Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Add/Remove pets
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:57 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Hmmmm though there are alot of pets out in alora....mebbe we should continue to diversify them like adding new rares and fosilized...and all
Perhaps this can be counter balanced by getting rid of pets people dont ever keep or ignore the eggs ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:59 am 
Dual-Avatar

Hmm...I like the idea of new pets, other than just the custom pets which I am seeing more of lately. I do not think a pet should be taken out from underuse though, I would rather take out the commonly used ones and buff up the underused a bit.

Post subject: ahhh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:01 am 
 E-mail  Profile

hmmm i c your point., so this again strings in with your gryphon thing....overly used makes em go poof.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:04 am 
Dual-Avatar

Not necessarily poof, but pop less in eggs, more chance of dying while hatching, and harder to concieve. If someone truly wants the pet, it should be possible...unless they're outnumbering all other pets 2:1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:40 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I'd just like the ferret removed from the Rodent group :P Its a weasel, not a rodent ;)

I'd really like to see all the pets restructured. The pets that exist today are really the first attempt at pets.. Unlike some systems that have been tinkered with and changed after introduction, the original pets brought in to test the system kinda just stuck around and have never had any real work done on them.

I'd also like to see some pets based on your character level (I believe epic pets have been mentioned), or that evolve. Obviously, a hamster is always a hamster and useless to anyone but a level 5. What if you could take that hamster though, enlarge him to 4 feet tall, and give him a razor blade spine? :)

Maybe what we need for epic pets isn't new pets, but a way to "add on" to the old pets, to evolve them into new creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:05 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

maybe there can be like ....a pet shop. not like pet shop pet shop, but like....autobody shop, where you can get your pets jacked for $$$$$. Like steroids etc. Or maybe you can go to some kinda taxidermist and make a "meat puppet" pet. (meat puppets are constructed out of diff animals) And you could choose from the pets you have what you wanted. For instance, "lets see, I want my horse to have the dragon's wings, the wyvern's tail, aaaand...oh heck, lets give it the troll's internal organs so it can regenerate on its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:07 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I agree to some extent, the pets that we have today are basically nice astral points and have no real use in battle. Though i did get my pet to tank while leveling in Arma :P so epic pets would be nice. And evolving would be a very nice addition since many older players have gryphons that were rare in their day but are a dime a dozen today. Im not sure if you'd just base it on age and every pet type then gets a random evolvement every 500 or 1000 years or create things like droplets of different sorts that produce different traits. Like you feed your pet either one or several vials and after a certain unit of time they evolve the first trait, then the 2nd etc = to the # of vials u fed them. Theres also been ideas about giving pets armor, specific to their type. Like horses with barding, a horned helm, magic horseshoes, etc. Dragons with extra sharp claws, larger horns etc etc. But it has to match the pet type. Like u cant have a hamster with horns and horse barding on. For some pets like horses this would make them more attractive since other better pets might not be able to wear so many things.
I think more pet types might be ok, but it doesnt have to be much. There are already plenty pet types out there. And as a pet collector i know this very well.
lol i just saw the thread about pet eq :P ill keep it here tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:37 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

I am glad someone brought up this topic because pets are currently not where they should be.
Some pet toys should be gone. Alot of pet toys actually do more harm than good. For example: the fly trick. a hamerster should not be able to fly, only animals with wings should be allowed to fly. This will make certain pets more useful.

Also, i like to see a boost in their skills. For example: a horse should have a grip of movement and can trave great distances. Another option that we can do is to add/delete time lag from traveling from one room to another depending on what pet you're riding on. If you're riding on an elephant, expect to have lot of time lag traveling from one room to another. If you're on a horse, then it be almost instantaneous. Here are some of the inate abilities that cross my mind.

Dragon - Fly bonus. fire breath. Damage bonus.
Gryphon- Fly bonus, attack bonus, small damage bonus
Horse - speed bonus, movement bonus
Warhorse - speed bonus, movemtn bonus, extra AR for rider bonus
bat - extra LOS(Lenght of sight) at night(when in the same room with pet). fly bonus
eagle - fly bonus, extra LOS to owner if in the same room
dog - tracking bonus
cat - jump/clime bonus(when riding)
Hamster - ?

well, you get the idea. The point is that alot of toys should be gone and replace with or reinforce the currently inate ability.

lingolas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:56 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Lingolas:
Pet tricks that do more harm then good make sense... after all its not a perfect world and not everything helps

I believe that the 'fly' trick is a quote ' magical ' endquote trick. This means it doesnt have to be realistic.... Let's face it, In DL, anything can fly if affected by the fly spell... This is as same as having the spell.

And Elephants can also move quite fast when they want to :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:29 am 
 YIM  Profile

if races without wings can fly aka anything except pixies why should hamsters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:25 am 
Tri-Avatar

kiasyn wrote:
And Elephants can also move quite fast when they want to :P

Word. They can run at like 26mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:05 am 
 YIM  Profile

wow that is fast :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:57 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

pachyderms (spelling) are my heroes :D
i wonder how many mice get trampled daily from them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:37 pm 
Dual-Avatar

As sneaky as an elephant can be. And i've seen some pretty sneaky elephants. :lol:

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:20 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

theres this one elephant, and i swear to god, hes always hiding behind a telephone pole right behind me :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Chilliwack wrote:
theres this one elephant, and i swear to god, hes always hiding behind a telephone pole right behind me :|
chilliwack what your talking about involve a cleric to heal you from this elehant a illusion 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:55 am 

How bout Dino eggs. The low lvl eggs could be like those little green ones in Jurasic Park 2, and Raptors, Those huge ones with the shell and big tail, T. Rex, see where im going with this? Just imagine saying 'order pet eat mouse' and then seeing your Raptor eat a mouse. :twisted: Im just saying ya know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I think that if ALL pet eggs was not as common as they are now it would be great

Also remove pet fertility droplets to remove over breeding so that this whole "too many of this pet thing" stops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:41 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

i agree with kamseki, a pet having the ability to have lots of eggs (even if it is limited) is a bad idea, with fertility drops its still possible to make the number of pets of 1 kind skyrocket, heck its still possible to do it without them, but then again there is no real way to fix it without taking out pets all togeather