Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Court System?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:11 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

Heres just an idea I thought of while I was rotting in the jail. What about having some sort of Court System that'll be more complex then just having the cops decide what your time should be :p Perhaps having lawyers and a jury, and such. That'd be awesome! And, depending upon the seriousness of the crime, Have a certain amount of money SOMEONE ELSE, could pay to get you out? *shrugs* Seems like a good idea to me ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:28 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

this would be great but it would be too complicated. How are we to enforce people to show up to court if they decided not to log on? How can lawers prove a point? what if a lawer doesnt show up? what if the judge is corrupt? how can anyone obtain any evidence besides the caretakers? this will just make things more complicated and take more time out of a caretaker's life. Besides, the world that we live in is not democratic. The Justice system that we have now is good but needs major changes(or maybe already have) to support RP.

Lingolas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:33 pm 
 YIM  Profile

some of the judges are already corrupt lol and lingolas proves a point there is only he said she said and in all that someone is lying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:27 am 
Dual-Avatar

Bunch of things wrong with this idea:

No presentable evidence.
No credible defendants.
No point. People who commit crimes are automaticly tagged as guilty, or at least justified.

And the idea was presented by a guy in jail.....hmmmm......maybe if you just hadn't done it in the first place, it wouldn't have come to this. You're screaming for rights which you have not earned. That's why we have caretakes like issy.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:19 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yay, issy ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:23 pm 
Lowbie
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

Mm You're right this idea wouldn't work out but there really does need to be SOME kind of changes made...I'm in jail for helping him out. I see no logic in getting more time for HELPING someone than when you MURDER someone :/
*shrugs* I might be alone on this but something has to be done about the higher authorities being able to slap on any sentence they wish. If they don't like someone because they said something bad to them, and that someone commits a crime then boom revenge...As many hours to rot in jail as they wish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:33 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quit whining, you got the sentence you deserved, be glad it wasn't more. Peacefuls are not allowed to interfere in a pvp fight, PERIOD. At all! You may do NOTHING at all.

And we're not able to slap on any sentence we wish. It was a joint decision from the two admins online to give you that sentence. And Isabelle and Celeborn both support it.. going to do something about them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:29 pm 
I like the idea of a bailout option, maybe make it so you can post bail for up to 50% or 60% of your time in 5% increments (kinda like time off for good behavior). Make it costly though, and not an actual amount. Maybe make it a percentage of your ENTIRE networth (all monies on all characters in your account).

probably not workable, but it would be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Kiasyn wrote:
Quit whining, you got the sentence you deserved, be glad it wasn't more. Peacefuls are not allowed to interfere in a pvp fight, PERIOD. At all! You may do NOTHING at all.

And we're not able to slap on any sentence we wish. It was a joint decision from the two admins online to give you that sentence. And Isabelle and Celeborn both support it.. going to do something about them?

It's always nice to see such nice, friendly, and overall diplomatic responses from caretakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:42 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I think it's quite simple really.

Caretakers = THE LAW

That's why we have them around, and the fact that they can be trusted is why Cele gave them the job, and if you can't respect that fact then you obviously have no respect for Cele. In which case i find it generous that he even puts up with you playing his MUD at all.

Now, if we're talking about Roll-Play, then its another issue, but for those who just have a problem with jail would do best to avoid confrontations, plain and simple.

Bail? PAH! The economy of DL is so over inflated that bail is easily obtained, and has no value in terms of punishment at all. Besides, the whole point of bail is not to get out of jail free, in the real world bail is to get you out of detainment until the time of your trial as a guarantee that you'll show up for your trail. Obviously, there are no trails, and almost no waiting period for there to be any reason to get out of detainment for, so bail has no place in DL. You get sentanced, you're punished, you do your time. Deal with it.

Now, for those who have a problem with the sentances, i do see a point there. I don't think the caretakes slap on any sentanc they wish, its just that certain crimes are more severe than others, and get greater punishment. Murder in the game is not as bad as breaking the PvP code of conduct. In the GAME a life can be replaced, but the undermined authority of breaking the RULES can not. I suppose if the Admins would post a list of sentaces for the various crimes then people could see how much trouble they'd get themselves in. Say for example murder. The admins put up a minimum sentace recommendation and a maximum. Also along these lines, rule breaking should be the most severely punishable thing in the game, whether murder was involved or not.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:04 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Gilgolad wrote:
That's why we have them around, and the fact that they can be trusted is why Cele gave them the job.

