Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Show us our Darkest Legacy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:23 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

For the longest time I keep on asking myself the question "why is DL losing steam?"
throughout the years, others and I have came up with many answers to this sad, but highly important question.

I thought it was because of the administrators at first. That may have been true to some extent but it was merely a ripple from a sand in an ocean. Sure some people left DL because they were frustrated with the administration. At one point, even the caretakers themselves were divided over difference of opinions. When I really think about it, I realize that DL had the most members when the caretakers were bickering at each other. And besides, along with some damaging words, rocks and stones were always tossed around at high velocity in certain aimed direction. Come to think of it, other MUDs must have it too, but yet some strive with populations of hundred thousands while others rapidly spiral down the path of defeat and eventually plunge to their overdue death. There must be another explanation, a bigger one, a more justifiable one. So, what could justify the death of MUDs if it's not because of the administrations?

Perhaps, it is not the drama above the clouds in the land of the invincible, nor in DL case, the secret dark dungeon that is embeded with countless emeralites and dazzling blue diamonds awating for a new home of a honest but unfortunate adventurer or a two-face, manipulative soul; it is the drama in the cobblestoned streets, the drama in foul tavern, the drama in terribly over used dungeons, the drama at cornerstone pillars, the drama tainted in notes across cities, and lastly but not least, the drama over the ever popping out of characters channels. In short, it is the drama between players. I can think of a few names of people who have quit over the years because their cerebral cortex couldn't handle the stress of unsatisfying popping colorful texts. Could it be that they have no control ove r their amydala? Whatever the case, quitting seems to be the easy way to surrender. But this cannot be the mortal blow to MUDs, if this was the case, what MUD could exist besides Happy Chocolate Bunny Realm? New players are constantly filling in the gaps that are left behind by older players, so surely, quarreling among mortals cannot be the terminal pathology, something else must be amiss.

Could competitive exclusion be the primary reason why some MUDs can't survive? Could MUDwenian evolution be the primary key? Let's face it, there's only so many games that one can play in a 24 hours period. There's not enough space for all games to survive in the electronic world as long as time is limited. Who's will sign up for Carpal Turner's Syndrom when they can sign up for hack, slash, shoot, and sometime heal with a single click of a mouse? Games like World of Warcraft are not only more satisfactory to the ears but more stimulating to the visual center of the cerebellum. It is only natural that the fittest survive and the unfit be weeded out of the game pool. However, when one examines games like Runescape, and Tibia, which hasn't changed much over the decade. Their elementary approach to game play hasn't changed a single bit, yet, they are more popular among youths than George W. Bush. Perhaps, because games like like Runescapes have found a suitable niche in the e-world that allow them to coexist. Why cant MUDs find their own niche and coexist too? I think that they do have their own niche, they can coexist. Gaming evolution is not what is killing MUDs, it is something else...

I finally realize the answer to my own question. I realize that MUDs don't die because they are stamped out or because they are internally faulty. Just like every human babies are born with a death sentence attached, MUDs too are born with a death sentence. MUDs die when they are beaten. Just like a game, Most people tend to stop playing when they have beaten it. Like Final Fantasies, you are done when you have killed the finally boss. It can be argued that you can still do side quests, keep on leveling up, or kill optional bosses, but that does not excuse a player from beating the game as intended by the creator.

Dark-Legacy is no exception, a player who finds himself or herself doing the same thing over and over again because there isn't anything else worth doing is in fact has beaten the game. That is not to say that there isn't something else that person cannot do, it just isn't WORTH doing. There are tons of things on Dark Legacy that I haven't done. I havent gotten to level 1000, I havent gathered the most resources, I havent obtained the most money or token, I havent found Seth, and I havent defeated the most powerful player in a pvp combat. However, I have beaten the game because for me to continue to compete in Dark legacy competitively, I will have to repeat the same thing over and over and over again and again and again. It is at this point that I realize that I have beaten the game. Many people have too beaten Dark legacy without realizing it. When they do, if ever, they will leave DL and possiably never come back. Just like putting away a game that you have beaten in a box and then put that box in the basement. Years go by and you forget that you even had that game. When you finally rediscover it, you don't find it oddly not entertaining and wonder why you had ever liked it in the first place.

Fortunately for DL, there are expansion packs that can be added on. I'm not talking about patches, patches are meant to fix things, I'm talking about full blown expansion packs. Alora is a big place, i see lots of rivers, mountains, hills and valleys, that's alot of space available for some extra "#" don't you think? Guildwars did a great job of packing new stuff to the old plate, why can't DL? DL has much to offer. The key is not to change old things that we have come to love, the key is to give us more to adventure. Show us a new horizon that we have boldly claimed to have reached, show us a deeper and more dangerous dungeon than the ones that we have explored, show us a more magnificient city than the ones that we have witnessed, show us the most terrifying beasts than the ones that we have slained...SHOW US THE DARKEST LEGACY.

LINGOLAS

Post subject: Re: Show us our Darkest Legacy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:39 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

ignore the grammies and enjoy the ideas.

Post subject: Re: Show us our Darkest Legacy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:05 pm 
Lowbie

Just checking changes and saw this post... heres my thoughts:

Its about gameplay and longivity, its not about muds vs graphical.
DL's longivity consists of items and off the chart scaled levels, which is almost like diablo II, which attracts some players.

However I prefear games that focus on the fight( broad spectrum of tactics,strategies team synergy and has high competition in PVP) instead of focusing on the material things. ( you can bet I've played alot of guild wars )

Even thought the mining was very entertaining here.