Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Character Customization
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:42 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

How about the use of glory to customize a character? I mean, you can already add little things like inches and weight etc. but why not be able to add say scars, or even tattoo's. And like, if you had the item in your inventory you could make the command string be something along the lines of:

Glory Custom (thingie) (what you want it to be)

like say I wanted to name my sword "Valgrash the Blood-drinker"

I'd check out the "glory custom" list:

Glory Custom:

Rename item: 500 glory
Unique Pet: 2000 glory
Change Race: 1000 glory

And then I would be like "hmmm I have 500 glory!"

Glory Custom Longsword 'Valgrash the Blood-drinker'

if I wanted to have my character have a troll grandmother and a human grandfather (a very DRUNK human grandfather) for example, there could be racial perks on this list as well:

Troll Blood (provides regeneration): 4000 glory

or if they just wanted elf ears:

Elf Ears: 250 glory

Glory Custom Body 'troll blood'

Tattoo:

Chest: 100 glory (+150 glory p/con point)
bicep: 50 glory (+150 glory p/Str point)
Lower back: 75 glory
Upper Back: 100 glory (+150 glory p/str stat)
Leg: 50 glory (+150 glory p/dex stat

And the + to stat's would be purely optional.

Glory Custom Tattoo 'coiled serpent' Chest 5

Would give me a chest tattoo of a coiled serpent that added 5 constitution points and costed 850 glory.

I have another idea about how to obtain more glory coming up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:55 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

ooooo sounds pretty nifty i like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:21 pm 

I really like this Idea Avestiful. Extreme character customization would be very awsome to make everybody extremely unique. For example, maybe after you become a minor diety (and/or get crowned) you will get new customization abilities further from your original ones (which could be different from race to race and from class to class) such as wings to fly (for one who worships Maybloom for example) or horns to gouge (for someone who worships Balthildas for example). I had a bunch of other ideas too, I hope I remember them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:23 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

This is really an awesome idea. Although I don't know if one should have to wait as far as making it to crowning or being a minor diety, but nevertheless, great idea!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:43 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Indeed it should not JUST be a minor deity thing, cause then it just makes the initial leveling more of an annoying obstacle. But I think he was suggesting that you get more powerful ones after minor deity, perhaps you could get "God Powers"

There should be more mob run quests that hand out amounts of glory that can be feasibly gathered to make the customizations worth striving for. I suggested rates of 25-250 as quest rewards depending on difficulty of quests. This way even characters who don't want to level like fiends and want to spend time RPing can still do some of these quests along the way to customize their character. And for quests there could be a particular level at which you get the quest, but if you miss the window, you miss the quest, like at levels 1-5 you can do a couple quests, but if you try to get them at lvl 6 you're too experienced to bother with such a paltry task.

Granted you get lots of glory while epiccing, lets not forget that a lot of that is saved up to spend on the crowned gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:36 am 

Yes I was suggesting that after you become a minor diety, you get special customization options like that.

Post subject: my thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:42 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

instead of glory, which in my mind is cheap

epicpoints

(and i would point out - its already in game :P)

epicbuy

however, you did bring up valid ideas with the 'descriptions' however, see help traits :P and thats free.

perhaps epicbuy could increase the number of traits you can possess :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:17 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Yes, that may be all well and good, but that's A) only two traits and B) that still does nothing for the tattoo's and the item renames/unique pets.

I don't think that you should HAVE to be an epic character to get these happy-time abilities though, so perhaps some other system.

Post subject: Re: my thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:51 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
instead of glory, which in my mind is cheap

epicpoints

Yes, glory is cheap, but have you ever wondered WHY it's cheap? I guess not. The reason why it is cheap is because it has no real uses, besides a few setbody commands.

If you want it to not be cheap, you give it more uses.

I disagree with using epicpoints for descriptions, roleplay, weapon changes, etc. True, epicpoints should always have more uses, but these kinds of modifications would definetly make more sense to fall under "Glory."

Isabelle wrote:
however, you did bring up valid ideas with the 'descriptions' however, see help traits :P and thats free.

perhaps epicbuy could increase the number of traits you can possess :)

That is not a good idea, Isabelle. Traits are nothing but hand picked words that you get to choose between, quite different from what Avestifal and the rest wanted.

Allowing more traits through epicbuy would just make lots of people have long, annoying, spammy, and ultimatly BORING descriptions after their name, as is the result of choosing through a small amount words.

Thats not to say that traits are bad, just that they have their limits.

And you did nothing to address weapon modifications, (tags in front, capital letters, adding keywords (NOT removing them, so imms could still find specific items if needed), etc).

Personally, I think Avestifal's idea is awesome.

