Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:40 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

as previously stated, unless its a super rare item from a boss mob or quest, it will not be bind on pick up/touch

to recap: some common items not binding, uncommon bind on wear, rare+ depending on variables bind on touch

but ok, for zach, weems, etc, per zachs idea - thats fine with the sockets, you may attempt to create a socket, dependant upon your skill, and randomness, you may either succeed or fail, with failure resulting in item destruction. No more than X sockets added to an item, determinate upon items level and other variable. (like, maybe sockets /cannot/ be added to type rare+ items, but /can/ be added to type common-uncommon items.
(helps to keep one single item from being overpowered)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:45 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Nuitari wrote:
That doesn't make for a "good gaming experience". Quite the opposite, in fact.

actually, it does. :P

Nuitari wrote:
Making everything bind is far worse than having deathtraps purge eq. You can avoid deathtraps by being careful, there's no such way to mitigate binding.

Its a choice between always keeping your prized possessions but not being able to give them to someone else when you replace them vs. loosing them due to deathtrap, corpseloss, lava, etc.

Nuitari wrote:
If you are worried about items "flooding the market", then your problem is that you have made them easier to get than you intended. Making everything bind won't fix that.

1. Our economy is already broken, so no 'should have' will fix that.
2. I would have to slow item generation to an insanely low amount, or create an unfair way to get things out of the game. Each multiplayer game has many faucets, ways to get items into a game, and many drains, to get them back out of the game. Regardless what the faucet speed is, I will need an equal drain speed to get them out again, or the economy will overflow. Since the economy is ALREADY insanely filled, I should either drastically cut down on faucets (ie: no item creation for a while), or I should perform an EQ purge :P

Nuitari wrote:
If you disagree with me, then stop doing what you are doing, and spend a thousand or so hours playing DL. Take the time to triav. Then spend a few hundred hours getting some emeralite from Vogar or some other player who actually sells it. Now make yourself some level 50 emeralite weapons with that emeralite. Then spend hundreds of hours epicing to epic level 500. Guess what? Now you get to turn those weapons that represent hundreds of hours of your time into 1 emeralite ingot! Too bad you can't give them to one of your other level 50 characters, since they're magically bound to you and can't ever be used by anyone else, huh? (think that's improbable? I'm going to have that EXACT problem when you make everything bind)

I see your concern, since the pre-game situation creates an unfair situation for players who have commited an ultra-rare component in the understanding they can re-distribute it. I will consider higher material returns (80%?) for salvaging Emeralite. As stated before, I will allow people to redistribute items before the patch comes in, so you will have the opportunity to salvage as much effort as possible and sell any valuables you have laying around.

After the patch i'm not sure what i'll do to emeralite, as you will be able to anticipate what the changes will cause to your equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:59 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Zach wrote:
Crafted items should, if they will eb affected by this bind rule, only bind on wear, because lets face it, if its bind on touch, then everything the crafter makes only he will be able to use.

Bind on touch is for items that we consider a player should have gathered themselves, ie: quest or special boss-pop items. Crafted items will be bind-on-wear, except for the ultra-common items which have a small impact on the economy.

Zach wrote:
I dont see this being beneficial to crafters though, this bind rule. Kind of more a pain, but do what you must.

Imagine you crafting a level 50 broadsword for Timmy.
Timmy moves on to epic, gives the broadsword to Tommy.
Tommy moves on to epic, gives the broadsword to Tummy,
etc.

Each person who gets that sword, has no reason to buy a new sword from you. Now that isn't so important with just one sword, but imagine a whole economy filled with crafted items made by the best crafters. Thats the issue with the practically once-in always-in system as it is now.

Quote:
About item socketing, how about making it so we can increase the amount of sockets on the item by no more than 2 than it's original, or that we can define(within reasonable limits) the amount of sockets the item will have while being crafted. The more sockets you ask for, the more of a chance of ruining the item, because when you gauge holes into something, you are more bound to screw up the item.

