Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Top 50 list of most glaring issues - was re: donations
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:22 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

1. Turn undead, or any form of instant kill needs to go!

2. exciting pvp action is needed! (there's no reason why we can't turn a person who is completely opposed to pvp fighting, into someone who heartily embraces it - and its possible)
(this may involve a total change of how death occurs)

3. limits on crafting/enchanting
- such as max # of enchants per item, (2) when you go over, you get option of 'replacing' previous enchant

4. removal of multiclasses, 1 class, special abilities only way for balance.

5. astral walk and portal need to go!
(replace with vehicle travel where applicable)

6. we should have a tradeskill for healing
bandages with a kick - that heal

instead of giving you an instant heal, you get a fair heal that compensates for not being a cleric

7. Self Sufficient runes - GONE
theres no room for a no mana cost spell in the game

world range - GONE

if you have the guts to go things alone, and dont like being near people, you dont deserve an ability to instantly send a tell to someone, and instantly be resurrected, and then healed to full health.

- as stated above, quite feasible if we change how death happens.

8. racial bonuses - GONE! racial selections only purpose should be for roleplaying, questing, hometown location.
(quests should be added which are unique to each race/class)

bonuses should be class specific ONLY

theres my list for now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:44 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Heya :)

Please add your PERSONAL top 50 glaring issues with DL. The things that really really really ruin the game for you and need to be fixed. I prefer concrete and specific issues. I cant fix generic things as "bad caretakers" or "buggy fight code".

Thankyyyy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:06 pm 
Dual-Avatar

In respone to Isa's post:

1. I agree
2. GO ISA
3. More explanation, please?
4. The triclass thing is one of the coolest aspects of DL, and creates more diversity - don't remove it
5. They shouldn't leave entirely, but should be much harder to cast and possibly require some expensive material components. Maybe make them available only to high level mages or something.
6. Epicbought regeneration does pretty much that
7. Cie creates a lot of imbalance, and Aya just plain shouldn't exist.
8. I'd rather see racial bonuses changed to special bonuses, kind of like starsigns, that every player can choose a limited selection of upon character creation(and it wouldn't be based on your race)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:23 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Celeborn wrote:
Heya :)

Please add your PERSONAL top 50 glaring issues with DL. The things that really really really ruin the game for you and need to be fixed. I prefer concrete and specific issues. I cant fix generic things as "bad caretakers" or "buggy fight code".

Thankyyyy! :D
i have no personal issue with anyone feel hate me because i just playing around on DL. I dont believe personal anyone should judge anyone on DL because it in fact a game allowing you to action like something your really not :( . i never seen a gnome in my life unless its in form of a carve statue but look at me on DL im a Gnome!!! But really dont judge someone because dont act the same or you think the game is being unfair. Example: Pixie have a big bonus in complexility. instead of judging a pixie overpower learn how to feel with that power. another example is Gnome have a high overpower because they can UP the MR and be immune to magic as in no one can use a harm magic on them and all they have to worry about is to up the mobility and attack roll and you have one hell of a character that overpower then a pixie, anyone can be overpower with a combo of someone is point out like im doing on about gnomes. :twisted: instead of complainting about someone character you can make the same in time or overpower they're character (find a advanage). Here a serect that the caretaker remove from the arena thats unfair to person, a Psionicist wth the sleep spell, this spell beings down the person mobility down to 0, and thrust and sever once head or torso to sever another part of the body. In jadgement you can no long use spell on players but you can up your MR, attack roll and mobility, in order to address this issue is to epic alot and have more enchantment space and use it wisely to overpower another character. Some people can in time but some people dont have the time and should just enjoy the Game itself lke Amora does :D . Hey i hope i didnt give away any ideas or make someone to reply to be a smartass to me. Dont get piss/mad at someone and judge them because you find something as unfair to you, remember you have to find the weak of a bull before you change at it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:32 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Nuitari's top 50, from another thread:

Quote:
It's not easy to find 50 glaring issues, DL is a great game, after all. Here are 10, and I can probably come up with 40 more if you want.

Wearing armor makes you easier to kill.

Addy and Meteorite, the "best" metals, are actually WORSE than mitrill for most equipment.

There is no PK system. Killing the same mobs over and over again gets old. Fighting other players is relatively exciting and challenging.

The justice system is buggy, and can get people jailed without actually doing anything wrong.

