Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vampires
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:42 am 

Various vampire ideas, since they're the forgotten race.

ideas:
Blood Lust - Like a vampire's unholy avenger, when casted on a weapon it permanently makes the weapon vampire only, and restores some of the vampires blood points on critical hits(with exception of undead, and structures). cost: 55 bloodpoints, blood complexity 25.

Plague - Since vampirism is considerd a disease... this spell lowers the enemys fortitude roll, according to how many fecs are added to the spell. Cost: 10BP(unfeced), blood complexity 15.

Rot - This spell is from the vampires undead side, when casted at an enemy it lowers their regeneration. Cost 25BP(unfeced), blood complexity 20

Vampire Deity - Lamiara(or Lamiath if male deity). This is the deity of vampires. exiled like the vampires, this deity is at war with all others.

Temple of flesh - if a vampire deity is added, temple of flesh could be a recall to it's temple( and the only way to reach it). instead of the current very weak fear effect.
the temple would be considered indoors, no sunlight.

EPIC - every 6 or so epic levels should give 1 bp. 60bp isn't much for epic.

Broken Stuff:
Summon Guardian - (looking into it. it used to summon skeleton(rat), regardless of complexity which was far beyond useless)

Lifetap - unless there's some super hidden secret to it, this is the most useless vamp spell of them all, why would i waste time lifetaping, when i could easily feed in less time AND get more blood.

Disadvantage Ideas:
Turn undead - i hate to say it, but first class clerics should be able to damage vampire players with turn undead(greatly harm, not instantly kill)

Holy Avenger - paladins using one should have a extra bonus vs vampires.

and well i have a question. why was create blood changed? you used to fec it, to get more drinks so you could reach 60bp, but now you can't even drink out of a skull unless your very low on bp. why was that spell degraded? it was the only vamp spell that Worked.

<rant ahead>
eh, well sorry if that comes off as blunt but in the entire time i played i never seen a change benefiting vamps, and in the time i was gone they got broken even more. and since noone wants to play the broken affliction, it never gets new ideas, never gets commented on(except by people who haven't played one fully), it just whittles away slowly. as far as i know there's only 4 full time vampires left, who have all quit or play very rarely. thank goodness the [non-vampires] restriction on gear doesn't work, that'd be the finishing stake in the heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:32 pm 

night advantages: regen, armor, combat(as said in the vampire help file). they're all broke. so are the day disadvantages(except for Sunlight)

if the temple idea is added, perhaps vampires could depart to there instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:18 am 

I've never seen vampirism done right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:17 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Jorelani wrote:
I've never seen vampirism done right.

Then why don't you try adding to the discussion, so you CAN see it done right, instead of saying pointless things like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:13 pm 

First off, it's not pointless. It's infers that vampirism is rather hard to translate into a game medium. Your post, however, is pointless, because you added no content to this thread whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:14 am 

dl hass the best version i've seen it done so far, i still think it's a neglected area though.

Post subject: My 2cents
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:32 pm 

Another broken point of vamps- The help file says they can heal using bp, Ive not been able to do so outside the heal spell.

But, I like the temple idea, as well as most of the spell ideas listed above.
the only spell i would like to see added that is not listed would be a spell to make a sinlge room night for a short while(somethign like control weather)

Also, I think that both bloodlet and feed should be skills you need to practice like scan or dodge. The higher your percentage, the mor elikely and mroe successful you are.
for feed at higher percentages it should do more damage and give more bp.
Bloodlet should make a pool of blood that lasts longer as the skill nears adept, and at lower levels can lose bps completely,(it sprays over the ground and doesn't make a puddle or whatever)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:25 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Vampirism is not a class, and its skills are not class skills. Making them such would mean the need to use ANOTHER skill point each time you were vamped to relearn the vampire skills from the last time you were bloodpurged. Such is extremely inconvient, if not down right insane.

Vampires do heal from their bloodpoints. When knocked below 0hp "The beast within stirs" causing them to regain conciousness, losing BP equal to the HP needed to wake up. It is incredibly useless, as it doesn't work if you drop below about -10 HP or so. However, yes they do heal from their BP.

