Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Skill Ideas
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:32 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I have an idea for a new skill, this one would be for warriors and paladins:

Some kind of taunt skill to draw the monsters aggression towards the taunter, that way you could have a main tank and he would take the hits and draw the mobs agression, that way if a mob was hurting the weaker members of the party the warrior could draw the mob off.

Post subject: uh huh
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:45 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

so, the various styles (evasive versus berserk or aggressive), and the rescue skill are not good enough to powerlevel a newb? :)

and, if you yelled at an dragon in the heat of battle, in common, while the dragon is about to feast on your little friend that you're powerlevelling, would it understand you? or would it just hear gibberish, and ignore you :)

Or, maybe if you are fighting a troll, and taunt in common or pixie, with it not knowing what you have said, would it possibly think, YEAH! he's cheering me on! *Troll grins at avestifal, and does a weird scooping motion, swinging "newbie" up into the air, followed by a pike to the abdomen, YES! newbie on a stick! Troll tosses avestifal his little newbie friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:09 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

A) It's comments like these that blur the lines as to whether or not a person is making an accusation or insulting a person, but I'm going to assume that you meant "you" in a proverbial sense, since I've never powerleveled anyone. And the only thing I can even think of that might be considered illegal leveling was the time I was grouped with a peacie while permadeath and I was in aggro, but the peacie was in aggro too, and the mobs liked him better, so I was asked to stop. I will also assume I'm correct in this assumption.

B) I meant you'd have to be grouped with them in order to taunt their monster sorry for not clarifying. Thus the little newbie would not be able to get exp anyway.

C) I agree a troll that speaks only troll shouldn't understand pixie.

D) And what rescue does for a person in your team is back them up, and some people don't like that and get whiney (weirdos)

E) I find that styles don't always matter, sometimes the mobs attack them anyway

F) It was jsut a thought, mostly to get a thread of skill idea's started.

Post subject: k
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:44 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

it wasnt an attack on you, i dont attack people unless they directly insult me :) so no worries.

However, rescue nearly always places you in front of the other player, anti tank code usually tries to correct this, but rescue does indeed work.

and yeah, the rest of what i said was just food for thought, a taunt should not always work, and it may occassionally do the opposite of what was intended, and with the languages, if the opponent can't understand you, it wouldnt be offended.
or, if the creatures intelligence was low (say a snake or bunny rabbit) - what would it care if you yelled profanities at it about its mother? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:20 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I thought so, but initially I was like "what's she saying?!"

I know from experience that even while tanking on big mobiles if I rescue some of my party members they nip at my heels for rescuing them and making them have to adv. Usually this is just an issue with those who trigger fight in my experience so I have no real desire to care, but they are my party members and I try to keep things harmonious.

So perhaps like a "low blow" skill would work better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:25 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I know this isn't a "skill" but it's a new spell, it could be a skill though.

A clerical skill:

Stitch wounds- Stops bleeding from severed limbs, scratches

Spell: Close wound- Stops bleeding from severed limbs, scratches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:40 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Regenerate?

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:43 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

he wants to stop wounds using magic, that any magic user could cast, basically a 1 complexity type regenerate :)

however, since bandages and splints are readily available for all, i personally would not stand behind the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:44 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Seems a step below regenerate. It only closes the wound, not regenerating/unfracturing. It would likely speed this up though, like bandages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:45 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Hrm...my last post reminded me...you can already just make bandages and use them with the 'bandage' skill :P so I don't get the point of this skill/spell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

how would a "bandage" spell help? :P

Post subject: it wouldnt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:40 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

except for the lazy player that is, who doesnt want to take the time to make bandages. combine scissors cloth is after all, work?

whereas "cast bandage" requires no brain activity :)

i think thats what it comes down to :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:23 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yes yes lazy player blah blah all fine and good, however I'm sure there've been times when you were bleeding so fast and quickly that you couldn't get it out of a portal in time, or where you've acidentally run out, or, in the end, you can't find a pair of scissors anywhere. And lets face it, how many newbies do you know of who take the time to go out and make those bandages, or who even know they exist until they're already bleeding. Or, to combine the two, Even know they exist and then take the time out to go grab these? In my experience it's usually lowbies of other char's who go out and do the whole bandage and splint thing, with the exception of a rare few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:59 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I hate to say it but i cant believe youre sticking up for the idiot noobs Avest :P If theyre too dumb to stockpile bandages, u want to make it easier by giving them a skill for it? If you cant regen then you should always have bandages ready to go, and if youre out...you should have thought of that :)
How bout making a bandage/splint skill that determines the success of being bandaged or perhaps how many bandages need to be used for a wound, if its big?, if its poisoned? % is based on class type. Possibly based on the class config list in help weapon skill? Melee, hybrid (melee), hybrid (magic), magic. With the obvious exception that clerics get the highest % anyway. So from high to low, magic to melee since casters usually dont have their hands full, and arent at the front lines mostly. And you could give this skill to all classes but range it from lev. 1 skill for Clerics to lev. 20 mb for warriors? less mb if u wanna help out newbies. Not that they use bandages anyway, but that just means they need to learn about it...*cough* newbie school *cough* :)
I wouldnt limit the % of the skill very much to the melee ppl but you could make it a bit harder to adept. Since veteran warriors (broad sense) have prob. picked up a thing or to at the doctor's and can perform battlefield healing skills at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:25 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Wouldnt poisons take more then a bandage to get rid of? :)

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:15 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

bandages and an antidote will help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:59 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

We were all idiot newbs at some point for some amount of time in our lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:37 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Of course we were, but back then u didnt even get stuff like that..bandages are already an improvement. besides back then ppl said go buy potions, i said wheres the shops, tarsonis, and i was done. ppl say get bandages, how? read help bandages, it should be ok done. Not nah, ill just spam for heals...so lets reward them with a bandage-type spell/skill? no way.

The others brought up a good pt with the whole poison thing, they dont affect wounds tho, but the other things like petrification and the red cursed-type bleeding do need a bit more than a bandage to heal. Unfort. for newbie-lover over here ;) hehe, that requires more thought and preparation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:56 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

OK I believe the shop: 'The Young Adventurer's Necessities' next to Bolo, should sell bandages, splints, red potions, blue potions, green potions and all sorts of other stuff that adventurers need.

Post subject: Huh?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:41 am 
:o um... call me stupid, but what is a green potion? :?:
and thx to the rest of yall, i didnt know how tomake bandages but now i can use them. :D