Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Citizen's Arrest...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:00 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

Okay another one of Lhile's crazy crime Ideas... What about give players the right to something to the sort of Citizen's arrest... In the past, We've all seen caretakers do bad things...A few have been stripped from their power, banned, etc...

But some crimes aren't as serious, though they need to be dealt with. And when we say something about it, some caretakers just tell us to stop whining, even if we all agree on it.

Maybe give players the right (Not everyone deserves it, Just maybe a select few can have it) to restrict a caretaker from doing anything in the game (something like jail but not so extreme) and they can't do anything about it until what they've did has been discussed and dealt with.

Then they move on to whatever punishment has been determined (Maybe suspended as a caretaker for a certain amount of online hours)...Of course if someone did this to a caretaker and didn't have a valid reason they would have SEVERE punishment. (Like if someone did it just because they didn't like the caretaker)

But whether or not it was a valid reason or not would have to be determined by another caretaker (besides the one accused) or other players of the select few that have this power.

Some people might say I want this because I just want to get back at the caretakers...Actually, I have great respect for all the caretakers, and this would be a great thing for them. Though they are a higher authority than us, some of them do things that aren't immortal-like. With this, they will be able to learn from what they did and not do it again. This way whatever they did doesn't evolve into something more extreme like something they could get banned for.

Like I was saying, some caretakers do bad things too. But when players complain to other caretakers about what they did, the stories will get all jumbled and the other caretakers won't know exactly what happened because they might not've been there at that time. Now to determine whether the reason for jailing a caretaker is valid or not.. of course they'll need good hard evidence. Such as logs, respectable witnesses, etc... Some sort of criteria will have to be made up to determine this.

Well, I believe I've made my point as to of what I'm wanting to happen. I doubt it will happen because you'll think it'll get to dangerous with this sort of power. But its just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:11 pm 

before i say anything else...

WTF are you smoking, and why don't you share? that's gotta be some goooooooooooooooooooood stuff :P

Lemme see now, why shouldn't players have power like you're suggesting, over the immortals?

Well, first and foremost, 99.9% of the time, what mortals *think* they know about a situation, turns out to be only a small portion of the full story, therefore they'd be making judgement calls without all the info they need to make that judgement. This is true of everyone, myself included.

Secondly, that would leave a caretaker that goes out of their way to punish cheaters and abusers, vulnerable to those same cheaters and abusers just by them getting enough players together to say the caretaker was wrong.

Caretakers are appointed to their position for several reasons...1) They have knowledge of the mud that makes it much easier to do their jobs, 2) They know the rules, and the loopholes in them, and are trusted enough to enforce them fairly on all players, friend or not.

If anyone *truly* believes they've been treated unfairly by a caretaker, or even more than one, or if they believe a caretaker has abused their power, the correct action to take, is to post a log of the situation to celeborn or zeraphin, in a PRIVATE message on the forums, not to make a public scene over it on ooc or any other channel on the mud. That only succeeds in a big argument, and imms and players alike being pissed off about the drama/spam/etc.

I have a lot of friends, and enemies in DL, but i don't believe there is anyone, among either of those groups, that can *truthfully* say that i am not honest with everyone, whether they like it or not :P, and i can tell you from personal experience, that if you post a pm to cele about what you believe to be inappropriate behaviour by a caretaker, he WILL read it, he WILL look into it, and, if action is needed, he WILL take that action...whether he replies to your message or not.

Anyone that wishes to dispute what i have said here, or wishes me to back up what i've said, feel free to pm me on the forums, and i'll do what i can to prove my points.

~Eventine E'lessidil,
Spirit Wolf, Sentinels of Wolf Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:15 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

wwwooooot ev, i would add something but you summed up pretty much what i was thinkering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:29 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

*shrugs* Just a suggestion. I didn't really think it would go through, but I always enjoy how ideas like this evolve into something that always ends up a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 pm 

You just have to realize something... the imm's are imm's. They arent caretakers like how they were meant to be but have instead turned into the same ones that were at forbidden-realms... actually I think they might be worse in some aspects. You cant argue with an imm. well you can but expect to be banned or silenced no matter who's wrong or right. Oh and dont bother to say anythign else to another imm because they're thier own little clique and there's no point. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:55 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Rickey wrote:
You just have to realize something... the imm's are imm's. They arent caretakers like how they were meant to be but have instead turned into the same ones that were at forbidden-realms... actually I think they might be worse in some aspects. You cant argue with an imm. well you can but expect to be banned or silenced no matter who's wrong or right. Oh and dont bother to say anythign else to another imm because they're thier own little clique and there's no point. ^_^

Agreed. I half expect both your post and this post to disappear though. Assessing things logically and critically on the game seems to be frowned upon by the administration, especially if other people can see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:51 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

it's never gonna happen.

If you have beef with a caretaker all you can do is log it and send it away and hopefully someone superior will read it. When you log, make sure you log the time and place so the zera or cele can go and check the real log because your log doesnt have much value.

However, realistically, there's nothing you can do. A caretaker can cheat or wrongfully judge you and there's not much you can do about it.

Anyway, what happened to Izzy? i miss my Izzy