Vampism is also a curse, and an extremely bad one at that. A human under "The Void" starsign can be just as easily turned into a vampire as anyone else in the game. It can be done by accidentally fighting a vampire. It can be done by an arena battle with a vampire. It can be done by an illegal attack on the character. Are these things that the Voider can control? Not completely, no.

What are the effects of Vampirism on a Voider? First of all, they don't gain any spells. They can't use magic. They don't gain the use of BP instead of Mana, because they don't use mana either. What they gain is the ability to recieve about 125dmg from the sun every couple seconds. No big deal huh? Well can a Voider heal himself with magic? No. He can use some potions, and he can use Bard songs. However thats not always enough. Lets say you die in battle, or via the sun out in the open. A Voider can not be resurrected when he dies. This means he must depart. Now when he departs he has all of about 1hp and just seconds to heal before the sun kills him again. Where is his corpse and gear? Far away. What if he does not have enough favor to supplicate it? I once died 7 times trying to recover my corpse with my Voider vamp. Eventually I had to give up, and lose the gear.

No big deal, everyone hates Voiders anyway. So why not make the only way to cure vampirism a spell? Heck, lets make vampirsim persist after character death too. Oh, and be sure that zapped Bloodpurge jewelry, or bloodpurge potions don't work on Voiders too.... Getting the idea? Voiders are permently vampires after being bitten, gaining only heavy negatives. Is not the life of a Voider tough enough without having to worry about some cruel bastard vamp'ing you? What about people that suffered all the way into epic with a Voider, then have the character permently "ruined"?

There should be a non-magical way to cure vampirism. Either that or current Voiders could be cured, and Voiders made impossible to turn. It just kinda seems fair it should be one or the other...

Editted months latter to add:
Azure potions and vials now cure vampirism.
Will cure even a voider.
Will cure a vampire immune to bloodpurge.
Side-effect is heavy damage ( simular to black potion)

Last edited by Vogar Eol on Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: my 2cents
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 am 

good points, Ouch on the voiders though.

There should eb a nonmagical way for them to be purged, or else they should be immune to vampirism as a whole.

Also, for people who insist on vamping, bloodpurging, and re-vamping- well, they should be hung from their toenails to very tall poles and left out to dry in teh sun.
Vampirism, as a CURSE should no tbe something you use simply to level, then bloodpurge, then relevel. By having these take practice points lowers teh appeal of vampirism, thus encouraging the fact that it is BAD, and should not simply be used as a levelling tool.

Maybe their should only be one or two mobs who can change people into vamps. Or maybe people who find them so dangerous should simply stay clear away from them. How many people visit 'The manor' anymore to level? there has to be somewhere else to go, just like my example.

I do agree with the duel thing though. Possibly a config option or an item to prevent to spread of the desease? I mean, if there were some eice of equipment someone coudl wear to prevent them from giving someone else the desease.

Post subject: vampire balance idea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:14 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

each spell has complex added , i mean you add fec's, dur's, tar's, etc. if you pass 30(DC) you use about 15 blood points, i agree vampire need upgrade in complexlity :blood and maybe tone down the blood uses Example: the spell "word of recall" and it cost 2 BP. i think vampire need more adjustment and balances in complexility over all. Each spell take a large amount of BP when the complexlity goes up. Vampire need better balance like each +7 complex is 1 BP add to the base spells or add a converter. Mana convert to BP Example: each 20mana equal 1 bp and for the blood points let it be unlimited :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:26 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

or rather, a valuable lesson /to go/ 'hey wonder what this does, *quaff* :)

they would have never ever found that out, i think most players think theres only 3 potions out there, deep red, light red, and black :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:20 am 

Nod. Because there's very little use for them. The armor is so full of infinite affects, why spell up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:14 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

Rathnor, who do you think helped convinced Celeborn to add that potion? Who also posted the info inside a different topic the very instant he found out about it? The date on my post was before they worked.