When they occur, coding changes tend to create new problems, rather than fixing existing ones(for example, instead of addressing the fact that offensive magic is nearly useless except for killing supermobs, you cripple its ability to kill supermobs by making breath interact with balance and consider nerfing other spells in the same manner)

It is far too easy for someone with nothing to lose to ruin the gaming experience of a large number of players. A complete newbie, who has invested no time in DL and has nothing but a level 3 character, can harass and annoy the entire mud over ooc. The established players can't really do much about it, aside from using ignore, since they can and probably will be punished for reciprocating insults/violence, wheras the newbie has nothing to lose. This situation should be reversed, established players who have invested more time into the game and have more to lose should have more influence in such things.

Rules, particularly ones on harrasment, are entirely subject to the opinions and favoritism of whatever Immortals happen to be on. While DL's immortals don't seem to practice excessive favoritism, a player has no recourse if an immortal decides they don't like that player, they can either suffer or go play another mud. Harassment, in particular, is used by immortals as a sort of "blanket offense" that they can nail anyone with. Immortals often need only an excuse to punish someone, not a reason. This seems to be far less of a problem than in the past, though, or at least I haven't seen it much anymore.

With AC capped, AR not capped, AC costing more per effective point than AR, and metal armor messed up, combat at higher levels consists of nothing but spamming jabs at your opponent's head and casting heal and regenerate on yourself.

New, beneficial content is rarely added to DL. Most changes take what is already there and detract from it in some way to make the game less fun (removing overcharging, nerfing speed[neccessary, but crudely handled], removing hide/sneak from equipment, forcing us to id drain eq, making items in shops not ided, making hunger lower our stats, the appetite code, astral walk nerfs[why would a zoo be barred against entry from the astral plane?], and the new, anal area level restrictions, to name a few). This is not to say that ALL of the changes to DL have been bad, there are several great ones that make DL stand out among muds(the combat system, prism magic & runes, the minimap, and the crafting system, among others).

A complete lack of rp. This is, of course, not your fault; players and IMMs need to work together to make RP work. You could take out most public global channels and tells, allow limited pking for PvP purposes, and hold quests that require you to stay IC. If players want to chat with large numbers of people, they can sit down together in a Tavern or Tsq, talk on their guild channel, or use magical means of communication(dream and transporting notes, for example). Players could also recieve rewards for roleplaying well( not"good job, you roleplayed today, have some emeralite"; but maybe players gradually earn RP points which IMMS can use as a basis for distributing periodic quest-type rewards or something)

Guns don't kill people; I do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:42 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Haha.. this is gonna be weird :P

1. Being able to find more blue diamond at just over e100 then at over e500.

2. Accidently unlearning crafts over 10%. Perhaps adding a "iamsure" argument for things over 10%.

3. There is NO form of pvp action. Add an option for people who wish to PK the ability to pk.

4. Elves only having +20% Nature Complexity. I think this should be raised to +25%.

5. Damage Reduction should be global.

6. Meteorite should be made better.

7. Gold and silver should be made more common.

8. Iron should have a better use then as a practice material etc.

9. Add more variety to bone weapons. I would like to see daggers, spears, swords and talons added to this.

10. Not being able to see the full amount of mobility an item takes off. IE, i look at my shirt and see [Defense: -2.0 Mobility, +105.0 DR] However this item could actually have -2.9 mobility and i wouldn't know.

11. Mobility being capped.

12. Annoying dwarves. (EDIT: Actually, Annoying Dwarf). Not gonna mention any names :)

13. Epic Magic - Epic mobs have high MR. Perhaps every 10 epic levels you gain you get +1 MR piercing which adds to your roll?

14. Disarm - Can't be used in arena. Would be nice if we could use this :)

15. Damage types - /ALL/ damage types should have a bleed like effect. If you try to attack someone with two fractured arms, chances are you're gonna hurt yourself more then them.

16. Justice council - It is EASY to evade the justice council. They need the ability to summon a criminal from ANYWHERE. :) NOTE: ONLY usable on criminals, NO ONE else
Thats all for now, more coming soon when I think of them :P

Last edited by Kiasyn on Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:44 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Another thing: Both resistances and severs are imbalanced, but balance each other out in a limited way to create a sort of balance. They both need to be strongly nerfed, but nerfing one and leaving the other alone will create even greater imbalance. My suggestion would be to remove resists from eq and force players to epicbuy them, and to balance AC and AR to make severs less overpowered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:47 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Kia, the topic of this forum is 'top 50 glaring issues', not 'minor changes that you would like'. Spamming Cele with trivial issues will result in him not being able to complete much of anything :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:22 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

