Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: deities
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:00 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

how about something like giving minor stat boosts or something for different deities you are devoted to?

like... sekhmet, since hes all about war, might give +2 strength and some damroll, possibly based on your favor...

halycon, the peaceloving deity might give like, +int or +wis and extra mana, or mobility, to stay out of fights..

these are just some suggestions, i donno... post whatever for whatever..

whee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:55 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

deities already give specific bonuses, which are not stat related, and will not be, as it ends up restricting a player on the types of deities to use.

(example, if one deity adds +2 strength, and another adds +50 mana, which one will a warrior always choose, and which one will a mage always choose?) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

well thats kinda the point... i mean deities are supposed to normally favor one kind of person who follows a certain class, or races

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:16 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Isabelle wrote:
deities already give specific bonuses, which are not stat related, and will not be, as it ends up restricting a player on the types of deities to use.

(example, if one deity adds +2 strength, and another adds +50 mana, which one will a warrior always choose, and which one will a mage always choose?) :)

Actually this isn't a bad idea. It would add more variety to deities..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:22 pm 
Tri-Avatar

I'm with Isabelle. Deity choice should be a roleplay decision, not just another aspect of your characters stats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:35 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Although I don't think it should affect stats :).. maybe something more subtle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Kiasyn wrote:
Although I don't think it should affect stats :).. maybe something more subtle...

I didn't mean literally your physical stats, rather any aspect of power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:39 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

exactly, if you make a deity do anything at all which can in any way be unbalanced (eg: anything dealing with combat bonuses, or enchanting bonuses, etc) you automatically cut off any chance of a select range of players of ever being able to choose that deity.

Note: i'm not against deities giving 'things' or flavour -but- it would need to be drawn out in specifics. If anything is submitted that says:

+anything to any attribute score
+anything to any skill (crafting, etc)
+anything to any ability

i consider as automatically cutting off players from having a choice in who they may have as a deity.

as it is, deities already grant bonuses to favour, (fleeing, supplicating, speed at which it raises, speed at which it drops)
favour is fairly balanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:35 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Isabelle wrote:
exactly, if you make a deity do anything at all which can in any way be unbalanced (eg: anything dealing with combat bonuses, or enchanting bonuses, etc) you automatically cut off any chance of a select range of players of ever being able to choose that deity.

Note: i'm not against deities giving 'things' or flavour -but- it would need to be drawn out in specifics. If anything is submitted that says:

+anything to any attribute score
+anything to any skill (crafting, etc)
+anything to any ability

i consider as automatically cutting off players from having a choice in who they may have as a deity.

as it is, deities already grant bonuses to favour, (fleeing, supplicating, speed at which it raises, speed at which it drops)
favour is fairly balanced.

Exactly. It would be difficult/impossible for them to properly balance the deities, and the end result would be that everyone would be forced to be one specific deity, or at best choose between two or three.

Since everyone gets the bonus, it's not like you're really gaining anything, so all that's happened is you've lost your ability to choose whatever deity you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:45 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

i agree you shouldnt get any stats from your deity, but what about from a RP point of view, deities have very little to do with the game right now other than a way to get your stuff back if you die, i will soon be changing to a RP player, keeping atleast 2 alts RP at all times, possibly more, and i would kinda like to see more done with the RP part of the game, maby add something like clerics of a certain deity can take their mark, which would be somthing like a trait, wouldnt affect the gameplay, other that the RP part of it. i have a few other idea's about adding a little more RP into the game, ill post it when i have everything clear in my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:04 am 

I think that it is a small stat boost that is hidden to players would be cool. So when you first choose what deitiy you want you dont know what your going to get, but the boost is related to what deitiy. Then agin I have no problems with the current setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:15 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

clerics can create holy symbols of their deity already, as can pretty much all magic users

rp wise - i don't see why us having deities give you bonuses gives you any more, or any less ability for you to roleplay.

if you want special things for clerics, how about at epic 1000 you get the option to turn into some great avatar for your deity?
or, we could do stuff at any level really.

-note - the deities dont change any, you just get to do extra RP stuff.. like every other player, and like every other player with every other deity :)

(translation: we dont change deities, we change what you can do - for any deity)
- opening up quests which are created with the theme of a specific deity would be appropriate