Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Area Concerns - Theme - Please Read
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:35 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I need a list of areas

(1) which use a theme of some sort from a book or movie
- example Kendermore, taken from TSR i believe
- example Swamp of the Dark Mage (with the whole book of the dead, etc)

(2) which are set outside of dark legacy's storyline
- example - the gods section in blasted lands
- example - the seths fortress (i think it calls him a god)
- others may be demonweb, xchantharus

(against the theme means, any mention of a deity or god, or a storyline which conflicts with what magic is, or how races were created, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:02 am 
Dual-Avatar

I don't believe Seth's calls him a god...From what I understand, he's a crazy Dread Lord (I don't /think/ it's in the sense of Lord/God). When he pops his weapons, I don't think it names a god either, I believe it just says 'some dark god' or something along those lines. Of course, I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:11 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I suppose Armageddon could be considered somewhat un-Alora-ish with Babylon and a concept of Heaven, and He Who Sits on the Throne, and there being an Arch-angel.
Castle of Mystical Angels?
Goraths Fiendish Zoo i think a bit, since you can buy balloons and theres janitors, which are all basically modern concepts, just a rename would fix it.
Hall of Worlds is a name that came from Raymond E. Feists books unless its a coincidence, but i doubt it because of the tavern at the end. That was also in the books. The mobs and areas themselves are totally different.
The name Caralain Grass comes from the Wheel of Time.
Chessboard can also be considered deviant.
thats what i can come up with.

Post subject: Condensed Areas so far
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:44 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Armageddon - Outside of theme (replace)

Seth's Area - his description calls him a god, room descriptions might also make such references - outside of theme (replace)

Blasted Lands desert - gods section outside of theme (pyramids) (remove gods section)

Xchantharus - possibly outside of theme with respects to 'the beginning' - have someone check. (preferrably fix)

Hall of worlds - trash tavern, have someone check to see if the mini-areas are similar to worlds in the book. (fix)

Swamp of Dark Mage - remove reference to book of dead, and the deadite king, and have someone examine it for other discrepancies. (fix)

Kendermore - rename of all mobs and area (replace - or fix)

Gorath's fiendish zoo - fix balloons (fix)

Caralain Grass - Rename area (fix)

Castle of Mystical Angels - have someone examine it for intances of irregularities with the theme. (angels by themselves don't necessarily conflict with the theme - up for debate) (fix or replace)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:45 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

For Seth I wouldnt necessarily replace the area, it could be fixed by calling him a demi-god? or a demon lord or some such?

Hall of Worlds: I can personally assure you that none of the areas are anything like the book. In the book the hall itself and one or two worlds were used, thats it.

In Kendermore theres a mob named Tasslehoff Burrfoot, thats a direct steal from the Dragonlance books, a main char in fact.

Zoo also has popcorn i think

I agree sort of about the angel thing, however no precedent has been set in the DL theme about heaven and hell and the gods that would rule those two things? and if so, then armageddon could be renamed?

Post subject: Armageddon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:22 am 

The word Armageddon refers to the hill and valley of Megiddo in Israel. There is a prophecied battle in the Bible that is supposed to take place there.

Also Rivandor, Urvick, and Thog...

Post subject: please note:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:36 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Don't be too worried about whether an area is either fixed or replaced, eventually dark legacy will not have stock areas at all, so if we can get a few good replacements created for not commonly used areas, or replacements for areas which conflict with the mud's storyline, its not too bad.
Areas like xchantharus i would prefer to keep, the storyline is excellent, and theres so much to do. Others, which are rarely used, i'm not too worried about losing.

but thanks for the input, this is something we can work with once bport comes up.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]