Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Miners - New Mine Area?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:23 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

As there are more miners than ever, and I know of a few people who are planning to take up mining as well, I suggest making a new mine area. Perhaps east of west of Midian since there's one already in Tarsonis?

I know this will conflict with those who believe that well, "First come, first serve and eh...out of luck if you don't get to mine." That's all fine and dandy for those who are lucky enough to be able to get on at the time that there is a reboot. And as an experienced miner...I know that it only takes two miners who have a couple hours of time on their hands, to wipe out all of shale >=) So by the time the rest of the population, who happens to be MOST of DL who is on Eastern Time, get home from work/school...there's nothing left to mine =(

Never the less, let's take into consideration that there are more miners than ever, and more coming...there just isn't enough room for everybody. I am happy to see that people are taking up mining and wanting to learn new crafts and gather resources, as I am a crafter/enchanter myself, but frustrating...never the less for everyone who has taken up mining.

I welcome all comments, whether negative or possitive. I just want to see if miners are getting as frustrated as I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:35 pm 

yes, it is frustrating, something needs to be done about it, another mine site near midian or tarsonis, or the mine needs to reset more often rather than just every reboot, just SOMETHING. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:03 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

doooooooooooooooooooooo something :/

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:51 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

celeborn has already taken care of that, may come in next patch

however, there is absolutely no way that there are 48 people in the mine at any one time

and before i get an arguement, you people need to learn how to share, if you're mining down, theres no reason why you can't let someone else mine north.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:53 am 

well, for me, it doesn't bother me if someone else is in the same room mining, just so they are going in another direction than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:36 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

Isa...no offense, but that wasn't the basis of my message and if my message didn't convey what I wanted, then I will explain again.

It's not a matter of sharing. It's a matter of shale being mined out when miners go down to mine. shrug.

I just mined out a level in two hours. Imagine if 2-3 players get a hold of it in the morning, which seems to be the case for the last 3 months. I hardly mine during the weekdays because frankly, it's empty.

It's not a matter of an arguement. It's a matter that we need another mine since there are more miners. If by your comment, "Cele has already taken care of that, maybe next patch" that the problem has already been recongnized by Caretakers, great. But if you talked to miners...it's not a matter of not sharing anymore...it's a matter of it just being mined OUT. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:56 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I believe the world map is some 400 x 400 (160000) squares wide.... under everyone of these rooms there /would/ be minerals mineable... it makes absolutely no sense that there is only one mine... im not saying i want mines on every part of it.... but a few more would be great... and maybe expanding shale and making it go deeper? dunno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:27 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Well you can actually mine at every mountain block, but only for copper and its not a huge amount to say the least. Since most ppl are deeper in the mines, this doesnt solve the whole problem. A greater promotion of mountain range mining should be done however. Since pract. everyone forgot about it or never knew about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:25 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

why mine copper? o.O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:26 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Why mine copper? Do you get out much? You know its the easiest of the metals to get. You can pull full portals from one room with very little work. You can also strip mine all of Midian Hills for ore just like people cut down hawthorne or forage cotton.

Guess what you do with all that instant metal? You addept your forging skills, make tens of thousands of swords so you can have an e500 three socket exceptional. When its done, you reforge it to a better metal. Why waste 30 ingots an item of a better metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:34 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

And as for expanding shale to go deeper.... there are other places that have resources people want. If I wish to mine in granite or limestone, I should have to dig deeper to get at it just because YOU like shale better?

Also, even though I am completely for more mines in the world... is the mine really stripped clean just because shale has been mined out? Clay pops just about as much mitrill and cheep gems as shale. You just won't find adamantite in clay. Limestone might not pop as much metal, and be slower going, but it has plenty of gems and the metals it does pop are better.

So, has anyone ever thought of mining in something other then shale?

