Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guilds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:52 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I just have a suggestion....mebbe some of the guilds should be gotten rid of ?
The guilds of which i speak are the ones with 1-6 members that have been around for a bit.. And for the newer ones just starting up maybe a probation periode for recruiting members....just suggestions again ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:57 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

This has always bothered me as well. Our general player base remains steady, sometimes growing, sometimes shrinking a bit, but we continue to have new guilds and there simply aren't enough players to support them all.

Maybe we need some sort of critiria for removing under-utilized guilds.

Post subject: Race
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:59 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Maybe upon creation of a guild, the creator of it is asked what they plan to gain as a following...and lets say 2months later are checked up on to see if they indeed have the players....and if not probation or warning...after that i dont know really :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:09 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I would begin recruiting for my current guild, but I'm trying to get a re-name for it, cause I came into posession of a guild, and would like to make it into what I want it to be, but 10 million gold seems like a psychotically steep price for a rename of a guild I already have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:17 pm 

Well while we're on the subject of guilds, I would like to resubmit the idea of combined guild chat. I.e. Allied guilds being able to share the same channel. Perhaps it could be activated through the setguild function.
Sorta like declaring war, you could type the command, and then the other guild would see, "(guild name) wants to activate allied guild chat!!"

That would rock. Especially if wars become more prevalent *hopes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:18 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I agree about the allied guild chat. Very good idea.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:41 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

yes please please please combine guild chat. it makes my life alot more easier!!!!

thanks

Post subject: guilds
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Although i agree at heart with what Jhereko says, there are a couple of things that sort make a decision like that difficult. My guild is a prime example of this, I have an RP guild, the Kialli, and very few ppl on DL RP and of those that do, not all want to RP my theme of course. I did have more members except they quit Dark Legacy or went idle. One person just wanted to delete that alt. And thats a trend that is occurring with i think every single RP guild in Alora. AA, BoTS, Kialli, EoE (Nymphai), Pirates. And the other thing is that it would be beyond rude to delete certain guilds that are someone elses possession. I would be beyond pissed if a Caretaker just said, ok Kialli has no members, and destroys it like that. Or even a probation period, Ive been going after RP-ers for a very long time now and done various recruitment notes on the boards.
Dont create an RP guild then says you. Well thats a possibility, but id die a little inside :( :wink: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:19 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

I don't think it'd really be fair to delete any guilds either, whether they have many members or not. As for too many new guilds, the 50 million gold cost pretty much puts a stopper on all new guilds being formed. Certain guilds prefer less members while others don't, and deleting any guild would probably annoy people if there wasn't a better reason for it.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:38 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

An allied guild chat would probably be fairly easy to implement, but doesn't address the problem that there's simply too many guilds for the player base. Even those that want a small tight knit group being taken into consideration, we have some that are just sitting around wasting space or jumbling the 'who' list.

I also wish to consider having a config option for a new who command, that strips out all the ugly (IMO) badges and just states what ranks the players are, and their guild name (Rather than, once again in many cases, ugly guild badge). It probably would strip out their 'title' as well. I find that titles, the custom guild ranks and badges, often make the current who command difficult to easily read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:06 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  ICQ  Profile

Ok, time for some input between hands of poker:

1) Too many guilds. Nothing I've seen before, but something I think I can help solve as far as being a problem. a) Take the guilds with few players and either condense them into one guild or ask the leaders who do log what should be done. b) most guilds have allies, so combine the smaller guilds with their allies. c) set a time limit and if the leaders of the guilds don't log within a certain time frame, delete the guild. Those that are left without one can still apply to other guilds, but when they do, they have to list what guild they were a part of that was deleted. It would be a good idea to get a roster of each guild before this happens, to ensure people aren't going to another guild under the false pretense that they were a part of a deleted guild.

I agree on the stripping of heinous guild badges as some of them are really, well, fugly. So are the titles where people put different colors in them, but they fail to show on 'who' as the actual colored title...maybe disable the amphersand usage in titles? Some guilds probably have a certain rank that deals with applicants, and it's hard to tell when their badge is something not showing of such a rank.

I hope that helps :)

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:37 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

Despite most of the previous notes, I don't think it is a good idea to delete the inactive guilds. Many guilds have their ups and downs. Even Guardian of Alora had their ups and downs. I understand that the mudbase population can not support all the guilds out there; however, there are also a large population of players who are guildless.

Revelation Heroes used to hoard all the retired people. Why? well because i'm an oldie and most of my friends are reitred so i try to keep them safely kept in my guild. However, alot of them were automatically outcasted because they didn't log on at least once a month. So my retirement theme kinda went dead. (i hope this will change)

You may ask how to get rid of guilds. One way to get rid of guilds is to offer partial refund to guild leaders. I don't think this is a bad idea, but i'm sure alot of people will protest. Either way, i do not support the idea of deleting inactive guilds without the guildleader's consent because eventhough it may be inactive, it is still the hardwork of someone and their achievement. That is something we all should respect.

A good way to encourage the guildless populatoin to join a guild is to make all guildless people deadly. Why? because being a guildless person is like being a homeless guy that belongs to no nations. You are not protected by any peace treaty or any governments. The same thing can be applied to a guildless person. This will encourage alot of guildless people to quickly find a guild because i'm confident that they don't want to get killed. In order for this to work is to grant 5 minutes safty time after someone is outcasted from a guild. This will prevent abuse. The last thing we want to see is someone to be outcasted simply so he can be killed. This idea also helps guildmembers to obey higher ranks or their guild leader. It definitely make the rank 9 player a lot more powerful. Also, it would also emphasize the importance of guilds. As of right now, guilds are useless to some people because everyone can get pretty much everything a guild can offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:30 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

I agree with the majority here, it's unfair to delete guilds for the various reasons that have already been posted. Concerning guild badges, I would say that is up to the leader (s) of the guilds on whether or not colors schemes / themes are allowed and what not. Agreed, if the badges are deemed inappropriate by the caretakers, then that matter can be taken up between the leader (s) and the caretakers. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:09 pm 

Oooh! Another topic I have a beef with.