1. self sufficient rune - gone
2. items in shop should be identified properly
3. epic dungeon needs a description, that mini map sucks
4. impose limits on world range rune or increase the required complexity significantly
5. gem pop gradient in epic dungeon according to levels
6. adding objectives to all guild wars.
7. adding a cost to wars
8. the school summoning belongs to a druid not a ranger.
9. do something about stun. what is the use of getting stunned while you are trying to stun someone else. What kind of dumb warrior would stun using his own head?
10. slash cuts, blunt bruises, pierce sucks. Please add bleeding to pierce.
11. allow fill portal and empty portal in structures options
12. APPETITE WILL ONLY BE BASED ON RACE NOT EQU!!!
13. prioritize metal armors. for example: adamantite should be better than mitrill!
14. the spell meteorite should be better. one should rather be hit with breath than to be hit by a meteorite.
15. There's nothing acrobatic about acrobats. (especially for trolls)
16. inconsistancy in level of regeneration in trolls when they hit triave. I use to know a troll with 40 regeneration points at triave. While i hit 40 regeneration points after pouring at least 200 epic points into it. where's the fairness?
17. lift area restriction and replace it with attacking restriction based on levels. Sometimes i like to enter old places to hunt for tokens, to explore what i missed out, or just to be able to revisit the place.
18. hunger and thirst should be only for RPers
19. non RPers eat food to recover HP and some vitality. in other words, all COOCKED food are some kind of health potions.
20. get rid of the time delay for walking from one room to another. True in real life but this is not neccessary in DL.
21. create some kind of system that we can find our vehicles. maybe something like hiring a pixie tolocate and bring you your vehicle for a small fee.
22. do something about shields. they are virtually useless in DL. it is hard to imagine that shileds are useless in medieval time.
23. change the prism armor to mobility
24. if we take away astral, i suggest we set up traveling services outside of tarsonis' gate. for example, a traveling agency will take you to your destination for a fee. the farter it is away from tarsonis the higher the fee. There should be a time delay depending on the distance traveling. (add hijack to make it fun). there's a small chance that you'll be hi acked while traveling. :) if this occured, you have to walk the rest of the way or recall and hire another one.
25. after you are resurrected, you have 10 secs immunity from drowning again. perhaps extend the breath bar.
26. boulders in the epic dungeon. I can survive being hit by a meteor. i can defeat thousand of dragons, but i am defenseless against a stupid boulder?

27. august posts :) (please please please****) i will gladly keep the emeralites for those that retired since then :)

28. extend the ignore list!!! 2 people that's 16 players to put on the ignore list
29. extend the runewalk list. Now that we have structures and that most peple have their own private pillar, we need alot more runewalk space than before.
30. reintroduce deathtraps.
31. fix wars between nations. it seems that no matter how many forsakan i murdered, tarsonis guards still want my ass.
32. give druid another elemental. Elementals are all they got.
33. trolls' regeneration is not fast enough to be useful
34. get rid of "you find nothing" or at least allow the miner to get the %

i cant think of the last 16.

Last edited by lingolas on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:09 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

1. Cloth armor is better protection then metal armor. I am sure everyone finds that a bit unrealistic.

How to change that? Your attack and Mobility would no longer decide if how much damage you do. It would only decide if you hit your target, the blow misses and/or is parried/blocked/dodged. Mobility vs Attack would also no longer decide your critical hits.

Alright, but everyone loves severing heads! We must have a way to critical! So instead compare weapon material, weapon Average Damage (the actual roll, not the average), and the weapons quality VS the targeted location's armor material, DamRed, and quality. This would decide the chance of you gaining a critical hit. Since damage roll would be applied only after the check, it would not aid the ability to smash through DamRed. Epic DamRed would be added directly to the armor of every location.

What would this mean? You are more likely to lose an arm to an axe blow if your just wearing a silk shirt. However, you are MUCH more likely to dodge the axe blow then someone in a 190 pound suit of metal armor. More realistic then the current system? You bet.

2. Resistances work off percentage of damage recieved. This is much too powerful.

Change this so that resistance is measured in Fire Damage Reduction, ect... Basically a set number of points is removed from that damage type and remains static. 200 slash reduction would be great for a lowbie, but not as good for an epic. Since it is point based, it can have a set rate like all other enchantments. This would do away with the huge curve resistances currently have.

3. Regeneration is instant, and does EVERY severed appendage.

This is kinda nerfed. Why should a warrior who has severed every limb from a caster 10 times eventually lose the fight? Regeneration should only do one limb at a time, but be targetable (Cast regenerate Lingolas right arm), or it could be completely random but fecs would increase the number of wounds done at once.

