Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:56 am 
Dual-Avatar

That would be very, very bad when players invest countless hours into obtaining powerful crafted eq.

For example, let's say Lingolas died under that code. He would lose an emeralite cuirass, an emeralite helmet, two jade rings, two emeralite double axes, two diamond anklets, and other similarly powerful and high-level equipment. Immediately after, Lingolas quits DL. The same thing then happens to other players, and they quit. Only newbies who didn't have anything good to lose are left. DL dies.

How can you justify ruining the results of hundreds of hours of work in a few seconds? Destroying cookie-cutter mob eq may be justifiable, but not crafted eq.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:24 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Does anyone remember why Angelus left? I seem to recall he DT'ed and lost all of his good gear. Shortly after that he re-equiped, and lost everything he had left in another DT. After that he quit.

Gear scrapping of any kind is purely evil. Mobs that scrap non-loyal weapons are the reason I don't like to explore too much in higher-level areas. Last thing I want is some mob disarming an e500 emeralite sword and sac'ing it. Coding like that is purely unfair. If we disarm a mob, its item drops into inventory, and we can't sacrifice it now can we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:07 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Nope, I don't like the disarming and saccing thing either. But I think DT's should still scrap your ****. Angelus was an experienced player, he knew the areas and their dangers. Why do I think this? I think this because people get too fat and lazy when they don't have some serious element of danger in the game.

--Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:13 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

You also say this when your not running around with sentimental items and emeralite gear. All it takes is one accident with the old DT's and months of work are instantly gone.

Picture losing a complete set of Blue Diamond e500 exceptional gear? Picture losing a full suit of emeralite armor and weapons? Picture losing half a dozen quest items? Picture losing gear you enchanted at your 'crowning'?

It is a bad idea for a crafting world. Its a decent idea for a cookie-cutter world where everyone wears the same things. It also makes people fearful of exploring, and general adventure. Isn't losing several thousand epic exp bad enough a penalty without having to have complete loss of everything on the character?

If you really want a challenge, go play Permadeath void mage or something. Don't ruin the game for everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:26 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Vogar, would you please read what board this thread is on? THE IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS BOARD.

I have lost sentimental EQ to DT's in this MUD. And yeah, it sucked that I lost it, and I complained, but guess what happened? I was able to move on. My only concern is that there's no real element of risk to this game if you don't play permadeath. Unless you feel that other people trying to be better at the game than you is a terrible risk. To me it's not.

When you're reading a fantasy/adventure/sci-fi book and you know the character will never die, and despite having all of this uber gear, he will almost never have to worry about losing it, it doesn't make the book very exciting does it? All the cliff-hangers and "suspense" moments are blown away by the fact that the character is never going to be in any serious danger.

Perhaps something could be done so that instead of scrapping all of your gear the DT only scraps one piece?

E.G- Due to the gruesome way in which you died "The Cosmic Belt" was damaged beyond repair.

--Avestifal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:42 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Why not just make repairs cost a heck of a lot more? Hrm? Or require some of the base material to be repaired? Why does an item have to be permently destroyed? Would not taking 50 ingots of meteorite and 100k to repair it be better?

If you like purgings, I am sure Isabelle would be happy to eat an item for you each time you die. Or you could sac one yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I fear that you might be suffering from intrinsic methane poisoning due to the conditions of your surroundings. It seems to be making you fly off into tantrums for no explicable reason.

No, that would not be better because you HAVE to fight to level, and there-for your equipment is going to become damaged, and a heck of a lot more money and base material price is far more than your avg player can afford. And people don't hit DT's nearly as much as people are fighting and leveling. DT's are avoidable. Equipment damage is not, unless you never fight/leave it sitting around. Perhaps a moderate amount of money for each.

Lets just drop this frank exchange of words on this thread. If you feel like continuing it you can post a new reply to the next idea I suggest.

---Avestifal