~Ocardus/Ridley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:41 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

This is kind of going off topic but I think we should get rid of the current traits, and just allow players to type in their own. We can customize our description, so why not our traits? :)

Anyway... back on topic.

Epic points - It would not make sense to use epic points because then you're limiting this to epic characters, which i personally think is unfair. ATM its pretty hard for a non-epic character to make large amounts of glory anyway.

Just using Avestifal's ideas here, I don't believe "Troll Blood" should be limited to those with epicpoints, when a level 1 troll gets it anyway. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:45 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

exactly. Epic points shouldn't be used unless you're going to completely remove tri-av'ing. That's why I suggested the use of glory and made another thread for more mob run quests that doll out glory as rewards in actually USEFUL amounts. Cause Glory isn't "cheap" it's down right completely rare until you hit epics then it's psychotically given out, but you have to save up tons of it for your crowning. Oh boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:51 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Speaking of glory... lower the amount you get in epics to 25 per levels and raise the amounts you get from quests... cause personally i believe its unbalanced ATM :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:31 am 

I like Isabelles idea to have buyable traits with epicpoints. Your traits are your actual appearance, that's why they are limited as it is and each race has there on selection. But with epicbuy for example, one could slowly morph themselves into a glowing angel with a halo, or a firey demon with horns and a cool goatee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:56 am 
Dual-Avatar

...Or a glasses wearing male accountant named Laurine. Glory is definately better than epicpoints though. Glory is attainable by any one, but still easier after tri-avving. Most people would probably get the glory for one trait while levelling, but if someone wanted a single class for RP purposes, the person could still have traits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:32 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Epicpoints are limited to epiccers. And there's no reason why you should only be able to have fun in dark legacy as an epiccer, to me it sounds down right ignorant. (please note I'm not calling anyone ignorant, I'm calling the idea of only epiccers having the real fun, ignorant)

Glory is better for this because it would let everyone get them. Even someone who wants to RP a combat medic and level sits at 30/30 war/cler for 3 months because he's roleplaying should be able to get these benefits.

For the epiccers you could have epic abilities that are only unlocked when you epic but still cost glory. that way people would have to divide between the crown-enchants and the abilities.

And the traits are for RP purposes sure, but as I think weemster pointed out; You would have long ugly things like

"so-and-so the such-and-such fiery eyed, strong nosed, wiry framed, arrogant, silver-haired, quad-winged auromvorax is sitting here"

What I'm proposing something that you would see when you looked at the character. in the "look" box.

And the costs and effects of such are ideas! NOT CONCRETE THINGS! They are FLEXIBLE and OPEN TO DISCUSSION. If you have better musings for costs of such, please, state them for discussion, don't ONLY bash them and try and shoot them down, see if they're workable. (I know I'm being slightly hypocritical, so forgive me, I need to work on it too).

Post subject: avestifal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:17 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i removed my original reply, and avestifals, to avoid the topic from turning into a war.

If we use your idea, and remove all bonuses that it would affect a players fighting gameplay, i would be fine with that.

so, it would be things like elf ears, and tattoos, and other things which would affect the players roleplaying experience.

a max stat bonus of 1 per attribute total would also be fine
(1 strength, 1 intelligence, 1 wisdom, etc)

anything other than that would affect gameplay adversely.

race specific abilities should also be illegal, or then (trolls for example) would say, why did i make myself a troll, when anyone can have my abilities with glory.

(which brings up my last point, glory cannot be used, because players with 28000 glory who have been around since the glorypool days would have a supreme advantage over newer players.)
-so a new point system would need to be used, rather than glory.

if it cuts into enchanting, or epicbuying, it would have to be changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:59 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I agree on the stat points etc. 1 max. (and sorry if I got all bristly in my last reply X\ )

Perhaps with like the racial abilities it would be severely toned down, to account for the dilution of the genetic line? For instance with troll blood all it would do is add 5 regeneration and no limb regen? Cause, to be frank, regeneration without limb regen isn't all that spectacular unless you were somehow able to get it up to 500. And to account for people who were already trolls, maybe, dare I say.../noble/ troll blood? like from good fighting stock or something so they can still buy this same ability and gain the extra boost simply because they have good breeding (trolls...breeding....*BARF*)

Maybe instead of glory...Quest Points?

This way you could have all those mob run quests and they could give their smidgeons of Glory, and also Quest Points, which would then be the currency for buying these special traits?

For instance: Ezekiel the Half-Celestial Paladin does a lvl 30 paladin quest he got from the temple priest of his god Leopold and after bringing back the green dragon's severed head he gets the 5 glory and 50 quest points
as a reward.

What say you?

(again I apologise for a quick temper)