It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rules for Dark Legacy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:02 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

A few rules to remember

Unless an area is being totally trashed, rooms deleted, name changed, the
works, you must retain the same storyline as the author intended originally.
It is unethical, and illegal to take someone elses area, and just fix a couple typos and call it your own.

No area may ever be taken from a TSR module, or campaign. TSR has strict copyright on their products, and you cannot copy their works. (even though it would be fun to do so)

The areas may not conflict with the theme of the mud, entering in new gods or deities or having the area describe how the world was created contrary to the official theme would be in conflict.

You do not need to make room descriptions huge, the trick is to make a good quality description, without too much useless information. Avoid too many flowery, or long words which might not be understood by most people, you want the area to be easily read, and understood, and allow the player to flow from one room to the next, sparking their imagination. This is kind of like a book you are writing, each room being like a page.

i think that will cover it, the admins will be around to help you with
questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:12 am 
Dual-Avatar

We have a kender mob named Tasslehoff Burrfoot, which is ripped straight from TSR's Dragonlance campaign setting(actually, as far as I know, kender themselves are exclusive to Dragonlance). Kendermore is the kender homeland in Dragonlance.

I also remember references to Tanis, one of the most famous heroes of Dragonlance, and Elminster, one of the most powerful mages in Forgotten Realms.

In the story of Dark Legacy, I remember reading about the Red, Black, and White Moons that spellcasters draw their power from, which is straight from the 4th age of Dragonlance; the 3 gods of magic(Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari) and their moons which spellcasters draw power from.

"Raistilin" is a "powerful mage" in DL who seems suspciously familiar to "Raistlin", the most powerful mage in Dragonlance.

Tarsonis was one of the major port cities in the 3rd age of Dragonlance.

I think our Khellendros is a human, but Khellendros was one of the two most powerful dragon overlords in Dragonlance 5th age.

I don't know if mobs, room descs, or storyline material that no one ever leads can violate copyrights or not. If they can, TSR can probably sue DL a hundred times over ; )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:45 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Tarsonis is stolen from Starcraft, ironically. :)

There should be nothing in DL's stories about moons and magic being related, not since prisms were added. Please point me to the quotes if so, so I can adjust them. See the theme command for the story about how the prisms came about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:40 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Oh cool, they updated the theme. No more ripping off Dragonlance's moons, now it's FF4's light/dark crystals. Go us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:25 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Nuitari wrote:
Oh cool, they updated the theme. No more ripping off Dragonlance's moons, now it's FF4's light/dark crystals. Go us!

Hardly. The prism theme has nothing in common with FF4 other than being "crystalline" .. The theme is completely different. The dark "prisms" aren't even active parts of the game, just a feature of the theme. Or are you suggesting light/dark, good/evil, order/chaos, is something Square invented?

After Celeborn changed to prisms, I rewrote the theme to have a new explaination for magic based off the deity theme, which is based around Mithrill (Order) and Balthildis (Chaos).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:30 pm 
Dual-Avatar

No....FF4 had a single crystal which was shattered into two sets of crystals: the Light Crystals and the Dark Crystals. DL's theme has a similar concept. I'm sure DL didn't really copy the idea from FF4, but it is an interesting coincidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:33 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Nuitari wrote:
No....FF4 had a single crystal which was shattered into two sets of crystals: the Light Crystals and the Dark Crystals. DL's theme has a similar concept. I'm sure DL didn't really copy the idea from FF4, but it is an interesting coincidence.

Er, I don't recall that much from FF4. I just remember there being four light and four dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:57 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Meh. I have an annoying tendency to remember a lot of useless things. FF4 was great, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:49 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

actually we do have some black and dark crystals :) i'm sure i gave some out for a quest that i made up about a year ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:51 am 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

They shouldn't exist then, and need to be renamed. The dark prisms are completely different from the light prisms.