Regenerate should also be slow, simular to crafting a sword. First bleeding stops. Then wounds would close. Then a few messages about the arm growing back, small in size at first. Eventually the arm can be used again. If the character has dispel cast upon them before its done the regeneration would stop where it was and need to be cast again to finish.

4. Strong drink Fortitude checks are completely reverse of what they should be.

Currently you get drunk on weak liquids when you pass the Fort check, but you don't get drunk when you fail on strong drinks like whiskey. This needs to be flipped around to the way it should be.

5. Crafted items should be able to pop more sockets then just three. Crafted armor and rings should also be given sockets.

I feel that the larger the weapon the more sockets should be avalible to it. Short swords should get two sockets, very rarely three (rarer then now). Longswords should get three sockets, very rarely four. Greatswords should get four sockets, very rarely five. Same should carry over to most full sized weapons. Pole arms should get up to six sockets, but only VERY VERY rarely.

6. Spiked gear doesn't seem to really do anything when it is hit, only a message and nothing more. Special liquids on armors do nothing on impact.

Casting rosethorn on wooden armors should make them do a small amount of damage when hit. Well, atleast it should do something, which it doesn't seem to do now. Maybe if spiked gauntlets could be used to increase the damage done with punches and add some pierce criticals to the broken bones? Poisons, liquid explosive on your spiked gauntlets, boots ect.... should do something when struck against an enemy, or by an enemy.

7. Races such as halfling, dwarf, ogre, orc, ect.... should have something done to them to increase the interest in leveling one of them.

8. The sigils of different deities should differ to match the beliefs of that deity. As fec's are added, the usefulness of the item should increase.

10. Every major spell should be able to have a Til rune added to it to reverse the effects.

Heal spell should reverse into Harm (does HP damage). Regenerate should change into Wounding. Ward should change into Bane. Warmonger with an improved version of Unravel (simular to reversed warmonger). And so on.... Every single prism should be a reverse of another prism. Even Ironwood and Rosethorn could be simple opposites. Summon Vermin, and Banish Vermin (harm done to that animal type)... There really shouldn't be an end to this.

11. Racial runes should be possible to get for all types of creatures.

This should include races such as Undead and Constructs. Undead should be possible for only Paladins to Soulbind. Unholy for the Clerics. Constructs for the Mages. Unknown for the Psionists.

For now, I can't think of too much else. When I get some sleep will see if I can think up anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:08 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

sounds good the only problem i have with heal turning into harm is that it will make clerics mages. perhaps we should put a huge complex penalty on til runes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:56 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

The spell doesn't need to be the exact same complexity as its opposite, nor does it really have to be the same school. Would Bane be a defensive spell, just because Ward is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:53 pm 
Caretaker

Isabelle said "2. exciting pvp action is needed! (there's no reason why we can't turn a person who is completely opposed to pvp fighting, into someone who heartily embraces it - and its possible) "

There are some people like me and most likely Gerarden that will never "embrace" pk. I do not object to it exsisting, only to being forced to participate. I feel like we have as much right to *not* wish to pk as the people who wish it should have some form of it.

It is not that i am scared to die, lose eq, lose exp, ect....it is simply i have no desire to pk other players. Sure there are a few that i heartily dislike but even those few people i would not want to pk or i already would have.

There is no option that will convince me otherwise. PK should not be forced upon players. I hope my opinion counts for something after being a player as long as i have.

Post subject: sard
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:07 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i know what you're saying sard, but after playing world of warcraft, and the style of pvp that they have, i can tell you right now, it's perfect. And if we had such a system, i would wager that you and gerarden would probably take part in it before long :)

and no, its not a forced pvp, its entirely a free will thing.

i wouldnt advocate a forced pvp system, i'm not an advocate of the current system that d/l has now either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm 
Dual-Avatar

You play WoW, Isa?

Do you play Warcraft 3, too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:03 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Vogar Eol wrote:
1. Cloth armor is better protection then metal armor. I am sure everyone finds that a bit unrealistic.

How to change that? Your attack and Mobility would no longer decide if how much damage you do. It would only decide if you hit your target, the blow misses and/or is parried/blocked/dodged. Mobility vs Attack would also no longer decide your critical hits.

