Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rogues: Backstab and Steal
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:57 am 

I am asking that Rogues be given Equilibrium at the same level Warriors get it in order to replace Steal.

Steal and Backstab are the two primary abilities of rogues. To be blunt, those things and picking locks is what makes a rogue a thief. I like Multistrike and Tumble, and they are incredibly useful skills, but it doesn't change the fact that Steal has been completely disabled, and Backstab is crippled by the fact that most mobs will see you if sneaking, and only a rogue with potions, Shadow starsign, or another class which can use magic can become invisible. Even invisibility can be seen through by higher level mobs, making Backstab relatively useless except for first class Shadows.

Since a primary ability of Rogues (Steal) has been taken away, they deserve a replacement. The Warrior skill of Equilibrium fits well with the whole concept of rogues as fast, dextrous, and hard to hit, and I think that the concept of Equilibrium fits well with such skills as Dodge, Tumble, Circle, Multistrike, and Dual Wield.

Although Backstab is a problem, the thing causing the problem has nothing to do with the skill itself. The problem is that mobs will see you. However, Rogues also have Gouge and Circle, skills allowing them to blind an opponent and then get behind the opponent. Perhaps Backstab could be changed so that it can work after combat has begun if the opponent is blinded, or blinded and then succesfully circled around?

Please, I hope that Rogues get a replacement for Steal of some kind, as taking a skill from a class is unbalancing unless something is given in return. I personally think Equilibrium would be perfect, but plan on learning the ways of the Rogue regardless.

Thank you very much,
Shen ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:45 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Then in that case I think warriors should get to have multistrike...

Each class has their own special skills. Just multiclass to get the benefit of both.

Also if somehow rogues got equilibrium, then other people are gonna want other skills from other classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:06 pm 

Warriors didn't get a skill DISABLED. I'm just asking for a replacement, and it's a lot easier if the imms add an existing skill than create a new one.

So no, I don't think warriors should get multistrike. If you want to be a warrior with multistrike, be a ranger. Warriors are tanks, and rangers and rogues are speed freaks. If you have a suggestion for a different skill to replace Steal, please make one, but I'm not asking for Rogues to have more skills; I'm asking for them to have the same number of skills that they had before. One of them was seen as abusive, and taken away, but nothing was given in return. I'm not asking them to disable a Warrior skill, am I? How would you feel if you had a skill, maxxed it out, and then it was removed from the game? Would you like losing Spin? I just want a replacement.

Shen ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:22 am 
 E-mail  Profile

If you want equilibrium be a warrior, its as simple as that.

Post subject: The point
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:14 pm 

Dourht, Equilibrium ISN'T THE POINT. Kia actually suggested a new skill. The POINT is that steal needs to be replaced since it was disabled. I know you look like a troll or an orc, so here's a bone saw to get it through your head:

EQUILIBRIUM IS NOT THE POINT.
EQUILIBRIUM IS NOT THE NAME OF THE THREAD.

THE POINT IS THAT STEAL NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

Get it?

Shen ^_^

Post subject: Re: Rogues: Backstab and Steal
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:46 am 
 E-mail  Profile

rfive wrote:
I am asking that Rogues be given Equilibrium at the same level Warriors get it in order to replace Steal.

Looks like it to me.

But i understand that you want steal replaced, but it was taken away because of abuse. I thought there was a thread somewhere about just making steal usable on Mobs, and if it could be used on players it would just steal gold. I cant seem to find it. But i remember people talking about it.

Oh and im a half-orc, get it right.

Post subject: Re: Rogues: Backstab and Steal
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:18 am 
 YIM  Profile

Dourht wrote:
rfive wrote:

Looks like it to me.

But i understand that you want steal replaced, but it was taken away because of abuse. I thought there was a thread somewhere about just making steal usable on Mobs, and if it could be used on players it would just steal gold. I cant seem to find it. But i remember people talking about it.

Oh and im a half-orc, get it right.

http://forums.dark-legacy.com/viewtopic.php?t=936&highlight=

Post subject: Dourht
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm 

Sorry. It's hard to tell from the picture. And hey, if steal works, then backstab sucks and oh well. But it's listed as disabled; like I said, I just want a replacement. Equilibrium was merely the most appropriate skill I could find, as it focuses on speed. Kia suggested something that increases balance recovery when used, and the effect slowly ramps down. I didn't see that skill, and like I said: Equilibrium was merely a suggestion because it seemed the most appropriate. I didn't ask for Spin. ^_^

Hoping that a Caretaker posts,
Shen ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:46 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

just an idea but cant just rogues use other skills like blackjack and backstab, just tweak them a little?
im sure if you blackjack someone, they lose about complexity.
when i did use blackjack it is overpower in the sense you lose close to 90% of your complexity, of course you regain it over time. but i was thinking on the idea of use blackjack during battle/fighting and tweak it so you dont lose so much complexity.
My guessing here.

10-30% sound fair unless you want u dont want to use this idea.