Or have socketing a seperate craft altogether, where the person sockets the item and can place a set value of sockets, or lower than the maximum, and being able to fill sockets would be nice to have as well...

With the new economy in place, I think there will be room for an relatively expensive procedure that adds sockets, up to the weapons max sockets. Not sure if it will fall under enchanting or crafting yet though.

Quote:
Now, on a side note of that, I think this is a good idea, but how about implinting the ability to smelt ingots into coins? :D you could set a time-limitation on the amount, like only permitted to smelt 10 coins per IRL month, and have it be against the law to smelt more of that, if you do then you have a % chance of someone telling the JC, and being jailed.

I would like to avoid flooding the economy with fake coins, esp emeralite ones. ;) That said, I will put coin values on all resources, so you can sell them for some coinage.

Quote:
I dont even know, im just throwing ideas out there, because if the set up is gonna be like this, i can see myself becoming porrer and poorer as it is.

Actually, all those items you've got stored up (? :P just guessing) combined with the fact mobiles are able to spawn more gold than before, it'll be a little bit more on both. (You get more coins, you spend more coins).

I plan on giving every character some free coins based on their level at the time of patch, to even out the poorer people. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:13 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Celeborn, one thing that I'm wondering...I see how a citadel is going to be worth 400 times that of a guild. I'm wondering if I could maybe trade in a citadel for anything...It ma be nice to get some open plots...oh yeah, and for me to create an evil empire of guilds hellbent on domination of the known world! Just kidding, but what will we do about all the citadels in existance? It seems that there are a bit too many for them to really be worth that much more than guilds. Will anything be done to make them worth more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:09 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Celeborn wrote:

Imagine you crafting a level 50 broadsword for Timmy.
Timmy moves on to epic, gives the broadsword to Tommy.
Tommy moves on to epic, gives the broadsword to Tummy,
etc.

Each person who gets that sword, has no reason to buy a new sword from you. Now that isn't so important with just one sword, but imagine a whole economy filled with crafted items made by the best crafters. Thats the issue with the practically once-in always-in system as it is now.

I agree with you on that, to an extent. There are better solutions, for example a warrior could sacrifice his weapon once he outgrows it to gain some bonus xp(maybe about as much as an experience boon, the weapon has to be glorified to at least 85% of its max enchant, the weapon must be at least level 30, must be exceptional quality, must be a weapon that the character is "specialized" with, the weapon must be lower level than the character, can't be used by epic characters or for epic weapons). For level 50+ weapons, give them a value commensurate with material, quality, % of space enchanted, and level, so that they can be sacrificed towards crowning.

You could also enable players to use a lower-level weapon as part of the material requirement for forging a new weapon or upgrading another one; perhaps your level 50 adamantite longsword counts as 50 of the ingots required to reforge your e100 longsword to adamantite, destroying the level 50 sword in the process.

You're also forgetting the fact that most equipment is user-specific; certain classes only use certain weapons, most players are picky about their enchantments(especially stats), and holy avenger/radiance narrow it down further. Crafted equipment sells for a ton, anyways.

My main concern with this patch is not common equipment; having that bind would be unrealistic and somewhat annoying, but I can see how it could be overall beneficial. My concern is with powerful, rare items, like high level jade, diamond, or blue diamond jewellery, and meteorite and emeralite weapons. These items don't flood the market(there's far more demand than supply for all of these) and it's unlikely they will any time soon, and it is a huge loss for one of these to become useless because you outgrew it and can't give it to an alt. Even if you salvage an emeralite item for 80% of its ingots, that is a MASSIVE loss, plus you probably won't have the ingots to make a new item even if you get 80% back. I've sat on 140+ emeralite ingots for months, never being able to get the last few to reforge an item.