Alright, but everyone loves severing heads! We must have a way to critical! So instead compare weapon material, weapon Average Damage (the actual roll, not the average), and the weapons quality VS the targeted location's armor material, DamRed, and quality. This would decide the chance of you gaining a critical hit. Since damage roll would be applied only after the check, it would not aid the ability to smash through DamRed. Epic DamRed would be added directly to the armor of every location.

What would this mean? You are more likely to lose an arm to an axe blow if your just wearing a silk shirt. However, you are MUCH more likely to dodge the axe blow then someone in a 190 pound suit of metal armor. More realistic then the current system? You bet.

2. Resistances work off percentage of damage recieved. This is much too powerful.

Change this so that resistance is measured in Fire Damage Reduction, ect... Basically a set number of points is removed from that damage type and remains static. 200 slash reduction would be great for a lowbie, but not as good for an epic. Since it is point based, it can have a set rate like all other enchantments. This would do away with the huge curve resistances currently have.

3. Regeneration is instant, and does EVERY severed appendage.

This is kinda nerfed. Why should a warrior who has severed every limb from a caster 10 times eventually lose the fight? Regeneration should only do one limb at a time, but be targetable (Cast regenerate Lingolas right arm), or it could be completely random but fecs would increase the number of wounds done at once.

Regenerate should also be slow, simular to crafting a sword. First bleeding stops. Then wounds would close. Then a few messages about the arm growing back, small in size at first. Eventually the arm can be used again. If the character has dispel cast upon them before its done the regeneration would stop where it was and need to be cast again to finish.

4. Strong drink Fortitude checks are completely reverse of what they should be.

Currently you get drunk on weak liquids when you pass the Fort check, but you don't get drunk when you fail on strong drinks like whiskey. This needs to be flipped around to the way it should be.

5. Crafted items should be able to pop more sockets then just three. Crafted armor and rings should also be given sockets.

I feel that the larger the weapon the more sockets should be avalible to it. Short swords should get two sockets, very rarely three (rarer then now). Longswords should get three sockets, very rarely four. Greatswords should get four sockets, very rarely five. Same should carry over to most full sized weapons. Pole arms should get up to six sockets, but only VERY VERY rarely.

6. Spiked gear doesn't seem to really do anything when it is hit, only a message and nothing more. Special liquids on armors do nothing on impact.

Casting rosethorn on wooden armors should make them do a small amount of damage when hit. Well, atleast it should do something, which it doesn't seem to do now. Maybe if spiked gauntlets could be used to increase the damage done with punches and add some pierce criticals to the broken bones? Poisons, liquid explosive on your spiked gauntlets, boots ect.... should do something when struck against an enemy, or by an enemy.

7. Races such as halfling, dwarf, ogre, orc, ect.... should have something done to them to increase the interest in leveling one of them.

8. The sigils of different deities should differ to match the beliefs of that deity. As fec's are added, the usefulness of the item should increase.

10. Every major spell should be able to have a Til rune added to it to reverse the effects.

Heal spell should reverse into Harm (does HP damage). Regenerate should change into Wounding. Ward should change into Bane. Warmonger with an improved version of Unravel (simular to reversed warmonger). And so on.... Every single prism should be a reverse of another prism. Even Ironwood and Rosethorn could be simple opposites. Summon Vermin, and Banish Vermin (harm done to that animal type)... There really shouldn't be an end to this.

11. Racial runes should be possible to get for all types of creatures.

This should include races such as Undead and Constructs. Undead should be possible for only Paladins to Soulbind. Unholy for the Clerics. Constructs for the Mages. Unknown for the Psionists.

For now, I can't think of too much else. When I get some sleep will see if I can think up anything else.
hey i think the cloth are better because of the metal asy to break: maybe you can metal more durable then light armor. :idea: light armor should have more enchantment but low durablilty and metal has more durablility and some metal are better then others (rare - rarest)

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:46 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

nuit - wow yes, war3 nope

others - cloth versus metal eq
cloth is lighter, so you get better mobility
metal is heavier and gives you better damagereduction

in theory, i'm sure you would agree with me, this is what we all want

in actuality, the two are not balanced, having a higher mobility is better than having a higher damagereduction, because of "critical hits" basically critical hits are what people "rely" on, instead of just getting a random cool bonus.

my fix? no idea, but if we get people off the dependancy of critical hits, and have attacks more generalized (as in, your hits will pretty much always be the same, except for the occasional higher damage once in a while, then i think things will be slightly more balanced, and equipment will also be slightly more balanced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:18 am 
Dual-Avatar

Change the ac penalty on metal armor to a dex penalty. That will change the decision from "get criticaled a lot and hope your opponent dies before you do" versus "get massively criticaled and die", to "have extra enchant space" versus "take reduced damage from attacks". It makes more sense that way, and that in conjunction with an increase in armor dr would allow resists to be changed to epicbuy or some other less readily abused means.

