Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shield Smash
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:07 pm 

I was beeing annoyed for a long time by the fact Shields are so inpopular in Dark legacy. So I thought something up.
A skill named Smash, or shieldsmash or something. You hit the enemy with your shield, medium damage AND You bash the enemy 2 or 3 feet backwards, that can always be usefull. And maybe against players it makes the balance go 1 + downwards if 100%. So it could smash the enemy against the ground. You also see people in medieval wars hitting eachother with the shields. And it would make the carry of shields way more popular. And to the argument: overpowered, make the smash slow, like a lunge, with the damage of thrust. I am quite new so i dunno if you will like the idea, but what about it??
Greetz
Dyona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:12 pm 
Lowbie

*starts crafting towershields*
hmm shieldbash, i like it. but yes i do think the damage would be moderate becouse noone will use there weapons and only use shields. and whatabout letting the damgae depend on the kind of shield you use for instance a buckler would not deal the same amound of damage as a spiked(rosethorned) towerhield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:14 pm 

Indeed, attributes like spikes would do more damage.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:21 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i like the idea shieldbash.
One Question :
Which class and/or classes could get the skill Shieldbash or Bashshield within reason should get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:44 pm 
Tri-Avatar

Silvanos had the right idea. Instead of there being a new skill, wearing a shield could just give a bonus to the 'bash' skill, making it more effective.

It would be simpler, and suit the same purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:01 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Shieldbash should be given to Warriors, Paladins, and Rangers.

Also the damage should never exceed 300, no matter what buffs you have on, or else epic chars will start useing them as primary weapons. I like the idea of knocking an enemy back 3 feet, though, but i have one more suggestion:

For balance cost, it should be the same as a lunge attack, maybe even more, since you'll have to throw your whole body into it.

Bonus: Instead of criticals doing more damage, why not make it so a critical will knock an opponent off his feet, makeing him lose all his balance. Granted that shouldn't happen often, but it would be freakin' sweet to get the upper hand on someone that way.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:29 pm 
Lowbie

about the classes well i agree with paladin and warrior, not so sure about rangers there not realy melee. still SPIKES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:18 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Spikes don't do crap for damage. Just look at what rosethorn armor does, whoopdie-freakin-doo, they scratch themselves for 11 damage.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:40 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Gilgolad wrote:
Spikes don't do crap for damage. Just look at what rosethorn armor does, whoopdie-freakin-doo, they scratch themselves for 11 damage.
if you ask me celeborn should make a 2% lose in hp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:40 pm 

stick to the subject. Shieldsmash yes or no??
Greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:45 pm 

I like it for Pally and Warrior. I think it should be a sort of Lunge/Bash combination, but with reduced damage of a jab. I like the idea of having it decrease damage with crits. Possibly adding an additional + for each level crit (from a baseline of 3 for example). Seems like an interesting way to get people to use it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:20 pm 

Indeed :D
But why isnt any caretaker even showing interest?? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:28 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I agree with Dyona with the fact that shields are used to little and if you look at a full scaled war everybody uses a shield but in DL pretty much almost everybody just hates a shield. It would be awesome to just smash a stupid gnome in his back and flip it over and let him fall down on his face :twisted: , in a matter of speaking of course :) .
Dyona, I hope your idea gets introduced in DL

Xaho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:31 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i like this idea..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 pm 

I agree with you Dyona, as far as I have seen untill now I am the only one carrying a shield. And about what Gilgolad sayd, the critical wont do more damage, but knock the enemy of his feet.
And for not using shields as a main weapon, damage of a jab, balance drain of a lunge, and the speed of a lunge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:26 pm 

Dyona

A very good idea, however I thought some mob shields already had this ability. It has been a while, so this may no longer be the case. At very low levels I often used the Deck of Playing Cards found in the Manor. The Cards acted as a shield and did minor slash damage from time to time based on your shield skill level. I was looking forward to the new craft patch for this reason, so I could make items from Mob blueprints that would have special abilities that normal crafted items do not have. There are some nice Mob shields in the game if you know where to find them, make good drainables too. So Sonagh you are not the only shield user in the game, I allmost allways have one.

In that vein of thought, if shield bash was to be added to all shields, it should act like the Mob shields that have that ability.

The damage done should be low, less than or equal to a dagger of the same level.

The chance to hit should be based on the users shield skill level. Thus anyone could use a shield, but those with fighter classes would gain the most benefit from it.

The speed of the shield, how often it makes a automatic attack, should be based on its size. Smaller shields are quicker.

The type of damage varies by shield type. Normal shields do blunt damage. Spiked shields do pierceing damage. Edged shields do slashing damage.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the matter for now.

Arureal
High Lord of Lowbies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:58 am 

as someone who both crafts and uses shields i agree with this only i dont think warriors should have the ability to use it becasue they already have spin and duel wield i think it should be an spic class skill that only epic classes that cant use duel wield should get. for example oracle(epic classes using mage/cleric/psi/druid/bard in any order) this would give these classes a second weapon like the others...

~The-Brotherhood~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:41 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

i disagree, i dont think a mage/cleric/druid should be able to use shield bash, i think it should be epics only, but only epic classes that have warrior pally or ranger as one of their classes