Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Various Stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:07 am 
Various suggestions, long post.

Classes:

Ranger
Summoning complex is awful. The only spell that has a use at 50 is phantom steed, and even then it's shortlived. The summon spells are ok for leveling but beyond that they're useless.

Bows and crossbows need to be 99% for rangers.

If they were just meant to be a class for newbies to level up with and explore with easily, they serve that purpose perfectly. But almost anyone with previous experience in DL will never choose ranger as one of their tri-av classes.

Druid
Earthquake needs a damage tweak. It can't hit flyers or players(because every player flys) and fecs doesn't have much effect on it.

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a lack of nature spells in general.

Bard
Bardic Empathy seems to be broken.

Instruments are a huge drawback for bards. Once you start using epic weapons the enchant space is very high on them. If you hold a instrument in your hand you're losing a massive amount of space and all kinds of stats. Additionaly, if you're a melee class it's lowering your damage since you can most likely dual-wield. If you're a caster who typicly doesn't hold items in your hand, you're getting a longer cast time because of instruments.

I don't have a solution for the last 2 problems instruments cause, but i have a band aid for first one. Make instruments craftable. Same enchant space as a weapon of the same level and material.

Races:

Zion
Telepathy doesn't seem that special to me, maybe it has some hidden use i don't know about, but right now it just seems to make zion a poor race selection.

Phasian
I might have some phasian bias ahead, but hopefully not.
The additional rune pages was a good idea, but there's a problem with it now. I sincerely don't think there's 20 pillars left to add, unless you add a bunch of player homes. There's been so many pillars removed over the years i don't believe 20 are left.

My suggestion would be to allow phasians to add pillars to their list that no other race can. They may have forgotten how to build them, but they probably know a few secrets about how to make one two-way.

A few examples of those one-way pillars already in game would be:
The center of "Warlocks' Keep"
The north center of "Aramageddon"
The landing point of "Astral Planes" (the pillar mishap one)
The landing point of "Tlaloc's Temple" (another pillar mishap)

More of these pillars could be added to select areas. One way use for other races, but addable to your runewalk list by phasians.

It would make them unique and a good race choice.

Halflings
They all suck. Just like before the patch. I'm not even sure there's a way to fix them, it's like they were made to make other races look more appealing.

Lizardman
The poison spit seems like it has potential, however the few times i was able to use it, the paralyze effect didn't seem to actually work.

Poison spit has an excessive 2 hour cooldown which is why i couldn't test it much. I'd suggest making the cooldown 1 hour, assuming paralyze does what i think it does.

Starsigns:

The Hermit
Since farsight appears to now be capped at 100dc (even with over 100 sensory) the +20% sensory isn't very useful. How to fix it i don't know, maybe allow hermits a 20% higher dc on farsight(120 instead of 100).

Also I would suggest bumping the spell reflect rate up to 25% from 20%.

The Hero
As far as i can tell, bardic empathy is broken, so the double effect from hero is also doing nothing.

The 'normal' summons are pretty close to useless, having a extra one doesn't help fix them. If it was a extra elemental it'd be useful.

I'm not sure if it effected xorns, I honestly can't remember how many i could summon before hero starsign.

The Hospic
Just missing one thing. Lifemana is in, but Lifeblood doesn't seem to be. Vampires and vampyrs can't expend blood to regenerate hp.

The Void
Where do i begin on this one.

Innate Dispel: It seems to cap at 50 dc, that's pretty much useless at level50. Not being able to cast spells or potions is quite a setback, a void's dispel should be guranteed to work, especialy considering how long you have to wait after using it(15+ seconds at 50 I believe).

Astralwalk, farsight, summon, etc. need to not effect void. If the spell requires you to target the void, he should be immune. If you want it 'logicly' explained, the air around him is sucking in magic, why would you be able to astral to him? The same room sure, if someone else is there, but directly to him? No. Same goes for farsight and summon couldn't 'grab' him for the same reason(which is actually another drawback).

Ancestries

Gold Dragon
There's no reason for it to have mine sniff, all that does is make it superior to every other dragon.

If you plan to add some Very unique passive traits to the other dragons it might work out, but for right now, it's not balanced at all.

I think that's it.

Post subject: agreed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:07 pm 
 YIM  Profile

I agree with all of the points. There are races and classes that are useless. I'd like to know what happened to the dwarves being able to prospect in the mines; I mean they can mine smell why not prospect, they are master miners. For example, Sucubus, why can't they have fly I mean it says in their description they have wings but they forgot how to use them? Bards… don't get me started: USELESS. I agree if you use a instrument your losing so much espace damage for it and if you wield anything on a caster, you lose casting time and you stop playing your song; I can understand that but maybe there should be a race that allow bards to play and cast. There aren't many of that race at all that I know of and I am the only one that has used it as far as I know. One more point, vampires: if people picked vampyre before they were changed, they should get the chance to repick their ancestry (since this is NOT what they picked).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:19 pm 

Earthquake is fine. It shouldn't affect fliers.

Mine smell is a real marginal skill and dragons are fine with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:15 am 
Not asking for it to effect flyers, it shouldn't. However considering it can't hit most things, the damage is poor.

Mine smell isn't marginal when crafted metal rules the game.

But that isn't the problem, the problem is only one dragon has it, not all of them. If every dragon had it, fine, but only gold does and that's clear imbalance.

Edit: Ok, for those people who've never played a druid and think earthquake is 'fine', let me give you a idea of how 'fine' it is.

Right now, i have 13 fecs in earthquake. It does 150 damage.
With surps i might get to 200 damage, wow! 200 damage with a earthquake full of surps! And it can't hit players, this must be the best spell ever.
/end edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:26 am 

Don't use it then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:51 pm 
Lowbie

Thremp wrote:
Don't use it then?

Please greatly expand your knowledge and experience of the game before posting idiocy. This is a suggestion thread based on people's experience and knowledge to fix what "doesn't work" properly.

Thremp wrote:
Mine smell is a real marginal skill and dragons are fine with it.

Based on your previous post, you said dragonS are fine with mine smell ability, but if you havent noticed at all... only gold dragon ancestor gets this ability... which is the entire point that other dragons are lacking something up to par with this ability.

As for druid's earthquake, it is what knowledgable players label as 'broken' (or "sucks"). Which is what topic creator and other people think should be fixed.