Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Idea on how to make a PK system
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:33 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

This is a reply of mine from the crime syndicate/ cities thread:

Here's what I'm thinking:
Two Planes of existence (Umbra and real world, ethereal plane and material plane, dead world live world, what have you)

And the characters who go into this "vortex" can shift between the two "planes".

In an attempt to explain wtf I'm talking about: here's an Example:

Tidal, a Human born under the sign of the Shield, as part of an RP I've decided that he was a rag-tag no good kid off the streets and I'm gonna make him a PvP player. So I enter the VORTEX which tears at my soul and bodily coils. And so (at will) I can go into this Umbral realm which has no interaction with the Material realm, even though they're pretty much the same, and I can walk around in this Umbral realm, and in the Umbral Realm I can kill other "Umbrals" and fight etc. But nothing is seen by the Materials, however, at certain spots where the Umbral is strongest/Material Realm is weakest I can cross back into the material Realm (for instance if I want to go leveling with some of my "Material Realm" friends). Only Problem is, nothing of the Material Realm can be brought to the Umbral realm and Vice Versa, so I'd need two sets of different EQ. And in the material realm, if a murder occurs, there are stiff penalties incurred, whereas in the Umbral Realm, jack happens. This would let people cater to their bloodthirsty side, prevent people from having uber peacies make uber gear and give it to their little deadly alts (which is something I always considered lame and pathetic, if you're going to be a deadly gather and make your crap as a deadly).

So Tidal throws himself into the vortex, gathers gear in the Umbral Realm, goes back to the Material realm, gathers together gear there. That way if he wants to level with friends who are peacies he can, and when he wants to go hunting he can.

Only forseeable problem is people leaving umbral to go leveling etc and then popping into umbral to pick someone off, then back to material. Perhaps a 2 hour mandatory Online timer before you can "realm jump" again? Any suggestions?

I believe something along those lines was mentioned a while back, though I can't remember by whom. I've just fine tuned it because I would still want to be able to kick it with Peacies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:09 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I posted an idea like this about a year and a half ago, butmy idea was a little more simple:

config +pk
config -pk

make a cooldown period on it so you have to stay pk for x hours and you cant re pk for x hours.

your idea does sound cooler than that though. maybe they'd go for it with a more rp point of view than just another config?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:05 am 

so you'd have to have a bunch of crafting chars who were all in the umbreal realm in order to get the eq that you would want....

I think the general idea is alright, but I doubt many people are going to want to get whole new chars for crafting.. and it's not like there are a lot of deadlies that will craft for other deadlies..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:12 am 

If a PKer wanted to be able to craft items, they'll just have to adapt.

Or, here's an idea. Not even let PKers wear crafted crap (sic). They must survive on mob equipment. That sounds more appealing to me. It helps breed MUD familiarity. I know still of one piece of equipment only a handful know exists (not counting immortals). And every one of them is a Blackraven. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:34 pm 

hm... well. I wouldn't say something like that, because you don't know if others know that it exists unless you ask them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:23 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

there's no logical reason why PK'ers shouldn't be able to wear crafted eq, though granted it would increase mud familiarity and would probably be very fun, I think crafted should stay. And besides Tuler, the point to PK isn't to sit around on your pasty arse making gear, though you could, and it would be beneficial to do so, it's to kill eachother, and spending time gathering mobile gear would make you much safer than sitting around in one spot all day crafting gear. And I imagine there would be pk'ers willing to sell their eq to other people...it would just cost a lot more >:D So yes, if someone wanted to have certain types of gear, they WOULD have to spend time crafting in the PK realm :).

And Meh, it's only a little like a config option, it makes you have to be in one "version of reality" when you're doing the killing, and no eq or anything (except the unremovable crap like spellbooks) can travel with you during this cross over. And because of the effects and stresses that realm jumping has on a person, they can't Realm Jump for 2+ online hours. (I suggest no houses whatsoever in this umbral realm, or no lockable doors on player structures in the umbral realm, at the very least). I don't like someone being able to "config +" Deadly, it should be a permanent thing. Making a player have seperate sets of eq would mean that he or she would need to spend a certain amount of time in the alternate reality working on that second set.

Perhaps, there could be a "deadly" leveling system? For instance for every person you kill you get a certain amount of XP from that? Anyone 10 levels or more below you gives you 1 XP. but if you kill someone 10 levels or more above you you'd get like 1000xp. And these deadly levels only occur in the Umbral realm? like in the Prime Material Realm you might be a 50/50/50 e 134 badass...But in the Umbral Realm you're a DeadlyLevel 2 pansy-arse coward, almost like a kinshap kinda thing I guess, where you morph into a weakling because you haven't had the cajones to do some fighting (and maybe have the mobiles only give you 1/2 the exp as they do in peacful realm, so you can level without having to kill other players, it's just harder).

Also- further suggestions include making it an option you choose at lvl 1 before gaining any experience.

Any other suggestions are welcome