Another possibility, if you absolutely insist on making items bind(and it is stil a bad idea), you could have them bind by account, deity, or something else that allows you to transfer powerful items such as emeralite equipment to your alts once your main character outgrows them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:17 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Nuitari wrote:
Another possibility, if you absolutely insist on making items bind(and it is stil a bad idea), you could have them bind by account, deity, or something else that allows you to transfer powerful items such as emeralite equipment to your alts once your main character outgrows them.

I'll consider it. I think you've made your opinion clear. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:06 am 
 WWW  Profile

My only concern is the proposal of changes to the current crafting/enchanting/upgrading system. I am still am trying to figure out how this will benefit crafters - it all appears complicated. But as I am open-minded, I will wait until the test port it opened to experiment. I am not unhappy with the current crafting/enchanting system, only I would like to see the roll of making a master piece item increased, but that's minor, and makes the game more challengable anyway. :D

Everything else sounds awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:35 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

not to worry, it will make things simpler

you will be able to craft faster and easier than before, i believe what celeborn is intending is that once you learn to make masterpiece crafted equipment, you will always succeed in creating one in all future attempts.

i could be mistaken on that, but i think that was his plan

formulas will be introduced to make crafting simpler. (kind of like the old blueprint system, sorta)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:26 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

i kinda stop reading after celeborn's post, but one thing caught my eyes.

"When a player is skilled enough to craft an item, and pays the resources for them, he will always succeed. "

WOW. i should have saved all those blue diamonds!!!

btw, i'm really glad that DL is attempting to fix the economy.

I am excited to see what will happen to warfare/nations in DL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:52 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Just an addition, people asked me if these changes affect ownership of citadel, shops, etc.

Simple answer, no. :)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:28 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Isabelle wrote:
asking for things like adding extra infinite sockets will eventually result in sockets/runes being made much less powerful.
Ok about the infinite sockets there should be a max sockets 5 only
Quote:

1 white shard - customizing your pet - purchasing a rare pet
i do like the idea to purchase a rare pet other then gryphons :)
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:33 pm 
Dual-Avatar

zidane wrote:
i do like the idea to purchase a rare pet other then gryphons :)

Are you implying that gryphons are rare? Also, the point of it is that pretty much no one should be able to get a white shard...if put in properly, i dont think many people will be able to purchase rare pets...just in case, make it 10 white shards! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hey, I still sell grpyhon eggs for 50k on many occasions. I think gryphons ARE still rare as long people don't hand the eggs out like candy :wink:

Post subject: pets
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:48 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nellwyn wrote:
Hey, I still sell grpyhon eggs for 50k on many occasions. I think gryphons ARE still rare as long people don't hand the eggs out like candy :wink:
This is what im talking about if you find a pet and type pet score and its under Creature: Gryphon, Group: Rare, its rare maybe not as rare as dragons.

There an old saying "If it looks like a rabbit and hop like a rabbit then guess what kid it is a Rabbit." Now i know there other animal that hop around but you get the picture. If the Group: has "Rare" on it. Its rare 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:43 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Shows what you know...the grouping Rare with Gryphons and Dragons has nothing to do with its rarity per se. A Warhorse = rare, but its part of the Horse group, a Fire Lizard = rare, part of the Reptile group, a Bat = rare, but is part of the Weird group. The original suppositiion was that any pet in the Rare group was going to be rare, but as we can see with Gryphons this isnt the case but thats because of breeding. Im not disputing the fact that granite eggs are rare since they are, but any "rare" pet doesnt get grouped in the Rare group unless it came from a granite egg, they could have just called the group Awesome or Granite, but theres no common theme among the pets of the Granite egg like there is with the Feline group etc. So i guess they chose Rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:56 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Silvanos wrote:
Shows what you know...the grouping Rare with Gryphons and Dragons has nothing to do with its rarity per se. A Warhorse = rare, but its part of the Horse group
My point is instead of having a regular house you have a Warhouse which is in a rare group :evil:
Silvano-ego wrote:
Shows what you know
Someone need to hug :roll: (the person you love to ignore) maybe celeborn or another caretaker can clear this up in facts 8) and if im wrong then i love to learn more :D because i know silvano is not teaching or helping :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:37 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Silv just taught you about rare pets :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:30 am 

Alright. First... Cele, I'm loving the fact you're upfront with players now, discussing things. I've always had disdain toward developers who refuse to respond and work with those around him. Good to see you speaking up when you used to be so quiet.