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:59 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

sure they have, but then they wouldnt be able to make a complaint :)

and no, the additional mine wasnt made for that reason, it was made to re-introduce pvp fun ;)

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:33 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
sure they have, but then they wouldnt be able to make a complaint :)

and no, the additional mine wasnt made for that reason, it was made to re-introduce pvp fun ;)

Gee, thanks for clearing that up. I could have sworn a new mine would be introduced for clear, logical reasons. Like when somebody comes home from work and where they mine in the mines is cleared out.

And no, it's not easy to just 'mine somewhere else'. First of all, to do that you need a dedicated wall puncher. For clay, thats a whole new character. Same with limestone. And furthermore, theres far less mitrill and gems in clay than shalestone.

I personally don't think that when you login to DL should have a clearcut advantage on how much resources you are able to pull. For example, early birds always get a huge advantage, but people logging in late get the pathetic remains, or have to take there mining to deeper or higher level where they get their resources far slower.

So I am glad that a new mine is being put in, whether or not it's for 'pvp fun' (whatever that means, Miss Vague).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:52 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

First off, Vogar - you haven't mined in how long? O.o Things have changed. You figured that out when you tried to get a few people to type "Help me" figuring they would lose their levels. Yea, nice joke.

As Weems stated, no...there isn't as much Mitrill in Clay NOR limestone. YES, I mine in clay AND limestone, had a miner for clay until I changed it to shale, and I have a limestone miner.

Shale is the perfect place to be for mitrill and basic gems. For a guild leader who ephasizes mining, you should know this.

And yes, copper is getting mined out just as fast as shale does. And no, even with 60 luck, you can't fill a portal full of copper ore from one room. eh....when was THIS ever possible? Because I have mined copper for a year, and never have recieved that much ; again, luck maxed.

Hrm...and Isa, have to agree with weems, you were too vague on the PVP mine. My first impression is that great, someone can kill my miner for the resources. heh. But maybe it's more involved than that. Guess we will all have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:20 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i didn't mean increase the OVERALL depth of the mine... just cut a few floors off limestone (which aren't even used anyway) and make them into shale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:18 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Reply for the record: "Help me" never did anything. It is a joke to make somes heart skip a beat. If they type it and BELIEVE they lost their levels doing it, they might get an adrenaline rush up till they type "score".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:30 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Ever count how many pieces of clay it takes to mine into the next room? Ever count how many it takes in shale? The difference in rooms might not be compared, but the waste vs resource is more or less equal to shale. The main difference is you won't see metals rarer then mitrill, nor anything but basic gems. Personally I perfer mining in clay, AND thats with a shale "Wall-puncher". Things aren't so bad as some paint out. I just think the mine needs to reset every 6 hours.

How many chars does 'Vogar' have? Are you sure? Are they all CoS members? Can Vogar sneak around on alts? True, the "Vogar Eol" char has not been seen in the mines for a long time. However, I wouldn't go second guessing.... Every time I want to test something different I go through chars. Heck, I must have taken hundreds of characters to level 30.

PvP fun in the mines? Oh, Mitrill help us all.... It best have some kind of safety to allow people other then the most powerful players and their alts to mine there.... On the bright side, if only the best PvP mined there, they would not be mining in the old one. Perhaps the ability to really and trully block the shaft behind you better then you currently can?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:40 am 
Tri-Avatar

kiasyn wrote:
i didn't mean increase the OVERALL depth of the mine... just cut a few floors off limestone (which aren't even used anyway) and make them into shale

:roll: When I mine, I mine in limestone.

" Things aren't so bad as some paint out. I just think the mine needs to reset every 6 hours."

That made me laugh. First you say it's not bad, then you basically agree with us about having more resources generated.

Problem with having 6 hour resets...Would make running EG or lower granite mining, or even lower lime mining, near IMPOSSIBLE. I have ran EG many times. To do it under 6 hours would need quite a bit of people, which isnt neceserrily bad or good. BUT I don't want solo granite/lime mining being disrupted, and it certainly would be if they were reset every 6 hours. I see more mining space as a perfectly fine solution, and am somewhat relieved by the fact that another mine is being added, or something of that nature.

