All times are UTC

What area type do you enjoy the most?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:43 pm
Costum build areas (like the academy) 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
World map 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Epics 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Combination or See Below Post 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: What area type do you enjoy the most?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:43 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

I am curious of what area type everyone enjoys playing the most.

Last edited by Celeborn on Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:50 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I prefer quest areas. Real quests where you actually do something other than just kill two mobs (ie: not Galin's Quest). Unfortunately, not many of those on here...and I guess they constitute multiple areas when there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:05 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quintos wrote:
I prefer quest areas. Real quests where you actually do something other than just kill two mobs (ie: not Galin's Quest). Unfortunately, not many of those on here...and I guess they constitute multiple areas when there is.

Prior to the world's current "Super Powerful, Mobiles Will Fall Dead in Fear" state, Galin's required several hours of work and at least 4 tri-avatars :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Otherwise, I feel we need all three times.

We need some static areas, for cities and such, and the world map to act as the connecting network. Then we could drop in epic-style generated areas all over the world map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:22 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  ICQ  Profile

I have to agree with Quintos, I'm fond of quest-themed areas. However, from a builder standpoint, these areas need constant maintaining and upkeep. UNless you make an area that's expansive enough to accomodate a change here and there, you have to constantly make up new quests to integrate into the area and be willing to make the changes as soon as word is out on how to complete the quest.

I think epic areas are a little too 'determinable'...meaning that you can determine right away how to get through and thus, are provided with little to no challenge except for the avoidance of a boulder/slab here or there. I think epics could have a bit more challenge to them than killing a mobile and obtaining what they get, plus the detrapment in some of the dungeons.

World areas are nice in that it gives a little more excitement, but even then, these areas are either abused by older players trying to profit from a mobile in it or are never explored because another area similar to it is the most popular area. Level changes, programming changes, etc are good...but just like quest areas, these are in constant need of upkeep.

I'd actually like to see a combination of all three areas...have a few areas specially for epic level characters with a story line to it and enough of a challenge. Seth's is ok for this, I assume (however, I've never run Seth's Fortress on here) but at the rate that it is now, it's very difficult for someone to get through. You'd need a large gathering and with the schedules most players have, you need alot bigger of a pbase to accompany this.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:54 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

definitely the world map. I'm still maze by it.

areas maps are ok, but not impressive.

epic maps used to be great, but now they are very difficult to navigate. the new epic map has been in for months now but i still have not gotten used to it. the old epic map was so much nicer and easier to navigate.

quest areas are nice, but they get old after awhile. In order to have a successful quest area, it needs to be very good. the description has to make the players feel like they are actually there.

World map: the world map is beautiful. There are so much potential with what can put put in it. When you are traveling in the world map, you actually feel like you're playing a highly advanced game. the world map seperates this mud from all other muds that i've tried out while darklegacy went loopy.

Lingolas.

Post subject: i would like..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:46 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i'd like to build areas which resemble worldmap/epic dungeons, tree's, swamps, etc, and have random encounters, and have room descriptions in them :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:47 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Different areas have their diff. purposes of course, its the quality of the story/plot/quest that makes it memorable to me.
One example is Legacy of Xchantharus. It actually has pretty much all types of uses, except possibly levelling. And the story is great, not to mention the quality of such a huge area.
Areas like this and the sewer for example have so much more to them than meets the eye. Its worth exploring and going there, which is essentially what every area needs to accomplish, which many do not. Like Tullfurzkhy manor or crystal skull palace in my opinion.

When nations come in I would like to see more villages and cities on the world map. Youd have to create a purpose for them of course. Though I dont know how nations will be run or determined, villages and cities in various nations could have some impact on the balance of things. For example, the more items sold in the village/city increases the prosperity of the nation, etc. So that includes more visitors, mb amount of villagers, resources gathered in the area. This a pretty vague idea as you can see but its food for thought hopefully.