Something like a year ago and then some, I created 'Midnight Souls'.

It was to be the sister clan to Blackraven, our PKer family.

Unfortunately PK in the MUD changed altogether, and my plans (along with my time and gold) were smited. It had become a ghost of an idea and that was the final straw for my retirement.

I think no guild should be deleted. NONE. I still own (as does Sardonyx and Ger) Midnight Souls. It is mine. If I wish to do something with it, I shouldn't have to worry about it being gone one day. I think there should be a 'hiatus' status for guilds not in use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:25 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

As I stated earlier i would be beyond pissed if my guild got deleted, even with only a "partial" reimb....even with a full reimb. Since this forum, including one of the Caretakers, has gotten pretty aggressive against inactive guilds, ill prob. go sell my soul and revoke my RP status, and that upsets me. As for badges, true RP guilds have no problem with "ugly or inappropriate" badges since its all thought out. Most other guilds leaders have also gotten the clue and now control badges. Most notably GoA.
Though i agree with the general principle of there being too many guilds, i cant say personally that i would rather see older inactive guilds like Amazons or Midnight Souls deleted instead of the newer ones because their status is just like mine. Not to mention the fact that because there is no guild standard, the sovereign/fledling list is very skewed. So basically, i dont think anything should be done to the current guilds. The current price on guilds is enough to sufficiently limit the number. There is no black and white to this. Nothing defines what is a good or bad guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:28 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

no guild should be deleted just because they're there collecting dust

its not like they're doing any harm on the guild list so whats the point of even discussing this? *shrugs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:37 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I don't see where a 'caretaker' has aggressively persued the deletion of inactive guilds. In fact, I never mentioned just outright deleting guilds, but merely offered (once) the suggestion of looking into some sort of criteria being required for guilds to stay around. After that, you all just spun it farther and farther into some sort of "omg the guilds are being deleted tomorrow" type speculation.

If putting up a "refund" would cause some people to drop their guilds, this would be a solution as far as I care. The point is that guilds keep expanding, and none ever get disbanded, even those that truly AREN'T really wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:43 pm 

Yeah, fix PK and my guild (which is STRICTLY RP based and would not function under current MUD status). My deadly guild is defunct because it was be a storyline based group, and I cannot do a damned thing with it now. And not by choice. If you can fix PK, I can make Midnight Souls an active guild. Until then, it sits where it is, and if it's deleted I will be so pissed because it's not even my fault.

Post subject: not entirely true
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:11 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

there are no deadly guilds, your guild can be as active as you want it to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:16 pm 

Do you not understand the premise of my post?

Midnight Souls is deemed, and will always be, deadly by nature. We have a few placer chars in there for now, but it, by storyline (RP is encouraged on this MUD, is it not) to be deadly. I would have scrap the entire guild. If I wanted a peaceful guild, I have Blackraven to turn to. What's the bloody point then to have a second peacie guild for Blackraven members? This very notion make my head hurt because it's simply dumb.

So unless PK comes back, Midnight Souls will remain dormant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:32 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

joralani, currently Forsaken and RH are at war, so basically, we are a deadly guild to each other. You may join the war too forsaken agrees to accept.

before you join the war, realize that this is a fun war. I don't want to see good things go bad like many times in the past.

these are some of the conditions for the war that Tekuna and I have thought of:

* allows a player to depart and retrieve corpse
* no unwanted resurrection
* no inappropriate insults
* yes to all battle tattics and skills that are designed by celeborn
* peace must be granted to the surrendered guild
* future changes mb implemented to make guildwars more enjoyable

basically use common sense.

also, those that wish to play, simply apply to forsaken. Forsaken needs some members,it's difficult to kill Souwan when he's never on.

Lingolas Escaflowne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:52 pm 

I appreciate the notion, Ling, but unless there's a benefit to PK, there's no point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:19 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Yes youre right Zeraphin, I was merely being melodramatic. There was a point to that somewhere :P Im basically just very dissapointed RP is so minimal here and not enough to power a guild. But I have a couple of ideas how to change the Kialli so itll mb get some more ppl going. It might work for Jorelani if he stopped living in the past... Wars are as deadly as DL is gonna get. You can decide between the warring factions if theres gonna be a prize or war reparations or whatever u wanna call it. Or ask Lingolas what he demanded of Legions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:10 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

This is in response to Laurana's message. I think it's a great idea to have a channel for those guilds who are allies. How about for those who are at war as well? Perhaps we can even remove the current 'war channel' and implement the other instead. Just a suggestion.

Post subject: guilds
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:46 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

I have this idea that is mostly aim to benefit me so read on if you don't mind.

I notice that Isabelle is still creating guilds for those that wish to open up their own guilds if they can demonstrate that they will not neglect their guild. As these new guilds are or will be poping up, the older inactive guilds will have less people and will be "deader" if they aren't already. I offer a solution to recycle guilds. Basically we have the option to sell our guild back to the caretaker. the caretaker will only reimburse a portion of the money back to the seller of the guild. This guild would then be destroyed and a new guild is created for someone who wants to open up a guild. This will keep the number of guilds constant. Also, it is an encourage dead guilds to give up their guilds.

to isabelle or zeraphin:
If you guys like this idea let me know, because I would like to sell Army. I have trouble taking care of too many guilds all at once. Besides, we dont have enough players to support all the guilds that are currently out there. If i'm not mistaken, Gaitika also wants to sell his guild.