It's not our fault we rely on severs so heavily; it's the fault of whoever designed the combat system(I mean....they obviously hate armor class or something....it's capped and costs more per EFFECTIVE point than attack roll). Severs are the only way to kill a good player, aside from a few rare and special alternatives(if you really want to know some of them, ask Vogar nicely)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:28 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Hrm well. :) I like this thread. I'll list as much as I can think of, in no particular order.

1. Racial balances. This is pretty broad, but I'm talking about how some races are inherently better than others.

2. Combat balance. This consists of many different things, including but not limited to:
A. Armor types being unbalanced (silk better than meteorite? wtf?)
B. Mobility being capped (STILL!)
C. Magic is terrible at high levels.
D. And I'm sure theres plenty more I'm just not thinking of right now.

3. Class balance. This ties in a lot with number 2, but I thought this deserved it's own number. Some class are just lots more powerful than others, or just plain more useful. Rangers? Ewwwww.

4. Epic favoritism. Got rogue? Enough said.

5. MOBILE INTELLIGENCE This is HUGE, and I can't believe more people don't mention it. All sorts of new combat features and abilities have been added over the years, but mob intelligence has seemingly never really been improved. They are PAINFULLY stupid, they don't even react in anything close to an intelligent fashion, and are incredibly easy to manipulate. I don't know if this has something to do with server side CPU usage, but I would certainly love to see smarter mobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:09 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Upcoming changes (later this week)

Attack vs. Mobility:
Attack vs. Mobility no longer defines criticals or wounding. it now defines if the attacker hit the victim, and no more.

Criticals or not?:
When an attacker hits, the attackers weapon (material, quality) is weighed against the victims armor (material, innately weak- or freshly damaged spots in the armor). This defines the chance of a possible critical + wounding effects. Better quality weapons potentially create high criticals, while better armor protects against high criticals.

Before:
Naked victims hit by a sword almost never get critically hit, while a fully plated warrior of doom gets instantly stabbed to death by10x damage. The higher level armor people wear, the faster they die.

After:
Compared to a naked player an armored player will be hit more, for less damage, and will be harder to perform critical hits upon.

Other mods:
+ Regenerate now requires a short recuperation time before it can be cast upon the same target.
+ Your primary magical schools (innate 30+ at level 50) increase every 30 epic levels or so.
+ Flipped alcohol fortitude test. (You get drunk when you fail it, not when you succeed at it!).
+ Cleric mobile AI upgrade. (more planned!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:15 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

You know.... this would be a good time to add some code that makes sharpening weapons more useful. How about weapons getting dulled when they hit armor thats better then they are? In short, a weapon can damage armor, why not the other way around too?

It makes more sense that sharpened weapons dull with use against better materials. Much more sense then the current sharpened weapons. Also, shouldn't better metals hold a slightly better edge? Not by much, but slightly. Lets say maybe gold sharpens to +10%, silver 15%, Bronze 20%, iron 25%, mitrill 27%, Dwarven steel 27%, Adamantite 30%, Meterorite 35%, and Emeralite 40%.

I don't think a weapon dulled through combat should be destroyed by the dulling however. It should just take a heavy minus to damage. Once a certain dullness is hit, the weapon itself actually loses damage stars (aka once it hits -1% or below) untill it drops into inventory.

Last edited by Vogar Eol on Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:44 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

i dont know if i read your note correctly vogar but currently weapons do get dull after some usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:06 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Yes, but its more like its wearing off just from hits. Not having anything to do with material struck from what I can tell. Also I have never seen a sword "dull" just lose its sharpened edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:54 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Please keep this thread oriented towards critical bugs and obvious design flaws. (There is no magical enchantment on me that binds me to just anything added here! :P I want everything that is so blatantly stupid, like all metal armor being useless. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:19 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Whee, you finally improved complexity with epic level! GO CELE!
If you're going to have epic levels increase complexities, you should uncap speed and lower the rate at which people get it. Something similar should be done with breath, as well. Epicbuy MR should also have its cost locked in at some point(20?); if players are gaining complexity regularly for epicing, they also need to be able to get MR at a comparable rate.

edit: removed first half of this post 'cause Cele clarified ; )

Last edited by Nuitari on Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next