Sometimes you wonder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:52 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

what are you pondering weem? I hope that we dont have to take over the world again. We tried that last time remember?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:16 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Sure, no problem:

Please select a judgement:
1) unprovoked assault 12 hours
2) justified assault 6 hours
3) highly justified assault 3 hours
4) unprovoked murder 48 hours
5) justified murder 24 hours
6) highly justified murder 12 hours
7) pardoned free
8) botting 8 hours
9) cheating 96 hours
10) killstealing 2 hours
11) slight harassing 4 hours
12) harassing 8 hours
13) obscene harassing 32 hours
14) being a poopyhead 1000 hours
15) being a pain in the ass 1000 hours

Those are a caretakers options.

Now for the specifics before about assisting in a pvp fight,

PEACEFULS KEEP AWAY FROM PVP FIGHTS - YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE INVOLVED - IF YOU WANT TO BE PVP MAKE A PVP CHARACTER.

that's my stance on that :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:22 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i may not have been clear, please, allow me to restate:

PEACEFULS KEEP AWAY FROM PVP FIGHTS - YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE INVOLVED - IF YOU WANT TO BE PVP MAKE A PVP CHARACTER.

thank you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:30 pm 
Dual-Avatar

weems wrote:
Gilgolad wrote:
That's why we have them around, and the fact that they can be trusted is why Cele gave them the job.

Sometimes you wonder...

No one's making you stay. If you got issues go make your own MUD why don't-cha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:32 pm 
Dual-Avatar

In case anyone hasn't noticed i'm feeling rather anal about this topic. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:38 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Gilgolad wrote:
weems wrote:
Gilgolad wrote:

Sometimes you wonder...

No one's making you stay. If you got issues go make your own MUD why don't-cha?

Hell no. If I have issues I will speak them and hope that they get resolved. If everybody who had an issue with this MUD simply packed their bags and left, I can tell you right now that nobody would be playing it anymore, it would long since have completely lost popularity, and immortal interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:40 pm 
Dual-Avatar

That's just it, there's two kinds of people here then:

1: Those who see problems and want it fixed THEIR WAY and bi+ch about them in the most cynical way possible til someone either shuts em up, or til they leave.

2: Those who suck it up and just go on playing, knowing the world cannot ever be perfect, and occoasionally see room for fair improvements.

It isn't ever going to be pretty around here. Ever. We may get close, but never there.

Back to my point: Those who think Admins are too harsh or don't like them must have done something to incur their wrath, or are just people who have a problem with authority, in which case they are people alot of us would rather not be around anyhow, and ought to be locked up till their genitals decay from their bodies and can no longer pass on their genes for lawlessness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Gilgolad wrote:
That's just it, there's two kinds of people here then:

1: Those who see problems and want it fixed THEIR WAY and bi+ch about them in the most cynical way possible til someone either shuts em up, or til they leave.

2: Those who suck it up and just go on playing, knowing the world cannot ever be perfect, and occoasionally see room for fair improvements.

It isn't ever going to be pretty around here. Ever. We may get close, but never there.

Back to my point: Those who think Admins are too harsh or don't like them must have done something to incur their wrath, or are just people who have a problem with authority, in which case they are people alot of us would rather not be around anyhow, and ought to be locked up till their genitals decay from their bodies and can no longer pass on their genes for lawlessness.

Hah. Just consider yourself lucky that those #1's exist. If not, Dark-Legacy would be stock Smaug. Why? Because Celeborn would have said to himself:

"Oh, this is just fine the way it is. I can never make it perfect, so why bother?"

Get it? Next time you do ANYTHING in this game, remember that the only reason you can do it at all is because Celeborn decided that he didn't like the way it was earlier.

You cannot ever reach perfection, but there is nothing wrong with striving for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:53 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Dude take a chill pill. There will always be complainers and there will always be comformists so dont get mad. There are actually more people that those 2 kinds.

There is the:

"I dont care about anything let me play my game" people

And

"Shut up and leave the game alone" people

Either way people are going to complain.

But unlike people who just complain, some of them actually suggest stuff to improve the game. Some their ideas can be great, other times just plain retarded. So stop getting mad at people who give critisism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:28 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

actually this game as evolved so much since i first played. Most of the changes/improvement that i've noticed have stemed from complaints and suggestions. For example: the idea of having a world map was first introduced when i first started playing and after several years it finally became a reality. I think that Dark Legacy would be so crappy if no one complaints or suggests anything new. In addition to complaints, we should have compliments as well, so that celeborn knows what he's doing right. I'm sure it would be very discouraging for celeborn to keep on hearing complaints every day year after year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:19 am 
Dual-Avatar

I don't have problem with complaints, just in the way people make them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:45 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

exhibit a: may i present to you this singed peice of flesh from when the defendant cast fire-breath on the plaintiff...