Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Epic Questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:05 am 
Arch-Caretaker

I wanted to start an open discussion about Epic Level part of the game.

Epic levels have provided an open ended game for quite some time. What I'm wondering is is having no roof to epic advancement fullfilling in your opinion? Is it true there a glass ceiling at about e800?

I'm asking because I've provided the Caretakers with better tools for building epic areas and quests, and I've come to the conclusion balancing against potentially unlimited levels calls for far too complicated solutions (either we get ever scaling mobs that almost but not quite fit the bill, like epics, we curb advancement benefits so e1000 isn't much different from e20000, or we only build for the main population of epic players meaning after e800+ there isn't anything to do).

I see a benefit to limiting epic levels to say e1000 and instead providing a means to broaden your character from XP earned from then on, like working on additional classes, exchanging it for glory, buying enhancements to your character, etc. This allows us to make some fun epic game content without it getting too diluted and gives everyone in the game something to aim for.

Let me hear your epic thoughts!

Post subject: Re: Epic Questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:19 am 
Lowbie

how about each time you hit e1000(which is the cap,for the purpose of this suggestion), you add another class, but go back to level 1 and its like 1/1/1/1 and until you have 7 classes... you have your 3 class epic title. At 7/8/9 classes, we could make new ones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:34 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Nobody that can tell me how they experience the open endedness (the infinite levelling) of epics like it is now? nobody? :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:53 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

i actually like the endless leveling, its one of the reasons i like dl so much :), i dont know how you can tweak it just yet, but ill think on it as hard as i can

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:20 am 
Arch-Caretaker

ShanaArkai wrote:
i actually like the endless leveling, its one of the reasons i like dl so much :), i dont know how you can tweak it just yet, but ill think on it as hard as i can

So in your opinion it doesn't break down after a certain level? I'm mainly interested in discovering where epic works for you guys and where it doesn't, instead of input on ideas how to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

well the main reason i like epics so much is the treasure, the glory, and the complexitys. although i do have to admit it gets boring doing the same thing over and over and over and over.

i cant really say for sure how it is past e800 since i have yet to get that far (im still around e550) but i know the higher you get the worse the exp is, meaning it takes much longer to get a level, and gets boring alot faster.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:48 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

It gets boring after awhile indeed. But once you start to epic more you can focus more on influencing others( Raolas comes to mind.... >_>), working on crafts and enchanting, working on your citadel, working on descriptions and roleplay, and trying to get rich, or get on any hi list, or trying to help maintain a guild or even make a guild.
I would say that it gets boring. I must admit I love to level, but that's because I want to feel accomplished and get ahead of everyone else... and not get left behind in the dust when all my amigos end up at e800.
I also want to level because I picked a kind of bad epic class... >_< So hopefully the more levels I get the better I'll get.
I'm a White Magician by the way.
Anyway, with endless leveling and the way it kind of gets boring after awhile it has made people focus more on other things too.

I like your idea of once you reach e1000 then maybe that's the limit and then you can do cool stuff with all your glory and xp.
But then how soon will people reach e1000. and how soon will they use all the benefits they can get from there?
After that what happens? Working on an extra class?
Well like gsman said if we drop us back down to 1/1/1/1 then it would definitely take some time to get back up to e1000 again to get extra benefits and stuff.
But would people go for it? I know I would. Definitely. I'd love to add a class to my classes. LOL.
But, if any of this came to pass, the benefits of reaching e1000, the extra class, etc, how quickly would people go through all that get the extra class and become bored since they can't level anymore? With the endless roof it always leaves the option of trying to get higher, farther and better.
Another important question is how would the benefits affect the game? How would teh extra class affect the game? Would people be at such a great advantage that maybe someone could actually kill the bunny down under Tarsonis?
Would the game really be a challenge anymore besides epics for that character? I'm not sure of the changes would be drastic enough to affect the gameplay like that, but it is something to definitely think about.
Anyway, I think that's all that I can think of right now.
I hope some of that helps. And I can definitely elaborate on any of it. =)
Hope that also gives other players ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:36 pm 
Lowbie

perhaps cap the number of classes at 5? and then you could erm... level endlessly?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:57 pm 
Mud Imp
 E-mail  Profile

Celeborn wrote:
So in your opinion it doesn't break down after a certain level? I'm mainly interested in discovering where epic works for you guys and where it doesn't, instead of input on ideas how to fix it.

*coughs*.... pay attention to Celeborn people... lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Oh... >_<
Well, as Raolas constantly states, epics isn't nice on spellcasters.
Magic spells can only have so many fecs in them etc, so sooner or later you can only deal out so much damage compared to a more physical person who get stringer as time goes by and as levels increase, etc, so if maybe the cap on fecs was highered or even removed it may help there.
I think someone said about making the cap higher depending on level so that a newb isn't running around with an arrow spell with 7 fecs in it.
Other than the problem Raolas has pointed out, you can get about 10 xp per monster or less around e1000 I think it is. That is horrible. 500 monsters must be killed to epic. But of course, if you higher the xp gained for everyone from a monster then soon peopel will be e1500 and complaing the xp is too low. So that won't solve anything. Maybe some other way to level or something.. no idea... I mean, I think it makes sense. As you get to a higehr level it just gets harder to level. That's normal.
But I'm just pointing out what people complain about.
Let's see...
Lots of people die in any of the dungeons with traps because they don't have enough save or whatever. Maybe if the required save complex was lowered that may help.
Another problem I constantly face is that my magic always bends around my opponents in the dungeons. Maybe I just suck... >_>
Or maybe not... but either way, I can't cast breath on the blasted spiders! =P
Other than these thoughts I can't think of anything else at the moment. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:03 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

In response to Celeborn's question, there is definitely a glass ceiling for epiccers. In my experience, I find it difficult to level in the 800s. Even though it is difficult to level up, it is not impossible.

I don't think we should put any limit to how many levels a player can level up to. What i like to see is that the mobs get so strong that players cannot easily defeat.

One of the problems that dark legacy players face is boredom. At a certain point, there's really one two things left to do on Dark Legacy. 1. Epic, 2. mine. Both of these tasks are repetitive and at times -- boring. A player can only mine and epic for so many years before they give up.