughter in the game. I do so then only as a token of a father’s gratitude for their actions. That’s just the way I am and nothing is likely to change that.

Now I know that I am a little eccentric, alright, alright already, I am very eccentric, but I see nothing wrong with wanting to craft all one’s own equipment. That is why we have craft unlearn right. First make a full set of swords level 5 to e500, then craft unlearn swords, next full set of maces. Repeat process till you have a full set of equipment. See it all fits together nicely. Ok, ok, so I am not eccentric, I’m downright weird, what can I say but guilty as charged.

So I still think Isabelle has a good idea, even though I will probably never get to benefit from it myself. My daughter hogs all the DL time so I would most likely never get to do the quest and gain that bonus myself. Maybe when she starts dating I will get to play some as I wait up for her date to bring her home. See even as a father I am weird.