But I would really like Isabelle or Celeborn or whoever to spill the beans on this, I don't see any reason why it's being kept secret. Makes no sense, other than to hide from player opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:17 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

I would also like to add, that rebooting every six hours makes it impossible for someone to get down to the shale pillar on time. Even then, you still have to find it when you reach 550. :roll:

We have a new miner who just added shale yesterday and this person spent 8-9 hours mining to reach it. Yes, she had access to such spells as haste, vigil, juices...and has 50 luck. I applaud her patience >.> I have none.

Six hours wouldn't work Vogar, and that STILL doesn't solve the issue of more people mining these days - which is the theme of this thread anyway. We are asking for more readily available resources and the space in which to mine it.

So yea, looking forward to the new mine myself.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:38 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

the mud resets every 6 hours?

is this a new thing?

or do you guys play in an alternate world than myself? :)

and yes, the mine i spoke of is cool, and you all would like it, and even though it's intended for reasons other than allowing more players to mine shale (why do you want to mine shale? *boggle*) it will accomplish your goal inadvertantly anyways :) Course, who knows when it comes in, but its in the works :)

And yes, i will continue to be vague on that, as Cele will hurt me if i tell :)

(Consider this an official "teaser")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:39 am 
Tri-Avatar

No. Vogar SUGGESTED that the mines reset every 6 hours. Me and Shira just didn't like the idea.

And I don't mine in shale. I mine in limestone =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:56 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

I mine in shale simply for the abundant amt of mitrill/cheap gems.

Weems might have a different opinion because he's mined in lime more than my lime miner has...but I don't see as much mitrill there either. Addy, shapphires/obsidians...but that's not what the high percentage of miners are mining for. Like most..they want to reforge crafts with Mitrill and learn new jewellery crafts. There is more of an abundance of cheap gems/Mitrill in Shale, than there are of sapphires/obsidians/Mitrill in lime. Correct me if I am wrong weems. =P

Last edited by Shira on Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:04 am 
Tri-Avatar

Actually, I mine in limestone for the meteorite. I couldnt give two craps about the sapphires, obsidians, or adamantite. You can get the adamantite just as fast in shalestone, and you can get better gems faster in epics.

But I dont bother much anymore, seeing how getting the meteorite takes an INCREDIBLE amount of work, and it SUCKS. It's barely even worth using, and it's certainly not worth the effort involved. I get pissed off just THINKING about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:52 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Honestly though, it really isn't that hard to mine to the pillar. It you actually addept shale before you go in, you can literally burn your way to the pillar. How do you addept shale first? Strip mine the mountains. The mine straight down from the noteboard and you will hit the pillar at 550.

Also why should it be easy to get to the pillar? I think mining is too damn easy these days. You guys don't have it half as rough as it use to be. You can look at the walls with your dwarf characters and see where to mine. Gems start popping in clay, instead of starting (at a much rarer pop rate) in limestone. Luck never use to go above 20 on your average character. You used to need Blacksmithing skill of 90% to mine reinforce in granite. You used to need 70% Blacksmithing skill to reinforce in shale. If you didn't reinforce, mining was a death sentence. This was before the world map and the ability to strip mine metals from the hills to help addept your crafts. What did that mean? It didn't matter if you had the pillar or not, you couldn't mine there till you earned the right too, not less you were prepared to die.

Anyway, just a flash back from a veteran miner who addepted under the old system, then re-addepted under the new one, and has still has steel ingots to prove it.

If you don't know what Contaminated Iron Ore is, then you are green behind the ears still and should respect your elders. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:58 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Oh I almost forgot to mention the crashes of the early days. Sometimes it crashed so often you just felt like sacing your picks as a faster way of breaking them. If you think 6 hours then a reset would be bad, imagine a mine in which you couldn't trust it not to reset once an hour. Yet we still managed to run Earth God now and then, and Shandar still managed to nearly addept jewelry under the old system. What you have now, is comparatively a heck of a lot better.

Mitrill.... I am starting to sound like Isabelle.... Mitrill help me.... :wink: