Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The problems of magic.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:50 pm 
It's been talked about before (I'm sure), but a fruitless search of the forum caused me to start a new thread.

I've noticed that our world has a fairly fluid history, but that the history of the world doesn't translate well into the areas around the map. This isn't aplaint about the work being done on each area, as I'm sure it's quite time-intensive - rather, I'm proposing that we update the storyline and the area fluff to more accurately reflect each other. As it stands, many areas seem like "pocket worlds" that don't acknowledge each other in any respect.

Originally I thought that each area could be re-written to fit it with the history of our world - but each area was written by someone who probably wouldn't like their workpletely redone. I propose minor changes in the room descriptions for each area, so that they reference areas and mobs that we have in the game instead of places and people who don't appear anywhere else in the story. The word thates to mind is continuity, and if the purpose of the game is to provide entertainment for players (regardless of experience), the addition of continuity is a must.

I propose we connect the world in three ways

1.) Continuity of people

2.) Continuity of places

3.) Continuity of things

Continuity of people has been addressed rather well by Vogar with his idea of three "nations" of races. For those of you who don't quite remember, here is his idea

Vogar Eol wrote My racial splits were this

1. Pixies, Elves, Humans, Phasian ( 'clean' races)

2. Dwarves, Gerps, Gnomes, Halflings (not affraid of dirt or work)

3. Troll, Ogres, Orc, Lizardmen (must be house-trained)

The first set of races was too surround the basic area of Tarsonis. The second Midian. The third, the lava pits and desserts out by Caverns.