Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Codes ideas for pet on leveling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:41 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

All players (non-newbie) knows on the mud. Pet cant gain levels if the character is not leveling period.
personally i think if the pet gets the killing blow it should be able to gain exp.
Here is my issue on the problem with the code and im asking people input on it. Should this be changed?
Someone gave me a pet for gold and i pay will and i wanted to level it. problem is its to weak to try to get the killing blow or it just die with one hit from a mob in a low be area.
So my question is basically what can we change the current code to something more reasonable?
zidane wrote:
Ok what would be for the best interest for owners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:55 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

make the pet more powerful, find other areas?

spell up your pet before and during combat

sanctuary
bless
shields
wards
heals
refreshes

unravel defense the opponent
bane it
weaken it
curse it
faerie fire it
spit on it for good measure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:41 am 
Dual-Avatar

What i find most frustrating about leveling a pet is that you basically have 3 chances per charachter. If you dont get a pet right away, around levels 1-11, then you can not level it once you get it. you have to wait untill you avatar to start training it. i suggest broadaning the level range so you can group it to within 15 levels of yourself, the closer to the maximium 15 levels, the more exp penalty, so it could level much more slowly if its farther away from your level.

the thing you might say is, why not let your pet level on its own, you just watch it so it doesnt get KO'd. the problem is if you are with your pet, it wont gain any exp and you will get the message, "That kill was to easy for your highest level party member" even if you dont group the pet.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:44 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Gilgolad, that's not quite true...you can level an infinite number of pets, if you just delete, or, like what I see more often, abort. A handful of players do this already. Also, you have 8 character slots, so unless you have 8 tri-avs you really want, there's not much reason not to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:48 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yup, usually people make friends, or have trusted guildmates which can be used to transfer the pets between your characters.

make a new character, give it the pet, level up both

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:21 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I was going on the fact that for your main char, you dont want to have to abort, and you dont necessarily want to make all those alts if your busy with a certain char over another one.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:32 pm 
Dual-Avatar

If you're busy with that alt, you're not gonna have time to level your pet anyway. It doesn't exactly take long to go from level 1 to level 50, especially with the aid of a pet. It's quite possible to easily do it before a pet even fully matures, so it's not a large amount of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:39 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quintos wrote:
If you're busy with that alt, you're not gonna have time to level your pet anyway. It doesn't exactly take long to go from level 1 to level 50, especially with the aid of a pet. It's quite possible to easily do it before a pet even fully matures, so it's not a large amount of time.
just wanted to ask about this theory on the weaker pets like spiders or cats is it possible to level faster if the pet is not powerful enough? :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:43 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Zidane wrote:
just wanted to ask about this theory on the weaker pets like spiders or cats is it possible to level faster if the pet is not powerful enough? :arrow:
It will be slightly harder, but, from what I've seen, levelling fast enough generally isn't a problem unless you're just sitting around not doing anything...You can easily get to av, and probably master a craft or two before a pet fully matures. If I'm not mistaken, Jimi was tri-av some where around age 21, and that was with focusing on guild matters and a small amount of idling. Of course, that was basically power levelled (not illegally, just the character and group set up) but it's still perfectly possible to level quickly enough without that because you can only speed it up so much..