Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Combat Moves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:25 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

After saying that Sai daggers were mostly pierce with possible slash damage i decided to post on a topic that I think quite a few experienced players would like to see: Combat moves that reflect different damage types. Right now theres jab, thrust and lunge. These however are exactly the same moves with more power in each respectively. Technically however, with any pointy weapon, you will be "piercing" the enemy.
Or if you have staff and you thrust you "poke" them actually and i couldnt imagine fracturing ppl's bones with a hard poke. Thats why i suggest either coding multiple damage types into weapons that make sense or code damage types into more combat moves (this is probably easier) and only allow those extra moves with certain weapons. So lets say for a sword you get the normal jab, thrust, lunge that now give pierce damage. Then you get cut, slash, cleave for example that do slash damage with the same proportions as the jab type action. Another thing this allows for is the increased use of knee, elbow and all the other non-weapon skills for blunt damage.
This could only work for several weapon types that allow for different uses. For example, daggers are mostly pierce but you can cut with them of course...but you wouldnt be able to cleave. Or with a spear thats also mostly jab work and you couldnt really see any slash damage happening, so you take that out but allow spears to be "twirled", sort of like a weaker multistrike that does slash damage. Im too lazy to make a list of all the weapons and describe what they can do, but you get the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:13 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

sounds like a great idea.

Cut (a weak slash):
swords
daggers
axes
sickles
...(anything that has a blade)

Jab (anything that has a pointy end):
daggers (causes pierce damage = bleeding. Weak but fast)
swords (same, but more damage than a dagger. Also slower than a dagger)
staves (causes blunt damage and possiably piercing if the damage check is high enough)
trident (causes tripple pierce damage per hit. amplification of damage. VERY SLOW because it takes a long time to remove the trident from the body of the opponent. easily stuck in the metal armors. )
Things that can not be jabbed are axes, hammers, sickles, scythes...

Lunge:
hammer = crushing/blunt damage.
axes = slash damage
swords = slash damage
daggers trident, sickles will not work

you get the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:06 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Yeah for example. Cept heres where the problems start like i suspected, dealing with the definitions of moves and the weapons themselves.
thrust: To pierce or stab with or as if with a pointed weapon.
lunge: A sudden thrust or pass, as with a sword.
jab: To poke or thrust abruptly:
These are the same moves but with a different degree of power behind them. So a lunge with an axe would def. not do any slash damage and only pierce damage if you have one of those cool sharp spikes on the top.
The idea about tridents with triple pierce damage might help make it more interesting and different "special" properties or moves can be thought of to make things like spears or whatever actually useful. For example with weapons with a long weapon shaft, maybe a reverse blow. For example you have a scythe or a spear and you use the butt of the weapon to make a 'staff-like' move where u thwap the dude with the end of the weapon causing blunt damage. Or with weapons with a butt, like a sword, you can jab the butt-end into an opponent, presumably the face, to give a slight 'headbutt' effect. (Could do the same for the 'reverse' move)
It all depends on how far you go, a skill like parry could be enhanced for example if you have a weapon with a crossguard or some other property that would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:52 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Over a year ago I ran something simular to this past Celeborn. I actually made up a large chart (which I might have saved someplace) for all the weapons. An example might be:

Axe:
Blunt damage: 50%
Slash damage: 45%
Pierce damage: 5%
Favored style: Aggresive

Celeborn actually liked the idea very much at the time. Not a clue what became of any of it. My guess is that it was too involving to code without all that great a benefit for him.

I personally think that if we coded in damage percents into weapons we could then code in commands like:

Jab: quick pierce attack
Thrust: regular pierce attack
Lunge: heavy pierce attack

Slice: quick slash attack
Slash: regual slash attack
Hack: heavy slash attack

Hit: quick blunt attack
Pound: regular blunt attack
Smite: heavy blunt attack

Those commands would then base their damage directly from the weapons damaging abilities. An axe would be mostly useless in the attempts with a pierce attack, for instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:38 am 
Dual-Avatar

an interesting idea, but maybe we should balance combat more before we further complicate it?

Post subject: btw
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:49 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

just so you know, the code for this already exists, basically, even from like stock smaug i believe.. Fight with a longsword, it will do two different types of cuts, randomly :)

or at least it used to :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:56 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Yes, I remember that, but BOTH did slash damage didn't they?

Anyway, the idea in my mind is to make it more realistic as far as nothing is purely one kind of physical damage. Everything is always a combination of blunt, pierce, and slash. I feel that either an axe "chop" should do mixed damage, and/or you should be able to select which type you were trying for with your weapon.

Post subject: yup
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:23 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yeah, sounds fine to me, i just wanted to mention that a basic form of it already existed.

i do believe that the randomness would need to be there though.

Like ok, you have an axe, and you set your style to be blunt, but theres a good chance in the heat of battle that your axe twists, and you end up lopping off their head :)

(rather than the intended smacking them in the head with the flat side)

pierce should be pierce
slash should get confused
blunt should get confused - unless its a staff, then always be blunt :)

hows that for complexity :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:48 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Well, I kinda disagree with the pierce deal. Unless you are being attacked by a screwdriver, icepick, or needle, there will always be a little bit of slash going on too. Also, can't you scratch or tear someone with a screwdriver or icepick? Is that slash or is that pierce damage then? What if that screwdriver hits armour or something solid? Isn't it blunt damage now?

As you can see, this could all become quite complex if one really want to spend the time working on it. I do agree with Nuitari, there are other things that were already started, that should be finished first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:41 am 

This is all so complicated... why not just go back to automated combat? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:16 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Uhh I think the point (at least mine) was that it wasnt complicated enough and/or not realistic enough. My point was if youre gonna make combat manual which im all for, you might as well have it reflect the complexity of real hand-to-hand combat. To be honest id like to get all the combat moves into the game and not have it automated. Parrying and shield blocking should be automatic since you cant "see" the attack coming, but the game should have moves like ripostes after parries and stuff. Or even allowing for combination moves that might increase the use of rather pointless (at the moment) skills like elbow and stuff. For example, jab followed up with an elbow. You could possibly increase the damage of the elbow by linking it with the roll of that jab attack with the roll of the elbow as a modifier. So the better the jab, the better the chance for a good kick. Since the victim is left more vulnerable after a better attack.
However I do think that making things complex should be optional. Especially for newbies who will be put off by ripostes and combo attacks, especially since the game is already so "hard". So if possible it should be a config option. I dont know how youd balance the two tho. Mb im just ranting overzealously, but at least i made it clear that i dont think its "complex" at all, specially dealing with just the damage aspects of weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:30 pm 

Those are advanced moves and tactics and should be "learned" later on. Have them read Sun Tzu or something... ;)