Second... Loving the ideas. I just wonder how you're going to try and pull all this off. Good luck, mate. You're going to need it.

Now, for my idealist opinions:

I still stand behind item durability or similar. Seperate from AC reduction. You can only repair something so many times before there's nothing left but duct tape. It'll keep the economy healthy for crafters (make it not just a select service, but a profession- and constant need for resources!) and screams for more guild runs (yay)!

I know you're not going for realism. I can't argue realism is the way to go. But some very real truths could help even in a fantasy setting.

When recieving tokens from destroyed items: PLEASE make it choose a random affect, and PLEASE sometimes simply destroy with no reward (success based off skill?). Speaking of which, the entire MUD's euipment list needs a serious overhaul. There are some very whacked items out there. Why spell up when you can just remove all and wear all? Sigh.

To be continued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:16 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I believe the desired effect when salvaging items/disenchanting them is that there is X percent chance of getting [item1] and x percent chance of getting [item2] and maybe a real low x percent chance of getting [item3]

something like that, and the quantity of the items received will also be a variable.

But, that may or may not happen right away, it may be a thing we work towards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:50 am 

I wouldn't wanna do it. Too much work. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:29 pm 

i just have a few questions.
first what will happen to current crafters?
What will happen to auction?
Last of all how will current eq be affected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:41 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

crafters will not be affected except that they will be able to use items to get resources from them.

enchanters will be affected as we are changing how enchanting works

auction will not be affected

current equipment we have not decided upon how we will handle it.
My personal preference would be to wave a magic wand, and remove all enchantments, allowing everyone to join the new system, at once.
That may not be possible, so giving players a /reason/ to disenchant/salvage their current gear would be the way to handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:17 pm 
Dual-Avatar

What about eq that we've dumped glory in? I have tens of thousands of glory in my current eq, much of it used to put enchantments on mob eq. Is that just going to be wiped out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:00 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

i realize you dont really read my posts here, but let me repeat, again..
i will attempt to highlight parts that you /should/ read if you wish to.

*current equipment we have not decided upon how we will handle it.*

*My personal preference would be to wave a magic wand, and remove all enchantments, allowing everyone to join the new system, at once.*

***That may not be possible, so giving players a /reason/ to disenchant/salvage their current gear would be the way to handle it.***

is that helpful?

I know, as you have stated to me, there is a deep philosophical reason for not having balance, balance is bad, the only real muds are the imbalanced ones, which give players a purpose and reason to overcome the obvious setbacks that are against them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:25 am 

One of the MAIN reasons for my retirement was the removal of anti-align flags and the addition of (Ancient) tags on equipment, ultimately making 2 1/2 years worth of work completely useless. I was devout with completely pumped items (which, by today's standards are obsolete).

I worked hard for my stuff, only to find that after JADE my character became lame and laughable.

I was NEVER offered any compensation (not to say I should have) and NO one... I repeat, NO ONE had as much as I did to lose at the time. I was on Top 10 lists all over the place (#1 HIGH HP was mine for the longest time), only to log one day to find my main about as powerful as a goldfish outta water. All that time and work for nothing. It still pisses me off.

With the advent of Epics, which I still to this day claim to be completely FUBAR. Honestly, epics have ruined the entire latter portion of the game. Simply because anyone with lots of time can easily widdle away day-in and day-out in epics, beefing their character to insane heights.

Back in the day 100 glory was almost unheard of to the common player. It took forever to get close to that amount through quests.

Now? Everyone can obtain enough epic xp to boost their character to almost no end with little work... just time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next