Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Do you wish to change the way resistance works according to the way Torrim suggests below?
Yes 74%  74%  [ 20 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Abstain 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:57 pm 
Dual-Avatar

You aren't creating an argument, Ralf. You are perfectly within your rights to suggest changes or ask questions about this.

This change will benefit physical attacking characters primarily; but that's because they NEED that benefit; they are currently worthless. I'm an e1003 physical fighter and I don't even touch my emeralite or meteorite swords in a duel; I fight with magic and an icespike bow, because melee is THAT useless.

After this goes in, I will be writing up a change to magic to address the fact that MR is too easy to get and well-designed characters can become pretty much immune to magic. The resistance changes come first because you don't HAVE to have a well-designed character to be immune to physical attacks; you just have to have a few pieces of crafted gear and/or the bounce spell.

Yes, most of the changes I propose benefit competent PvPers(not neccessarily the highest level ones) the most. This is because once you get to a high level of knowledge/skill, high experience/epic levels, and powerful equipment, obscure tricks and small details of crafting/combat systems are primarily what seperates one person from another. This is true in any non-action game; the good players know most of the details of the game mechanics and they all have "uber" equipment, so victory is determined by things like equipment design, character build, strategy, and in-depth knowledge of the combat and crafting systems. In a game where these factors are nullified and characters of the same level/level of equipment are perfectly equal and have a 50% chance of victory either way, there is no reason for high-level players to keep playing. Low-level players keep playing to get powerful and will eventually become high-level players, high-level players need competitiveness to keep the game worth playing. A perfectly "balanced" combat system where knowledge and strategy are irrelevent is not competitive.

Paper-rock-scissors is perfectly balanced, but how many people do you see playing it ? Everything is exactly equal, there is no strategy to it, and there is no reason to play it, other than to generate a random victor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Nuitari wrote:
Paper-rock-scissors is perfectly balanced, but how many people do you see playing it ? Everything is exactly equal, there is no strategy to it, and there is no reason to play it, other than to generate a random victor.

Well you might be surprised how much tactics go into Rock-Paper-Scissors. ;) Go do a google search. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:12 am 
Dual-Avatar

O_O

"Question number one: Do you know any slow or special people?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:11 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Nuitari wrote:
O_O

"Question number one: Do you know any slow or special people?"

http://www.worldrps.com/advanced.html. enough said. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:45 pm 
Dual-Avatar

That's the site I was talking about.

There's a good chance that site is a joke, and even if it isn't, you would be wise not to take it to heart when designing DL - you can't study your opponent very well over the internet ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:10 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

log of counciltalk:
~ Silvanos : that reminds me, im thinking to promote class distinction in the armor patch...the whole armor skill should be developed to suit dam red as well or restrict heavy armor..not just mobility..since in a lot of systems casters cant even wear heavy armor without losing their casting abilities

~ Higon : yeah...I'd like to see damred factored after resists and have heavy armor have a real downside

~ Silvanos : for casters, cuz otherwise after the patch..everyone would still be the same

~ Higon : a couple skills for innate resists may be nice too...let meleers get more physical and casters more magical...give each class a different one too so that a pure meleer gets more physical resists than a caster/meleer...although that would have to be expanded on more

~ Silvanos : good pt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 am 
Tri-Avatar

Heh, heavy armor does have a real down side.

The down side? Your opponent doesn't even have to attack it. What does it matter if your cuirass has 10,000 damage reduction if they can just attack your arm, which has about 40?

People might not have realized it yet, but even if damage reduction is factored in LAST, heavy armor still blows, because you can't wear it everywhere, and you suffer huge mobility penalties.

Your are only as strong as your weakest link, which at this point is some earrings, glasses, and level 50 arm layers, so there is no reason not to just wear silk, except in maybe epics, when the mobiles have a tendency to go for the chest/arm.